Lumia 830 Broken Glass Screen - Should I have a go myself?

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys

Feel for me please, I've just dropped my Lumia 830 and the glass has shattered. It still works and the actually lcd screen is fine. Just the glass digitizer that's destroyed.

Should I attempt to change this myself or would I be safer paying a nokia care shop ?100+ to fix?

Thanks

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
1 Check some video's on youtube to see how it is done .
2 Check how to order an 0EM replacement and what it costs .(be sure you order from a reliable source.

With above you get a feeling if you up to it and how much you save.

And than decide if you do it or you send it for repair.

phytio

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering whether you've had any luck! I've managed to scratch my L830 screen and I've bought a new screen, but it hasn't arrived yet. There aren't any videos on YouTube that show how to replace it, so I'm nervous.

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If you are trying to replace just the digitizer Abort i repeat ABORT the mission, these LCDs and digitizers are fused together so replacing digitizer only leaves many marks like air bubbles, either try replacing full LCD+ digitizer assembly or hand it in to Nokia care professionals (even they can't replace digitizer only, they will replace whole assembly)

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Cracked Screen - Help

I cracked the screen on my 830 and I'm having trouble finding someone to repair it, I'm in the US. The phone seems to work OK and I've seen replacement screens on eBay. Does anyone have any experience replacing the screen on an 830? How do you know if you need the digitizer also?

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: Cracked Screen - Help

I've not tried an 830 but have done a 920 and 1020. I would suggest that if you don't have an LCD separator, do yourself a favor and just replace the whole panel. Unless the 830 is different or you're incredibly patient with very stable hands, it'll save you some headaches.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

So I'm assuming by your description the digitizer and screen are one piece that would have to be separated?
Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
So I'm assuming by your description the digitizer and screen are one piece that would have to be separated?

Actual they are 2 pieces but they are glued together during the assembly of the device in the factory.
It's nearly impossible to get the digitizer from the lcd without damaging the LCD. But if you manage it it is also a nearly impossible to glue the new digitizer on LCD without including particles air bubbles etc.
That's also the reason why you do not find youtube video's for digitizer repair for newer devices.
In the older devices like the 520 , 820 etc the digitizer was not glued on the surface of the LCD so a digitiser only repair can be done "easy".

That's why the advices is to let the repair be done by a qualified repair shop and replace the complete "set".

If you want to do it by yourself also buy the complete"set" but be sure you buy an original OEM part to prevent "surprise" like double tap not working or glance not working.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

If you want to do it by yourself also buy the complete"set" but be sure you buy an original OEM part to prevent "surprise" like double tap not working or glance not working.

Does anyone know a reliable source for OEM parts that ships to the US? EBay is a crap shoot having never purchased this type of part.

Hal Diggs

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
These guys seem to have good price on the full screen already attached to the digitizer
ww w. etradesupply.com /nokia-lumia-830-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-black.html

Same thing just happened to me. I cant find anyone to fix this phone!!! I'm afraid I might have to attempt the repair. If anyone knows of a reputable shop pass it on. I called the Microsoft store and was told they only replace the whole phone.

No wonder it tough for Microsoft to gain traction in the market. I love this phone.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just cracked the screen on my 830 also and couldn't find anyone to repair, only replace. My screen isn't shattered (a single crack from one corner that goes to the middle then up the length of the screen) and phone is still very usable. I'm contemplating just using as is for a while or doing it myself.

Mods - I started a similar thread, maybe you can merge them as they contain similar information.

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I haven't gotten mine fixed yet. I was using away at it until it got another knock and the smash went though to the lcd screen. Now i've went back to my also smashed 920,

For me, the cheapest option is to pay Nokia Care ?120 to fix it. Something I'm not going to pay for at the moment

lukasq

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
hi my name is Lukas and I'm from Poland. I was wondering if you managed to fix the broken glass of your nokia Lumia 830 ? actually a few days ago I broke my screen at my Lumia and I dont know what to do.. the whole set is insanely expensive. Is it worth it to let the service "un-stick" the broken glass and "re-stick" the new one ? They said the use some kind of machine for that..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99