After Wireless charging the battery drains faster than when charging through USB.

Alex Altu

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I have a Nokia Lumia 830 and a DT-601 charging plate. When i charge the phone through the USB port, the battery drains by 0,3% per hour in idle. When i charge it through the pad, battery drains by over 1% per hour. I thought there was a process that remained open after the charging, so i restarted it , but to no avail, the battery keeps draining very fast. I repeated the process several times and the result is the same, with wireless charging the battery drains much faster. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
So you fully charged it till 100%
You disconnected it
Did not use it for a few hours and than checked the battery level?
And USB does that mean computer or wall-plug

Alex Altu

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes 100%. When it was full, i removed it from the pad. In all the test, i did not use the smart functions, but let it idle for a few days, with every thing turn off, except the 3g connection, but with data turned off. By usb i mean the charger that came with the phone.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay. But did you only check on the end from the test or did you check every day?

I have seen the following. If I fully charge my phones they are charged "more" than 100%. Because if I disconnect them from a charger it takes much more time to go from 100 to 99 then from 99 to 98% (I did not time it but it is true).
Charging with QI is "slower" then charging them with the phone charger (can be seen in reviews).
How much the can be charger over 100% depends on the charger "strength" (mA).
So if you charge them with QI the battery goes for example to 103% but with the charger it goes to 106%
And if you only check on the end of your test it looks like the QI discharge faster but that is because it is less "over charged"

Can above explain the difference you see?

Alex Altu

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I check it quite often, about once every 2-3 hours. With usb charging the phone lasted about 10 days. With wireless, about 4-5. With wireless it draining faster to about 80% with 1-2% per hour, then slower, to about 1% per hour until empty. Much faster than the stable 0,3% per hour in the case of the usb charging.

Alex Altu

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Could 100% charging from wireless be different from 100% charging through the wired charger? I don't know, some value to be smaller? Amps, watts, something?

P.S. Seems i am not the only one with the problem:
forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/212795-wireless-charging-battery-life.html
forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/217599-wireless-charging-pad-vs-ac-plug.html
forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/209348-wireless-charger-poor-battery-life-comparison-socket-charger.html
forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/205369-wireless-charger-problem.html

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Interesting theory, that might explain why my battery now drains faster than before (I recently put a wireless charging plate at my desk).

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My dt-900 is 2amp charger, with the wireless charging setups there is a 2% charging efficiency loss on the charging field itself, natural law of physics. The 600 maybe a weaker model!

I do not have this problem on my 1520 I would like to point out!

Another theory is quick charge vs proper charge, maybe the phone is not doing a proper charge on wireless?

Sim cards etc will still search signals, weather can affect this, however I believe this isn't the culprit.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
My dt-900 is 2amp charger, with the wireless charging setups there is a 2% charging efficiency loss on the charging field itself, natural law of physics. The 600 maybe a weaker model!

I do not have this problem on my 1520 I would like to point out!

Another theory is quick charge vs proper charge, maybe the phone is not doing a proper charge on wireless?

Sim cards etc will still search signals, weather can affect this, however I believe this isn't the culprit.

Actually, whilst the DT-900 may have an input current of 2A, the current Qi standard used means that there is only 1A outputted to charge the phone. I think someone said somewhere that battery percentage can't really be accurately estimated/reported when the rate of charge changes often...seems a little weird to be honest. Personally I think it might be a firmware/software glitch somewhere

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually, whilst the DT-900 may have an input current of 2A, the current Qi standard used means that there is only 1A outputted to charge the phone. I think someone said somewhere that battery percentage can't really be accurately estimated/reported when the rate of charge changes often...seems a little weird to be honest. Personally I think it might be a firmware/software glitch somewhere
OEM qi chargers average around 70-80% efficiency. Off brand around 60%-70%.

Sent UAMessage

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
to be fair without the wireless charging etc. on the android format on the samsung galaxy s4 the battery dies even before work so doesnt last around 8 hours so i think this pretty much is a havoc for all phones

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok explain this using battery sense app, using 2amp dt900 and 2amp wall hugger charger. With wired cable I gain 20% charge per hour vs 17% on wireless on a Nokia Lumia 1520. Thus if this 60% rule was in place the dt900 would slowly charge a 1520 as 1520 comes with 1.5amp standard charger and 60% of 2amp would be around 1.2amp mark

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok explain this using battery sense app, using 2amp dt900 and 2amp wall hugger charger. With wired cable I gain 20% charge per hour vs 17% on wireless on a Nokia Lumia 1520. Thus if this 60% rule was in place the dt900 would slowly charge a 1520 as 1520 comes with 1.5amp standard charger and 60% of 2amp would be around 1.2amp mark
The 60% is inaccurate. People are obviously just regurgitating numbers they've heard or pulling them out of their but. For a cheap off brand wi charger at worst maybe. For OEM 75% at worst but usually 80-85% is what to expect.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Gentleman this thread did NOT start about loading efficiency but draining rate after the phone was charged to 100%. So can the loading efficiency influence the draining rate?

Alex Altu

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I did another test yesterday. This time i did not remove the phone from the pad after it charged, but left it there for the entire night. The battery seems to be doing much better, on par with wall charging. But on many sites it is recommended to not overcharge the battery and remove it from the charger when it reaches 100%. dmediamom.com/2013/04/26/rechargeable-battery-problems/ . So what the hell? What is the percentage the battery could overcharge to notice such difference? And was that what i noticed ? Overcharging from the charger vs normal 100% from the wireless pad? If so 100% with no overcharging means very poor battery life.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
There is an overcharge protection which prevents overcharging.
So with the overcharge protection "nothing" bad will happen to your battery. But it is always safer not to connect equipment longer than necessary to electricity to prevent that possible malfunctions can cause harm like damage your phone or even fire.

What is the percentage the battery could overcharge to notice such difference?
YOU CAN CALCULATE THAT WITH THE DATA YOU HAVE.

And was that what i noticed ? Overcharging from the charger vs normal 100% from the wireless pad?
NO IDEA BUT THAT WOULD EXPLAIN YOUR RESULTs.

If so 100% with no overcharging means very poor battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3