Flashing European firmware on Canadian 830 to get denim

bachansoo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, you want to go through all that trouble to get denim a few weeks before the official release?

Just wait, the update should be around the corner.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Flash it and you jack up your frequency bands for good. The European version is the RM-984 while the Canadian version is the RM-985

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Flash it and you jack up your frequency bands for good. The European version is the RM-984 while the Canadian version is the RM-985

This is only somewhat true now. The Lumia software recovery tool restores the required frequencies. However, the bug that allowed people to flash across RM versions I think was patched

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This is only somewhat true now. The Lumia software recovery tool restores the required frequencies. However, the bug that allowed people to flash across RM versions I think was patched

Not somewhat true, it is completely true. Flashing the RM-984 onto the Canadian RM-985 would mess up the radio frequencies permanently. And it's not Lumia Software Recovery but Nokia Product Support Tool

Last edited:

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Not somewhat true, it is completely true. Flashing the RM-984 onto the Canadian RM-985 would mess up the radio frequencies permanently. And it's not Lumia Software Recovery but Nokia Product Support Tool

It wouldn't. If you look back on the 920 threads that talked about losing out on frequencies do to the RM change all say that flashing with the Lumia software recovery tool restores your frequencies. I have done it myself with a Lumia 1020 that I flashed to a different RM, lost lte, and restored it with the Lumia software recovery tool going back to the correct RM

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't. If you look back on the 920 threads that talked about losing out on frequencies do to the RM change all say that flashing with the Lumia software recovery tool restores your frequencies. I have done it myself with a Lumia 1020 that I flashed to a different RM, lost lte, and restored it with the Lumia software recovery tool going back to the correct RM

Good luck with your theory. Cross flashing the Rogers 920 with an ATT ROM (same variant, different ROM) did disable the AWS bands permanently. Secondly flashing an international variant ROM (not the LTA or Euro Dev ROM) did cripple the LTE and AWS bands, AWS being permanent, though getting back LTE was possible after fiddling with Fiddler and a lot of reading. Also I'm not sure why you keep on bringing Lumia Software Recovery Tool, it's Nokia Product Support Tool

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Good luck with your theory. Cross flashing the Rogers 920 with an ATT ROM (same variant, different ROM) did disable the AWS bands permanently. Secondly flashing an international variant ROM (not the LTA or Euro Dev ROM) did cripple the LTE and AWS bands, AWS being permanent, though getting back LTE was possible after fiddling with Fiddler and a lot of reading. Also I'm not sure why you keep on bringing Lumia Software Recovery Tool, it's Nokia Product Support Tool

Because that is another tool separate from Nokia product support. It's not a theory, I confirmed it on my own personal 1020. I got aws and lte back.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Because that is another tool separate from Nokia product support. It's not a theory, I confirmed it on my own personal 1020. I got aws and lte back.
Okay in that case tell that over to the guys at xda and here who have proved that it never works. And I know Lumia Software Recovery doesn't let you cross flash firmware for different variant so you better share that as well.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. You use the Nokia support tool to get it back to the correct variant and then do another flash using the Lumia tool

This doesn't make sense at all. If you use Nokia Product Support Tool to bring it to the correct variant then why flash again using the Lumia Recovery Tool? You are already on the correct version

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't make sense at all. If you use Nokia Product Support Tool to bring it to the correct variant then why flash again using the Lumia Recovery Tool? You are already on the correct version

To restore the correct radio back restoring lte and aws? I thought that was the whole issue of this.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
To restore the correct radio back restoring lte and aws? I thought that was the whole issue of this.
Radio is bundled with the firmware, unlike Android where it can be separately flashed. Lumia Software Recovery does not flash just the radio but the entire firmware which is basically back to square one. I'm not sure where this is coming from

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Old thread but was wondering, how about flashing a Telus 830 with an unbranded 985 firmware, would that work? I'm looking for an 830 to buy and one of the options is a Telus unlocked version but I'd prefer to have it as an unbranded version. Thanks.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Old thread but was wondering, how about flashing a Telus 830 with an unbranded 985 firmware, would that work? I'm looking for an 830 to buy and one of the options is a Telus unlocked version but I'd prefer to have it as an unbranded version. Thanks.
Yes, you can either flash the Canadian, US or LTA variant. Doesn't matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3