The Quest For the Best Lumia 830 Cases (+Updated w/Reviews!)

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I'm changing the original focus of this thread... slightly. I was on a mission to find a case that didn't look terrible and screw up usability of the buttons, but since I've been accumulating them since I started this, now I'll be providing reviews of the cases I have thus far.

This would be the first case I purchased... and oh, what a horrible place to start. It's a shame this case didn't go well, because I like the way it looks the best. It's not too thick, it's decently protective, and doesn't detract from the natural beauty of the Lumia 830... unfortunately it does one major thing wrong that's a huge dealbreaker for me - it eliminates the tactile feedback from buttons entirely. The Lumia 830 already has comparatively thinner buttons than something like the Lumia 520 or 1020, so case designers have to be very mindful of how the case affects the buttons. The creators of this case did not think this through. Power buttons, the volume rocker and - quite possibly the most offensive - the camera button all feel absolutely HORRID with this case on the phone.
Recommendation: 3/10 - Good-looking, but dysfunctional. Avoid this case at all costs.

No inherent problems with this case. It's mildly protective and adds very little bulk. When I'm wearing any kind of formals, this is the case I use to keep the phone feather-light so it doesn't protrude when in my pockets. Won't do much for the corners of the device, but it at least knows how to stay out of the way when it comes to accessing your buttons.
Recommendation: 7/10 - Zero protective quality, but it's thin and functional. I can recommend this.

This case does a lot right that the Terrapin did wrong, but at the same time it's significantly bulkier. They advertise this as an ultra-slim case but slim is the furthest from what I'd describe this as. It's not bulky to the level of an Aegis Trident or Ballistic Case, but it will add some heft to the device. Can't say I'm a fan of the two-tone design, but that's my own personal preference. The biggest thing is that this actually IMPROVES the usability of the power button, volume rocker and camera launch button. I give them a lot of props for that, and this is the case that's been used the most thus far.
Recommendation: 8/10 - Not ultra-thin, but it does the job well. I can recommend this.

This case has one major asset: it has GREAT protection value. If you're looking for something akin to the industry-leading Ballistic HCs, this would be the case to go for. I've tried this piece of crap, and this hideous button-ruining monstrosity (both of which I actually returned) before finding this case. It will make your thin, light Lumia 830 into a thick, heavy beast... but all the same it's about the most attractive industrial protection I've found thus far. It's also much like the TUDIA TPU case in the sense that it actually makes the super-thin Lumia 830 buttons feel better than they originally do.
Recommendation: 9/10 - Thick, but surprisingly good for the price. I can recommend this.

I'll be updating as I get new cases.

Last edited:

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: I know it's too early to ask, but has anyone found good Lumia 830 case?

I think there might be some on Amazon, though I obviously can't vet any of them yet.

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I've just been using this one for the last week or so.

Nokia Lumia 830 Case, Terrapin [SLIM FIT] Lumia 830 Case [Clear] Premium Protective TPU Gel Case for Nokia Lumia 830 - Full Clear

It isn't anything spectacular, but I like that it's clear and doesn't hardly look like I have a case at all. Mostly, though, I like that it makes the phone just a bit grippier. This is a slippery guy! Yes, it makes the side buttons feel pretty terrible, but for $6 through Amazon it'll do for a temporary solution!

joao91

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I've just been using this one for the last week or so.

Nokia Lumia 830 Case, Terrapin [SLIM FIT] Lumia 830 Case [Clear] Premium Protective TPU Gel Case for Nokia Lumia 830 - Full Clear

It isn't anything spectacular, but I like that it's clear and doesn't hardly look like I have a case at all. Mostly, though, I like that it makes the phone just a bit grippier. This is a slippery guy! Yes, it makes the side buttons feel pretty terrible, but for $6 through Amazon it'll do for a temporary solution!

Does Qi charging work with it? The official cover from Microsoft doesn't protect the corners and covers the screen which for me doesn't make much sense when you have glance screen...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I always use the Amzer two piece case for whatever phone I have. I am using it now with my 1520 and love it. It's about $10 in the WCentral store and it has a soft silicone part with a hard plastic snap on part. I highly recommend it.

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Does Qi charging work with it? The official cover from Microsoft doesn't protect the corners and covers the screen which for me doesn't make much sense when you have glance screen...

Yes, Qi charging works just fine. It's just a clear, rubbery, plastic wraparound for the back and sides of the phone. It does wrap ever-so-slightly around the front corners to hold it in place.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

There are some good choices of Lumia 830 case on ebay.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Went on a case grabbing spree. The one that stood out to me was actually the two toned TUDIA case I was trying to avoid. It actually makes the buttons feel wonderful, it's got some decent protection and it's light.

Not a fan of the two tone style, but it is a very well made case.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I wish they would just release an 830 version of the CC-1043 case Nokia made for the 920. It was thin, grippy, and covered every little bit of polycarbonate-and nothing else. Perfect. I expect we'll see a few more in the coming weeks.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Still no release on that Incipio... but while looking around, I did find this gem!

View attachment 87168

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-T...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2853826

Don't let the low price fool you, this case is awesome! (and much better than the other "rugged" cases we've seen thus far)

Those look good, just can't figure out which color to get. Right now I'm using the green back plate on my 830, and will be looking for an orange plate also.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I did. The protection is decent. and I like the feel. Although, when it comes to looks is ok, but not great.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

I try to go with OEM nokia cases, but all they have is back covers and flip cases. When I bought my device I went with the Incipio NGP cases. I kinda wished they offered more colors, so far they only have black, green and white.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the Incipio "transparent" case that I got from AT&T. It's actually black, not transparent, with some textured horizontal stripes on the back. It's a soft case that provides good protection for the screen and camera. The buttons are easy to use and the grip is excellent. You can see a little of the green back around the camera and the rear speaker. The frame is completely hidden.

I like it, though I'd dealt like something with some color.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't wait and bought the clear Incipio case at the ATT store. Happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism