Should I send back my 830?

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
so my 830 has shut down twice for no apparent reason (had it about a week), has froze once requiring that i take out the battery to get it to restart, and it's generally sluggish. not slow necessarily, but certainly not snappy. also, when i scroll through my notifications, the motion is stuttery. same thing when scrolling on the home screen. going from top to bottom, scrolling is smooth; bottom to top you get one or two hard stutters.

wondering if i should exchange the phone or return it. i'll return if this is how the phone normally operates; exchange it if this behavior isn''t typical.

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
so my 830 has shut down twice for no apparent reason (had it about a week), has froze once requiring that i take out the battery to get it to restart, and it's generally sluggish. not slow necessarily, but certainly not snappy. also, when i scroll through my notifications, the motion is stuttery. same thing when scrolling on the home screen. going from top to bottom, scrolling is smooth; bottom to top you get one or two hard stutters.

wondering if i should exchange the phone or return it. i'll return if this is how the phone normally operates; exchange it if this behavior isn''t typical.

I haven't had any restarts but I've read that having a lower class micro SD card could be an issue. As far as stuttering start screen and notifications, if you have Cortana or the music tile pinned, it has a performance impact. This most likely due to actual animations on the tile as opposed to just an icon or sliding image.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any restarts but I've read that having a lower class micro SD card could be an issue. As far as stuttering start screen and notifications, if you have Cortana or the music tile pinned, it has a performance impact. This most likely due to actual animations on the tile as opposed to just an icon or sliding image.

interesting...i unpinned cortana and xbox music and the stuttering when scrolling on the home screen stop completely. the notifications center stuttering is unchanged. it really looks bad. it almost looks like i'm scrolling through it with one of those mouse scroll wheels...you know that feedback you get..the stuttering looks how that feels.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
yeah, i'm going to go ahead and send it back. i'll get 635 instead. no reason to pay for an 830 if this is how it functions. a 635 might not function any better, but at $40 i can live with the bugs. at nearly 500 bucks, this stuff is unacceptable.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I've experienced shutdowns as well. I've got a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10. It was pretty top of the line back in the day, do you think we should be looking at UHS-1 and UHS-3 speed cards? I'm going to grab a couple. Best buy has got a really good deal going on right now.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced shutdowns as well. I've got a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10. It was pretty top of the line back in the day, do you think we should be looking at UHS-1 and UHS-3 speed cards? I'm going to grab a couple. Best buy has got a really good deal going on right now.

I don't think it's the SD card, but who knows... my RM-984 does not experience any random reboots like my RM-985 did, yet both had the same memory card in them.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
curses! i was just packing up the 830 to return it and knocked it onto the floor. got a small dent on the right hand corner. guess i'll have to learn to love the phone now.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my sim card and that fixed my restart problems. Before I was using a microsim that was cut down to the size of the nanosim. Now I have a nano sim and haven't experienced a restart in a few days. Maybe that's of some help.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my sim card and that fixed my restart problems. Before I was using a microsim that was cut down to the size of the nanosim. Now I have a nano sim and haven't experienced a restart in a few days. Maybe that's of some help.

I hope your restart problem is indeed solved. I ruled out the SIM card since my RM-984 never rebooted itself using the exact same SIM that was in my RM-985 that was rebooting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3