Anandtech reviews Lumia 830...

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
...and the reviewer likes the phone.

"I am a bit surprised how much I do like the 830 overall, despite the SoC. The combination of the metal band, a thin chassis, a light weight, a decent display, and a decent camera make for a phone that is very good for the right price."

You can read the review here.
AnandTech | Nokia Lumia 830 Review

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If more "experts" reviewed phones for how they actually performed in real life rather than purely reading off the spec sheet you'd get a lot more relevant and helpful reviews.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I was in the AT&T store and played with the 830 for quite a bit the other day, and came away rather pleased by the experience. While not a major jump beyond my current 925, it would make a very nice alt device to have around - I could even see it as being my main driver, for the few features it does offer beyond the 925.

As impressed with the 830 as I am, I am still holding out for a T-Mobile version. Before the 830 was announced, rumors from pretty legit sources had it, that the 830 would get spec variations based on carrier, when it came to the US. So far, we have only seen the base model for AT&T. So keeping my fingers crossed on some improvements to the design/specs, when the T-Mo version finally surfaces. I don't expect Microsoft to launch a proper flagship until fall 2015, when they launch Windows 10. So everything between now and then, should either be mid-range devices, and "affordable flagships". Not going to make many Lumia fans happy. But it does mean that even if I have to wait a few more months for a T-Mo based 830 re-spec'ed (tentatively, Lumia 835) to hit store shelves, it still leaves me time on the Jump plan to pick up the first, true Windows 10 flagship when it launches next October. Providing anyone in the US besides AT&T can get in on the deal at launch.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
If more "experts" reviewed phones for how they actually performed in real life rather than purely reading off the spec sheet you'd get a lot more relevant and helpful reviews.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Ahh, brings back memories of feature-phone days. Nobody knew or cared about the processors, they just wanted to know if it was a flip-phone, looked good, and had a colored screen. Solid buttons too? Great. Only spec I remember paying attention to in those days was the megapixel count of the camera.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
But it does mean that even if I have to wait a few more months for a T-Mo based 830 re-spec'ed (tentatively, Lumia 835) to hit store shelves, it still leaves me time on the Jump plan to pick up the first, true Windows 10 flagship when it launches next October. Providing anyone in the US besides AT&T can get in on the deal at launch.

Would be nice if they were kind enough to slot in the Snapdragon 615. All would be forgiven at that point

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
...and the reviewer likes the phone.

"I am a bit surprised how much I do like the 830 overall, despite the SoC. The combination of the metal band, a thin chassis, a light weight, a decent display, and a decent camera make for a phone that is very good for the right price."

You can read the review here.
AnandTech | Nokia Lumia 830 Review

Read the next paragraph under the picture in the review, it's priced too high right now.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Even gsmarena reviewed that lumia 830 is a good phone .

I do have to say that it is a very good phone having now used it for sometime. The only thing is that some users get hung up about the SoC, which does probably make a difference if one is going to game with it. But I use it as a work phone and in that role, it excels. Yes, I would have liked some extra apps, but honestly I can only think of one that I would really want (it is available on the Apple Store for iPhones - don't know about the Google Store). For everything else, I have found pretty much all the apps that I need (of course much depends on what individual users want/ need).

From my point of view there are three rather strong USPs for the 830: (1) MicroSD card expansion to 128GB; (2) removable/ user replaceable battery; and (3) the form factor (it is a very well crafted phone). The 1GB RAM is adequate for most purposes and the battery life (after the first few charges) is quite competitive to what is available in the market.

I recently go the wireless charger (thanks MS/ Nokia; they sent it to me for free) but frankly I feel the same way about it as I used to when plugging the phone in charge. Let's put it this way, is it convenient? Yes, I suppose so. Is it that much of big deal? I can't say I see it in that light...yet.

Edit:

The only "sort of" negative thing that I can find? Well, its quite cold where I live and the metal frame around the edge gets quite cold and startles me a bit. That's about all that I can find as a negative!!!

There is one other point - there is the inability to attach files to emails. I believe this will be included soon, but I have no idea when. I do consider this to be a serious lacking though.

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
As impressed with the 830 as I am, I am still holding out for a T-Mobile version.

This was me, but decided not to wait and went with the M8. I'm hoping that Windows 10 will be earlier than fall next year. I'd like to think they're going to have it ready for back to school PC/tablet purchases, but it's ready when it's ready. I would love to see a higher end/flagship on TMO. I think the M8 will hold me over nicely until then and I'll be ready to Jump then.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Would not be "not working well", it would be "not working at all" for LTE.

Never have figured why LTE is such a big deal for a silly phone. :)

Where I live (on AT&T) LTE and HSPA+ speeds are almost the same.

:)
Fred

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Would not be "not working well", it would be "not working at all" for LTE.

Never have figured why LTE is such a big deal for a silly phone. :)

Where I live (on AT&T) LTE and HSPA+ speeds are almost the same.

:)
Fred

I guess because if i"m paying for it, and I'm on a 40 gig shared plan i would like lte

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As he says, "at the right price." $450, the price of the flagship 920 when it launched, is absurd for a phone with a 2-year-newer SoC that actually performs worse. This phone didn't add much, in terms of features, so downgrading the SoC and keeping the price isn't reasonable. It should be $300, $350 would be pushing it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, brings back memories of feature-phone days. Nobody knew or cared about the processors, they just wanted to know if it was a flip-phone, looked good, and had a colored screen. Solid buttons too? Great. Only spec I remember paying attention to in those days was the megapixel count of the camera.

Yeah, and now, the demands of the market have changed. The SoC matters because it affects load times of apps, which flip phones didn't have to worry about. Games were on-par with stuff from 25 years ago, so a solid GPU was irrelevant. The processor matters now because there is cause for it to. Smartphones are not the phone-first devices of 10-15 years ago. They're handheld laptops, basically, and when you buy a computer, you want to know what it's packing inside (unless you buy a Mac).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As he says, "at the right price." $450, the price of the flagship 920 when it launched, is absurd for a phone with a 2-year-newer SoC that actually performs worse. This phone didn't add much, in terms of features, so downgrading the SoC and keeping the price isn't reasonable. It should be $300, $350 would be pushing it.

$299, I'd be in the store. Current price, I'm waiting for a flagship as my 920 basically matches this phone.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

having just stopped using my 920 for the 830, it is much more snappy than my 920. The phone feels smoother than the 920 as well. I bought mine off contract to have a newer phone before hopefully a 1020 update comes. I am not at all regretting my decision. The pictures are clearer, the phone is more snappy I found it to be a good minor upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3