how do i save maps to my sd card?

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i've looked at data sense and storage check, but neither seems to give me the option to save maps to the sd card. does this functionality work differently on the lumia 830? what am i doing wrong? thanks in advance!

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
think i figured it out. seems unnecessarily complicated and certainly intuitive. once the maps download, i'll verify this method works and then post the steps.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
elsewhere on this site there's discussion of a beta app that Nokia had provided to allow storage of maps on your phone. I downloaded it but it seemed incompatible with my 830 - the maps simply would not download while the app was installed. discussion seemed to indicate that, sadly, maps MUST go to device. So - I'd love to hear your solution!

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
these maps are taking awhile to download so i'll post what i'm trying...perhaps someone else can verify that it works before i do.

got to settings, storage sense, tap sd card, then tap maps, then tap manage, then tap download maps. from there i think you can choose to add maps by downloading them from that screen. why on earth it's not an option on the main screen for storage sense is beyond me. there are several other options there like saving music and apps to the sd. would also be nice if you had the option to use sd storage from the mapping app itself.

i'll post an update once i've verified this method works. maybe someone else to verify more quickly than i can. i'm downloading the map for the whole US.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
nope, this method fails which is especially confusing given the steps you can take. how frustrating. i might return the phone over this. glad it didn't give away my 920!

here's another question: why is that there always seems to be relatively small yet really irritating things like this with cell phones? phones that come w/ too little storage, or no sd card, or not allowing you to store things on an sd that you'd obviously really want to store on an sd...why is that?

Last edited:

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
are you sure the maps are stored on the sd? i tried this method, too. couldn't get it to work. what steps do you take to make it work? thanks in advance! i hope you're right!

The solution to this problem is the Storage Check Beta from Microsoft. I just did this myself on my Lumia 830. You run the app and you can select to have maps stored on your SD card. You have to delete any already downloaded maps and reload them after you change the location. Worked perfectly for me.

Lumia storage check beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

The link above is the link to the app.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
are you sure the maps are stored on the sd? i tried this method, too. couldn't get it to work. what steps do you take to make it work? thanks in advance! i hope you're right!

Here is what I did.

1. Downloaded the storage check beta app
2. Deleted all maps from my phone by going to settings/maps/download maps select the maps and delete them.
3. Run the storage check beta app
4. Go to detail tab in the app
5. Under maps, there is a change button
6. Press the change button and select SD card as the storage place for maps
7. I exited the app at this point.
8. Go back to settings/maps/download maps
9. Re-download maps and they should be stored on your sd card.
10. I verified this by using the Files application and checked and I do have a directory with maps, and the storage used on my phone went down by 3.8gb and up by the same amount on my storage card.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i can follow you up to step 4, but when i click on maps i do get a change button. i can only add maps.

i'm running an 830 on att. i wonder if that has something to do with it. not sure why i'm having this problem, but it's frustrating!

Here is what I did.

1. Downloaded the storage check beta app
2. Deleted all maps from my phone by going to settings/maps/download maps select the maps and delete them.
3. Run the storage check beta app
4. Go to detail tab in the app
5. Under maps, there is a change button
6. Press the change button and select SD card as the storage place for maps
7. I exited the app at this point.
8. Go back to settings/maps/download maps
9. Re-download maps and they should be stored on your sd card.
10. I verified this by using the Files application and checked and I do have a directory with maps, and the storage used on my phone went down by 3.8gb and up by the same amount on my storage card.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
i can follow you up to step 4, but when i click on maps i do get a change button. i can only add maps.

i'm running an 830 on att. i wonder if that has something to do with it. not sure why i'm having this problem, but it's frustrating!

I am also on AT&T. Running an AT&T version of the 830. May sound simple, but be sure you are running the Lumia storage check application from the app list on your phone, and NOT the storage check within settings.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I am also on AT&T. Running an AT&T version of the 830. May sound simple, but be sure you are running the Lumia storage check application from the app list on your phone, and NOT the storage check within settings.

ahh, that did it! so this is really confusing. there are TWO storage functions in settings. one is called storage sense, the other storage check. i could be wrong, but i think storage check appeared after i downloaded lumia storage check. again, i could be wrong about that. either way, neither storage function allows you to save maps to the sd.

you're absolutely right, you have to go to the app list and choose lumia storage check in order to get the option to save maps to the sd.

good grief is this needlessly confusing!

thanks for the help, vinerider!

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
ahh, that did it! so this is really confusing. there are TWO storage functions in settings. one is called storage sense, the other storage check. i could be wrong, but i think storage check appeared after i downloaded lumia storage check. again, i could be wrong about that. either way, neither storage function allows you to save maps to the sd.

you're absolutely right, you have to go to the app list and choose lumia storage check in order to get the option to save maps to the sd.

good grief is this needlessly confusing!

thanks for the help, vinerider!

You are welcome...The two storage settings (check and sense) are part of settings. The app you downloaded is what went in the app list.

Glad you got it working!

Blessings,
VineRider

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
thanks again. i hope the app and the two storage settings are all merged at some point in the near future.

Storage check is old and broken- the only use it has is moving maps to the SD card, as you guys eventually figured out :)

It does not ship with phones, the only reason you have it is because you installed it at some point.

If you had gotten the storage check beta, it wouldn't show up in settings, it would just be an app you can uninstall. You can't install the one that installed to settings. If you had gotten the one that uninstalls, you could have flipped the "install maps to SD" option and gotten rid of it: Maps would still go on the SD even without it since the setting is on the system level.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
worked for me, thanks.

But doing this led me to realize that all my apps are going to my phone and not my Storage Card, and when I try to change the storage location I get a message that the apps on my storage card from previous phone will be deleted but there are none there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3