How bad is "Resuming" on the 830?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've really been looking forward to replacing my cracked 920 with a new 830, but over the last couple of weeks I've become acutely aware of performance issues on my 920. I want to have some confidence that I'm not in for more of the same if I get an 830. I feel like I see "Resuming..." any time I try to do something. It's maddening. Also, IE has crashed a few times recently, and browsing is sluggish. On a few occasions I've tried to take a photo and it looks like the exposure has been turned all the way down and no light comes through. I launched Music for the first time in weeks this morning and it took several attempts to even load. The constant Resuming really kills me though. Is this an 8.1/Cyan thing? Upgrading the OS/firmware seems to have improved the laggy Start screen I had running the Dev Preview, but now this other stuff is creeping up.

All together I'm just starting to feel like the phone is constantly getting in my way. I've even started looking at a 2013 Moto X as an option instead of the 830. Anyone have experiences they can share?

vertigo_x

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I've really been looking forward to replacing my cracked 920 with a new 830, but over the last couple of weeks I've become acutely aware of performance issues on my 920. I want to have some confidence that I'm not in for more of the same if I get an 830. I feel like I see "Resuming..." any time I try to do something. It's maddening. Also, IE has crashed a few times recently, and browsing is sluggish. On a few occasions I've tried to take a photo and it looks like the exposure has been turned all the way down and no light comes through. I launched Music for the first time in weeks this morning and it took several attempts to even load. The constant Resuming really kills me though. Is this an 8.1/Cyan thing? Upgrading the OS/firmware seems to have improved the laggy Start screen I had running the Dev Preview, but now this other stuff is creeping up.

All together I'm just starting to feel like the phone is constantly getting in my way. I've even started looking at a 2013 Moto X as an option instead of the 830. Anyone have experiences they can share?
My 830 is great so far. I don't recall ever seeing the "Resuming..."

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The only time I see resuming js using Skype and Nokia cam ( they are offenders on most WP) but other than that I haven't seen any resuming either

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
That was exactly my situation with 920, I need to hit music app 4-5 times just to open it..and that also full 1 min later....cant leave WP so got a 830 and im very happy no lag at all, music app opens instantly..everything is super smooth compared to 920.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
As a tip, if you have problems opening he music app it's more likely to be the music library causing issues if anything. On the 830 there is another thing to keep in mind and that is don't use a slow sd card in it. I bought a Samsung 64GB PRO series card for mine and with that it works ALOT better then with an old 32GB sandisk. The Samsung card offers around 50MBps read/write while the sandisk offered a low 5MBps, if you use an app that accsses something on said sd card you can imagine the difference. (as an example, If you have photo's set to be stored on sd card the camera app will show a big difference in speed between shots)

As for the resuming i have only seen it resume something once, that was during an 8 hour marathon of installing apps, setting upp accounts, testing games & apps left & right and generally doing silly things as if trying to get the phone to screw up. Mind you i am not running any preview nor am i using a prototype. (denim on RM-984_1005)

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm encouraged by the feedback I've gotten from you guys. I'm going to keep the 920 for two more weeks then probably pick up an 830 as soon as AT&T has them. I'm still thinking about getting a 2013 Moto X sometime soon just to play around, but I could get a cheaper/less pristine one if it's not going to be my daily driver.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It depends:

Someone who consistently closes the apps they use will never see the resuming message.

Someone who uses only WP8.0 apps and never closes them will see the resuming message just as often as they did on the 920, assuming the exact same version of those WP8.0 apps are used.

Any differences you'll notice will be down to a combination of OS version, whether the used apps are for 8.0 or 8.1, and whether the user has OCD (closes apps).

That is why you are getting contradictory reports from different people.

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
But side by side the 830 seems to do better at the "resuming" situation than the 920. So it isn't just about how much ram there is. There are contributions from the SoC architecture (ram speeds, for one). And possibly Denim.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But side by side the 830 seems to do better at the "resuming" situation than the 920. So it isn't just about how much ram there is. There are contributions from the SoC architecture (ram speeds, for one). And possibly Denim.

People are reporting that they see the resuming message less often. That has nothing to do with the SoC. How often you see that message is only related to OS and apps (which apps and whether they are built for 8.0 or 8.1), and how often people close apps.

RAM capacity would be the most important factor, but since both 920 and 830 have 1GB it doesn't play a role in this comparison. The performance of individual components, including RAM performance, can only contribute to shortening the resuming delay, but can't remove it entirely, which changes in memory management made in 8.1 can.

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I've used the 830 for a few weeks now and I have to concur with most comments that "resuming" is faster in 830 vs. 920/925/1020. Especially when using MixRadio the difference is noticeable.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
People are reporting that they see the resuming message less often. That has nothing to do with the SoC.

I said side by side. Opening and closing the same apps on both devices, 920 running Cyan and the latest OS. Aside from that, the anecdotes are piling up that confirm in general usage (where there are more variables), the 830 still seems consistently better here. There's nothing inconclusive about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3