Finally the 830 is in my hand!

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
First ever Windows Phone, woo hoo!!

I splurged a bit, I agree, but this phone just seemed to be perfect for my requirement (not too low, not too high).

Been tinkering with it for about four hours straight now and I really am in awe!! It did feel a bit too large for my hands at first, what with me coming from a 4-inch droid. But I think it's gonna be fine in the end. :smile:

The rear camera is very good! I guess there's no surprises there. There is good amount of detail and I'm also loving the manual controls. Just shot a photo of the street-lamp lit road with a cranked down shutter speed and the result was superb!! The out-of-pocket to 'click' time is very short too. I guess this is the result of Denim but I'm still waiting for the Lumia Camera app!!

The FFC is giving me grainy results when I tried indoors, though. Let me see how it fares tomorrow in sunlight.

Cortana is available in Alpha, though I'm not really a fan of her British voice. Missing Jen Taylor a lot! Btw, I wonder who made the executive decision that Indians would need the British accent!! Just because we spell words the same as them doesn't mean we speak the same. I'm sure most Indians prefer to have the American accent! Anyway, I'm digressing!

My only gripe with the device is the back cover which is quite delicate and takes a lot of precision to fix it into place. Also, it doesn't cover the camera module thoroughly. When it came out of the box, I could see a significant gap between the edge of the camera module and the cover. Though this can be fixed by correctly placing the cover on the camera first and then clicking everything else into place, I still would have liked this to fit snugly.

Could someone please suggest if I should jump on the Developer Preview bandwagon right away or wait for a while? Seeing that I'm already on the latest software/firmware, I'm not sure what I'd be missing. As of now, nothing comes up when I check my phone for updates.

I'll try to post some pictures here and elsewhere too. Thanks for reading!

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
WP_20141021_01_04_40_Pro[1].jpg

This was the photo of the street I was talking about. Just to clarify, this street was about half as bright as what you are seeing in reality. I had my shutter speed right at the middle of the dial!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Nice, glad to hear you're enjoying your new Lumia 830, I'm debating about it myself, if it's an upgrade from my 920 or not (there's some really strong evidence it is haha).

To answer the question about Developer Preview, I'd sign up, but at the moment, there's nothing on it that you don't already have, but there will be soon. ;)

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
WP_20141021_01_03_21_Pro[1].jpg

A back-lit window. I think it did a decent job here. Though it is a bit grainy when you see up close. (Everything in auto)

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Nice, glad to hear you're enjoying your new Lumia 830, I'm debating about it myself, if it's an upgrade from my 920 or not (there's some really strong evidence it is haha).

To answer the question about Developer Preview, I'd sign up, but at the moment, there's nothing on it that you don't already have, but there will be soon. ;)

Thanks! It really is awesome! As for the 920, Daniel does seem to think it's more of a side-grade to 830! Though I can vouch for the improved snappiness in almost everything! :)

What are your thoughts on 930?

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone! I heard the low light photos looked great on the 830 and your pics look very nice! If you compare it to the other brands 830 stands really high up there specally in low light.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Just "upgraded" from the 920, would never go back - equal or slightly better in virtually every way, LOVE the design and the WEIGHT, THINNESS (didn't think that I would from the pictures), my 920 looks chubby now. screen is nice but viewing angles are worse than the 920.

Akurio_jjm

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Does the Lumia 830 camera shoot in 16:9 at the full 10 MP resolution? Or is it scaled down to 8 MP or something? How is the performance of the phone while web browsing and general app loading times (including camera)?

Looking to buy this phone myself.

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my 830 off of ebay, no official packaging or anything. I guess and early build. Thing is the glance feature and glance options in the settings menu is missing. Its just blank. A real disappointment. But overall the phone is a slight upgrade over my 920 so I'm still quite pleased.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my 830 off of ebay, no official packaging or anything. I guess and early build. Thing is the glance feature and glance options in the settings menu is missing. Its just blank. A real disappointment. But overall the phone is a slight upgrade over my 920 so I'm still quite pleased.

Flash it with the Latin America firmware that's out already

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Does the Lumia 830 camera shoot in 16:9 at the full 10 MP resolution? Or is it scaled down to 8 MP or something? How is the performance of the phone while web browsing and general app loading times (including camera)?

Its a "true" 16:9 Sensor (whatever that means?), but i think its 8,6MP. But i am not sure...

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Its a "true" 16:9 Sensor (whatever that means?), but i think its 8,6MP. But i am not sure...

I think "true" means that the sensor actually is wide as opposed to being quare and just cropping the top and bottom to get 16:9 aspect ratio. So in the end your 16:9 image is actually 10mp because you are using the whole sensor. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

I'm not entirely sure here but most of my latest photos are at 3840x2160. If someone here thinks this should be more, let me know!

Performance is a breeze. Didn't notice any lag, whatsoever. Web pages load quickly and camera starts in 1-2 seconds which is great. When you directly load the camera while the phone is locked by long pressing the camera button, it takes about 3 seconds to load, which again is pretty good!!

WPAnkur

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure here but most of my latest photos are at 3840x2160. If someone here thinks this should be more, let me know!

Performance is a breeze. Didn't notice any lag, whatsoever. Web pages load quickly and camera starts in 1-2 seconds which is great. When you directly load the camera while the phone is locked by long pressing the camera button, it takes about 3 seconds to load, which again is pretty good!!
Does this come with LTE support in India?

Akurio_jjm

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Could you check what's the resolution when taking photos in 4:3 or 16:9? Thanks. :) Great to hear about the performance. I was worried it might be a little slow when running apps and stuff. Also, how fast does the phone lock our location? And does our location get tracked even if mobile data is off?

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Could you check what's the resolution when taking photos in 4:3 or 16:9? Thanks. :) Great to hear about the performance. I was worried it might be a little slow when running apps and stuff. Also, how fast does the phone lock our location? And does our location get tracked even if mobile data is off?
lock is almost instant, indoors it takes sometimes maximum 5 secs till exact location.
ANd what? Without mobile data? Yes of course,....GPS? ?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3