Nokia 830 RM 984/ 985 What are the differences?

oshintao

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
How do you know the Microsoft store version is the 985? I didn't see anything on the site that specified which version it is.

Just start a conversatin with a special tech from Microsoft, or even you can go to the store and ask if you want.
I asked them they told that specific pone will work with T-Mobile LTE.

Good Luck!

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Just start a conversatin with a special tech from Microsoft, or even you can go to the store and ask if you want.
I asked them they told that specific pone will work with T-Mobile LTE.

Good Luck!

But the 983 will also work with T-MO LTE. It seems very likely it is the 985, but just wondered how it was confirmed to be the 985.

oshintao

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
But the 983 will also work with T-MO LTE. It seems very likely it is the 985, but just wondered how it was confirmed to be the 985.

TDamn all that I wrote disappear.
Well to rresume went to the Microooft Store today Friday and I check the specs of the L830 unlocked that they had on exhibition, so yes this one it support band 2 (17000 and 2100) so you will have LTE, I also speak with a rep and he told me yes , but just to be 10000% sure I asked him if I bring my sin card from T-Mo can I put on the exhibition device to try ? They told that yes , so if you still aren't sure you can try with your sin card . I couldn't BC mine is micro sin and the beautiful/sexy/model L830 use nano. This Monday in gonna change to MetroPC BC I can have 4GLTE unlimited for 60$ its much cheaper than T-Mo( current carrier 80$) and I will go with my nano sim

Yes!! After so many difficult days I'm ready to pay 499$ for the L830 unlocked from the store , the warranty its a lot for me I quit on the idea of the L1520 even if its double specs on hardware.

Plus the DC-21 its kinda expensive and you will find cheaper on amazon but I'm afraid to burn the battery with those brands.

So , good luck!!!

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

I haven't looked myself (already have 985 from b&h) but one could verify by going to Settings->extras+info and look for the "Manufacturer Name" field. Mine says "RM-985_1005".

For future reference ;)

oshintao

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I haven't looked myself (already have 985 from b&h) but one could verify by going to Settings->extras+info and look for the "Manufacturer Name" field. Mine says "RM-985_1005".

For future reference ;)

Can u believe that I didn't come up with that idea?? I feel so...... :) !!! Thanks for the tip!

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
To bring up T-Mobile USA again, I just flashed my RM-985 with RM-984 firmware because I am way too impatient for Denim and surprisingly I still have LTE at least in Chicago. It also seems that I still have HSPA+ here as well. I think I probably lost the AWS bands but it does not seem to have an effect.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
To bring up T-Mobile USA again, I just flashed my RM-985 with RM-984 firmware because I am way too impatient for Denim and surprisingly I still have LTE at least in Chicago. It also seems that I still have HSPA+ here as well. I think I probably lost the AWS bands but it does not seem to have an effect.

Something I would never ever do it or advice anyone to. A Windows Phone with supported AWS bands is a rare gem (outside of typical T-Mobile WPs), I would really hate to loose it because of being impatient. I have a Rogers Lumia 920 and I know how hard it was to buy it new during launch just so that I could use it on T-Mobile's network

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Something I would never ever do it or advice anyone to. A Windows Phone with supported AWS bands is a rare gem (outside of typical T-Mobile WPs), I would really hate to loose it because of being impatient. I have a Rogers Lumia 920 and I know how hard it was to buy it new during launch just so that I could use it on T-Mobile's network

Oh I would agree. But here in Chicago I seem to have done it without losing anything. It's connecting to all types of service without any issues. I wish I could see what bands I'm connected to so I could see what I lost but oh well. I have denim and somehow still have all types of service so I'm a happy camper.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Does B&H photo offer any warranty? BTW, B&H's latest price is $379!

How long is the US Warranty offered by Microsoft?

-Rich

Even if you flash your phone , it wouldnt work because RM-985 and RM-984 has diferent LTE bands spec, (RM_984 doesnt has 1700 band ) and the most probably its you will end with a non-working phone.

If you want to buy a Lumia 830 RM-985 unlocked, here in the US teres only 2 options ,,,,

1) BH Photo Video ( 449$ no US warranty)
2) Microsoft Store ( 499 $ US warranty)

Both pones are totally unlocked , and you will get 4G LTE with T-Mobile or AT&T.

Good luck!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got a bonus from work and looking into getting the Lumia 830, which is the best version for T-Mobile, I read this thread and I am confused. I think it is the RM-985, and where would be the best place to buy this? The MS Store does sell the 830 unlocked but unsure if it is the RM-985. Any help would be much appreciated.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I just got a bonus from work and looking into getting the Lumia 830, which is the best version for T-Mobile, I read this thread and I am confused. I think it is the RM-985, and where would be the best place to buy this? The MS Store does sell the 830 unlocked but unsure if it is the RM-985. Any help would be much appreciated.

Previous conversation in this thread indicates it is very likely the RM-985. Since it works with T-Mo LTE, it's definitely not the RM-984. I believe the RM-983 (which would also support T-Mo LTE) is only sold under AT&T branding.

Another interesting thing, the RM-983 does not have "Nokia" in the upper right next to the front camera. The RM-984 and RM-985 do. The pictures on MS site show a phone with "Nokia" on the front. It is very likely the RM-985. Odd they don't list what version it really is on their site.

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

I have the unlocked 830 from the ms store on T-Mobile. It is an RM-985 and works great on T-Mobile

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha, thanks. By the way if I'm not mistaken, you may not be able to retrieve LTE connectivity if you go back to an RM-985 rom. You may already know that, but just an FYI. Not that LTE is a huge loss depending on your usage.

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Gotcha, thanks. By the way if I'm not mistaken, you may not be able to retrieve LTE connectivity if you go back to an RM-985 rom. You may already know that, but just an FYI. Not that LTE is a huge loss depending on your usage.

I knew that risk going I although I do know away around it. But to my surprise I still have LTE on the new rom

tablack 1701

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I notice that the date of your post is about a year old as of this writing. How do I confirm if the Lumia 820 will not call by the Wi-Fi network as of this date? Does T-Mobile know about this, and will they admit to it? Where can I go to find out more information about this topic?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss