Full Denim is being released for the 830

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I can see that, in fact NO Canadian carrier lists the 830 and Denim update...be patient sheesh :grin:
Do you know the product code for your phone ?
There are only 3 for Canada 059... Rogers, Telus and BLMCA { what is that BELL?
I suspect the Bell sells one of those and you will get an update when it comes.

059W5G3: RM-985 VAR NAM CA BLMCA D GREY
059W5G2: RM-985 VAR NAM CA ROGERS SLV SL
059W5M5: RM-985 VAR NAM CA TELUS D GREY SL

Thanks for the info. Yes that should be Bell but where can I find the product code (059W5G3)? On the phone or the box?

Where did you see that?

I will check and report back.

Thanks again for the info!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Yes that should be Bell but where can I find the product code (059W5G3)? On the phone or the box?

Where did you see that?

I will check and report back.

Thanks again for the info!
You have to hook up your phone to Lumia Software Recovery Tool then you'll see the product code, but I'm positive if yours was sold by Bell then that is the product code.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok great thanks for the info!!! Now with this that you saw on the navifirm, does this mean that I could update my phone? Sorry about this question but I've never done it.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok great thanks for the info!!! Now with this that you saw on the navifirm, does this mean that I could update my phone? Sorry about this question but I've never done it.

You have to wait to see when Bell shows on that list along with the 830 along with the Denim update and wait.

Petre Popescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the HK version bought in Romania. I used Fiddler for tricking Lumia Software Recover into thinking i have the DE model, and now my phone is updating itself with the new firmware.

I'll post some steps on how to do this if it still works after the update :)

Here's the proof:
proof.PNG

LE: Update finished, now I have a Vodafone splashscreen at boot. Some quirks setting the time and timezone, but the cellular and wifi still work. Waiting for it to finish the first boot.

I just noticed I was stupid enough to select a VF version instead of a CV one. Will probably install again.

LE2: I was setting 2014 instead of 2015...silly me.
Seems to work fine, I have the Lumia Camera with Rich Capture and can update it in the market. So far, so good

LE3: Just to confirm - Lumia Camera v5.0.2.42

Last edited:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Latin America RM-985 variant(s) missing as well. I'm not worried about it..though I expect I'll be waiting longer than most.

update: the microsoft page has been updated to include the Latin America 830 country and telco-specific models that were previously missing. The data is incomplete on many/most of those entries, but at least the place-holder entries exist now which is a great step in the right direction :)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Just install the developer preview. I have full Denim worth Lumia camera in my Bell 830

So you just have the Preview for Developers app and that has Denim ? I thought it only had OS updates? Are you in Canada is my next question... I have a "Telus'' unlocked RM-985 on T Mobile USA so I'm wondering if PfD would work for me ?

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
So you just have the Preview for Developers app and that has Denim ? I thought it only had OS updates? Are you in Canada is my next question... I have a "Telus'' unlocked RM-985 on T Mobile USA so I'm wondering if PfD would work for me ?

Yes but it's not perfect. I have to hit the camera button twice because sometimes I still get the update your phone message. And there is no rich capture. I thought we were getting this on the 830?

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes but it's not perfect. I have to hit the camera button twice because sometimes I still get the update your phone message. And there is no rich capture. I thought we were getting this on the 830?

Nope. You don't have the latest denim update. If you did, you wouldn't be getting that message. You're confusing OS updates with firmware. ;)

However, for whatever reason, the Lumia camera app was made installable from the store over the past week even without the latest firmware...(at least in my case). And I'd say that's because the update is rolling out to some regions for the 830.

EDIT: Just editing to state for the sake of clarity... The developers preview never has and never will contain firmware. Preview of OS changes only.

Last edited:

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Nope. You don't have the latest denim update. If you did, you wouldn't be getting that message. You're confusing OS updates with firmware. ;)

However, for whatever reason, the Lumia camera app was made installable from the store over the past week even without the latest firmware...(at least in my case). And I'd say that's because the update is rolling out to some regions for the 830.

EDIT: Just editing to state for the sake of clarity... The developers preview never has and never will contain firmware. Preview of OS changes only.

Thx for clarifying. Too bad. What is the reason for no firmware updates? This still leaves us at the mercy of the carriers.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thx for clarifying. Too bad. What is the reason for no firmware updates? This still leaves us at the mercy of the carriers.

That's just the way it is in the mobile world. MS needs the carriers and the carriers want some control. That said, now that MS owns the Lumia line through the Nokia purchase (and any future devices), it would be nice to see them follow the Apple model. The same amount of firmware/Software testing would still need to be done as we have now, but I'm pretty sure MS could do it faster than the carriers. But, it's highly unlikely you'll ever see that happen.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That's just the way it is in the mobile world. MS needs the carriers and the carriers want some control. That said, now that MS owns the Lumia line through the Nokia purchase (and any future devices), it would be nice to see them follow the Apple model. The same amount of firmware/Software testing would still need to be done as we have now, but I'm pretty sure MS could do it faster than the carriers. But, it's highly unlikely you'll ever see that happen.

The only way I see it happening is if windows phone get a large market share.

Petre Popescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you guys install the firmware available from other carriers or even the free-of-contract version for that matter? If running on the same frequencies, it shouldn't do any harm.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The only way I see it happening is if windows phone get a large market share.

That's certainly part of it, but I think the other part (and possibly more important) is the size of the product line. If they kept the "current" line to less than 6 phones, it would be doable. Any more fragmented than that and I'd believe the cost would be better in the hands of the carriers (from MS's point of view).

In regards to your initial point, though, you could actually argue the opposite. With so little market share, and equally little interest from the carriers, it would be better for all concerned to have MS in charge.

Anyway...It'll never happen. Even IF it does, that would be years away.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Then you don't have the full Denim Update on further investigation the Preview For Developers didn't download the updated firmware Denim that update you got was Update 1 of 8.1 :winktongue: It was like wtf ? that isn't possible, but at this point I was ready to believe just about anything. MS doesn't do firmware at least not this time around and not OTA. With the Lumia Camera 5.0 you have very little of what is capable of doing. It says you can enable JPEG+DNG but you don't have both high and low resolution images, reframing doesn't work at all, & Rich Capture -escaped not to be found. I use that aborted version for Video, I now can use front camera if I want to video myself ( why?) and I can manually focus and a adjust brightness while videoing and use the Select Moment app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786