SD Card Recommendations?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for a 64GB card. My initial plan was to just get a SanDisk Ultra Plus, which is what I got for my DV8Pro and has been okay so far. Not sure if the 830 would benefit from an Extreme or Extreme Plus. I don't particularly care about "bang for the buck"; my main concern is that the SD absolutely does not hinder taking photos; Lumias are slow enough as it is.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Im using a Samsung Pro series 64GB card (UHS-1), it's rated for 90MB/s read and 80MB/s write, in testing it seems that the 830 caps out at around 50MB/s read/write (depends alot on typ of load). I would not recommend getting a card with much higher speeds than 50MB/s really because it will not give any real benefit to one at 50, avoid the 30MB/s ones though.

(trying to find link to the card i use but so far only managing to dig up Swedish ones like this one scroll down for spec)

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Im using a Samsung Pro series 64GB card (UHS-1), it's rated for 90MB/s read and 80MB/s write, in testing it seems that the 830 caps out at around 50MB/s read/write (depends alot on typ of load). I would not recommend getting a card with much higher speeds than 50MB/s really because it will not give any real benefit to one at 50, avoid the 30MB/s ones though.

(trying to find link to the card i use but so far only managing to dig up Swedish ones like this one scroll down for spec)

Samsung should give you a commission. I got this for my 635. Blows my old ultra scan disk out of the water.

humantic

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the Samsung Evo 64gb. Got it when it was on sale for $30, figured I would save some money so I can get more expensive cards for my DSLR.
Speeds are pretty good even running a few games stored on it.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Class 10 includes some very dodgy speeds, do not just look at that, the worst class 10 only has 10MB/s read speed, this is very far from the limit of the phone, you can get speeds up to fime times faster with a better SD cad so do not, i repeat do not just go by class 10. The best sd cards can give speeds up to 100MB/s, that's ten times faster then the crappiest class 10 card, these fast cards will be a bit overkill for the phone because it caps out at around half those speeds. If you use a quick external reader often it might be worth it. As i said Before, if you get a card for the 830 get one that can offer atleast 50MB/s read and write

touchpad4760

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Tellus82, where did you get your info on the 830 topping out around 50MB/s R/W ?

I too am looking to get a microSDHC for my and my wife's new 830. It seems the most critical bandwidth usage would be during video recording, no? I don't think H.264 compressed is going to approach those rates...

-Chris

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Tellus82, where did you get your info on the 830 topping out around 50MB/s R/W ?

I too am looking to get a microSDHC for my and my wife's new 830. It seems the most critical bandwidth usage would be during video recording, no? I don't think H.264 compressed is going to approach those rates...

-Chris

I have a card in my 830 that is capable of 90/80MB/s and in bechmark tools it will consistently give speeds around 50MB/s in the phone, in a usb3 reader it gives the full promised speed, ergo the phone caps out at around 50. The reason i recomend a card that can give at or around 50MB/s is that it will speed up many things, one is when you take photos directly to the card, with a slower card this increases time between shots. Anothers scenario might be when transfering data to and from the card through phone usb, this will cap out at ~32MB/s. Another would be if you play games from the card, a quick card will speed up loadtimes alot. An important thing to remember is that storage speeds vary alot depending on the size of data and how it's handled by the controller.
Another reason to pick a fast card is that the cost is usually the same as a slow one...

Last edited:

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a card in my 830 that is capable of 90/80MB/s and in bechmark tools it will consistently give speeds around 50MB/s in the phone, in a usb3 reader it gives the full promised speed, ergo the phone caps out at around 50. The reason i recomend a card that can give at or around 50MB/s is that it will speed up many things, one is when you take photos directly to the card, with a slower card this increases time between shots. Anothers scenario might be when transfering data to and from the card through phone usb, this will cap out at ~32MB/s. Another would be if you play games from the card, a quick card will speed up loadtimes alot. An important thing to remember is that storage speeds vary alot depending on the size of data and how it's handled by the controller.
Another reason to pick a fast card is that the cost is usually the same as a slow one...

Tellus,

What card do you use? I'm looking to get a nice sandisk for my 830 and am trying to decide what to get. I tried looking on the nokia/microsoft pages as to what level of card the phone can accept and they just say MicroSD. Looking on SanDisk's site and putting in the exact phone I have they recommend nothing over the ultra series. Amazon has some great deals on the extreme's and i was thinking of getting one of those but am not sure if the phone can handle it.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Would a Class 10 card capable of reading/writing 50 MB/s be faster or slower than the 830's internal storage? I'm asking because I noticed some strange behavior when taking photos yesterday with Lumia Camera 5 (yes, I have full Denim already): The first 2-3 pics were saved more or less instantly but after that it started to show a dimmed version of the pic I had just taken saying "Saving..." for roughly 10s after every photo taken. It was only after I had taken a short break of maybe 30s that it started saving instantaneously again but as before only for the first two or three shots. I had rich capture enabled, if that makes a difference, and am saving photos to my phone's internal memory right now because I know for sure the 8GB Micro SD card I have is dead slow, and I only keep it to store my music.

A 32GB Samsung Evo would probably suffice but will it also fix the problem described above?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Would a Class 10 card capable of reading/writing 50 MB/s be faster or slower than the 830's internal storage

Any microSD card would be slower than the 830's internal storage because the internal memory is usually a eMMC, way faster than microSD card.

I just got a class 10, 48mb\s, for my 720.
Is it good or should I grab another one?
Thanks

It really shouldn't matter but yes if you are saving videos/music/pictures on the microSD by default then I would suggest formatting the card on a PC in exFAT format rather than the default slower FAT32

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Any microSD card would be slower than the 830's internal storage because the internal memory is usually a eMMC, way faster than microSD card.

It really shouldn't matter but yes if you are saving videos/music/pictures on the microSD by default then I would suggest formatting the card on a PC in exFAT format rather than the default slower FAT32

Thanks, I'll try it

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. In that case there's no need to replace the slow 8GB card with anything faster.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Write speeds are abysmal on this card no matter what filesystem :wink:
Also, I'm using it for storing my music right now so there's really no need for it to be fast or capable of holding files larger than 4GB.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a SanDisk 128gb class 10. I have it set for music, maps, and photos to save save to the card, and apps save to phone memory. NO problems thus far and I notice no speed issues with writing photos to the card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon