Anybody succeeded at unlocking the 830?

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Did anybody successfully unlock the Lumia 830 yet? I am at my 4th trial at getting a code from an unlocking server and it is always rejected. If you succeed, which site did you use? Note that I am in Canada and using Fido locked 830 and Fido won't unlock it in the first 90 days of subscription/purchase.

Thanks
Ben

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I have done some research and it appears that the service providers do release the unlocking codes at some point. However, they wait as long as possible before releasing the codes. With the new CRTC wireless code of conduct, Service providers must unlock your phone on demand after 90 days at the latest of contract activation and they won't do it before. So I don't think we will be able to unlock our phone before January 2015 at least and probably we will have to go through the service provider to do it.

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks fgaudet. Your answer made me relook at the code of conduct. If you get the phone subsidized on a 2-years contract as I did, they have up to 90 days from the date of contract signature to provide the unlock code. But if you get the phone outright without contract, they must provide you the code right away on your demand. So I phoned Fido back and asked them to buy the balance outright and cancel the contract so they can provide me the code right away. After they charged my credit card, they transfered me to the unlocking department and told me that the unlocking code for my phone is not available yet. They are filling up a request and it can take up to 10 working days to get the code. Unbeleivalable they don't have the unlocking code for phones they are selling. I give them this 10 days and if still no code, then I will fill up a complaint at the CRTC

Last edited:

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to confirm a few different things for those who may be interested. First, Fido and Rogers and for that matter Telus are selling the exact same Lumia 830 phone. I know this because I was in Canada and went to physical stores for all three and asked to see actual working phones, not fake plastic floor sample demos, and looked at the specs on the boxes as well as had them take the phones out of the boxes and took the back plate off the phones to look at the model number. All are the same RM-985 variant and all of the boxes had the exact same frequencies listed, so I wouldn't believe anything you see listed on the carrier's websites as those are far more likely to be incorrect vs. the actual devices.

Second, as far as unlocking Telus right away offered to sell me a full price 830 for $500 and unlock it right away. Rogers and Fido both gave me the same BS about waiting 90 days for an unlock code even if I bought the phone off contract. Fido has the lowest off contract price right now of $400 if you buy it with a "prepaid plan" which really is meaningless, so that's what I bought, gambling that I could find an unlock code on the web somewhere. As others have now found out, I was wrong; these phones seem to be too new to have unlock codes available anywhere. Luckily before I left Canada I read the fine print on Fido's site and saw that they WILL in fact unlock phones bought off contracts without the waiting period so I called customer service back to try to get the unlock code and that's when the "fun" started. To get the unlock from Fido you have to pay them $50 and they have to charge that to an actual Fido account. They can't set that up over the phone, so I had to go back to a physical store and setup a real pre-paid account and buy $60 worth of credit for that account. And after all of that I found out the same bad news that Rogers / Fido haven't entered any of the 830's into their unlock database yet. I was told it would take 5 business days back on the 21st, and I have since escalated twice and have now been promised it will for sure be done by Tuesday.

My guess is that once Rogers / Fido enter the phones into their database we'll see the same unlock codes pop up on the typical for sale sites elsewhere on the web as well, but who knows. For now, it seems that unlocking the 830 is a strictly carrier only process and will take approx. 2 weeks at best, although YMMV.

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yep exactly the same thing. Biggest mistake is become Rogers/Fido customer. The minute I have my phone unlocked I am gone.

Please llyaBU, let us know the progress you are making.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to confirm a few different things for those who may be interested. First, Fido and Rogers and for that matter Telus are selling the exact same Lumia 830 phone. I know this because I was in Canada and went to physical stores for all three and asked to see actual working phones, not fake plastic floor sample demos, and looked at the specs on the boxes as well as had them take the phones out of the boxes and took the back plate off the phones to look at the model number. All are the same RM-985 variant and all of the boxes had the exact same frequencies listed, so I wouldn't believe anything you see listed on the carrier's websites as those are far more likely to be incorrect vs. the actual devices.

Second, as far as unlocking Telus right away offered to sell me a full price 830 for $500 and unlock it right away. Rogers and Fido both gave me the same BS about waiting 90 days for an unlock code even if I bought the phone off contract. Fido has the lowest off contract price right now of $400 if you buy it with a "prepaid plan" which really is meaningless, so that's what I bought, gambling that I could find an unlock code on the web somewhere. As others have now found out, I was wrong; these phones seem to be too new to have unlock codes available anywhere. Luckily before I left Canada I read the fine print on Fido's site and saw that they WILL in fact unlock phones bought off contracts without the waiting period so I called customer service back to try to get the unlock code and that's when the "fun" started. To get the unlock from Fido you have to pay them $50 and they have to charge that to an actual Fido account. They can't set that up over the phone, so I had to go back to a physical store and setup a real pre-paid account and buy $60 worth of credit for that account. And after all of that I found out the same bad news that Rogers / Fido haven't entered any of the 830's into their unlock database yet. I was told it would take 5 business days back on the 21st, and I have since escalated twice and have now been promised it will for sure be done by Tuesday.

My guess is that once Rogers / Fido enter the phones into their database we'll see the same unlock codes pop up on the typical for sale sites elsewhere on the web as well, but who knows. For now, it seems that unlocking the 830 is a strictly carrier only process and will take approx. 2 weeks at best, although YMMV.

Awesome info, thanks for taking the time to share.

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have to admit I'm kicking myself for being cheap and not buying the $500 Telus off contract phone. Maybe I would have had the same issues, but the sales guy at the Telus store seemed very confident they could have that phone unlocked for me right away while I waited. I also think we'll start seeing the RM-985 show up unlocked in the US once AT&T start selling it here in a week or so as well, so hopefully all this hassle is just "startup pain".

Montatich Monta

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello!! thanks for your post, but what do you mean they all are selling the same phone !!! I thought rogers has the 1700/2100 frequencies in both LTE and HSPA, and fido has them only in LTE, I contacted them both and they confirmed that. I went through hell to buy the phone as none of them wanted to sell it to me unless I'm a costumer so I had to go to wirelesswave and buy it from them locked to rogers as it's the only one that can work with WindMobile, based on the specifications listed on their website, and now I'm having difficulties like everyone else to unlock it, so are you 100% sure that all are the same and don't have the 1700/2100 frequencies because if so, then i gotta hurry up and return it ?!?

Last edited:

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Its 100% the exact same RM-985 phone. There are not different variants of the RM-985 for Rogers and Fido; Rogers owns Fido and is apparently just having Fido sell the same RM-985 version as Rogers is selling. Don't believe anything any sales rep at either Rogers or Fido tells you about these phones; I've now been on countless calls with these folks (as well as in person conversations in the stores) and found them all to be utterly clueless. So you can buy it from either Rogers or Fido, and either one should be able to sell it to you fully paid and then offer to unlock it for you right away (for $50 on Fido). However per my post above note that Fido are having problems getting the unlock codes from Nokia; I actually have followed up on this with contacts in Nokia and have some hope that this will be addressed shortly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb