lumia camera on 830

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
when i download and launch lumia camera, i get a message saying i need to up to lumia denim. i thought my 830 came w/ lumia denim. what's up? does the app just not work on the 830?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The 830 does come with Lumia Denim but it needs another Denim update to unlock the latest Lumia Camera 5 features. You'll need to wait till it gets updated for your phone

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Same for me... Yet I accidentally circumvented it and now I'm using Lumia Camera 5 in my 830!

What I did when the message about not having Denim appeared is using the backwards key. The notification closed and the app went all black so I used the back key again and closed the app. Then I opened it again and it was working and asking me about the initial settings like location metadata for my photos!

Try it, hope it works for you too.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
things are awkward like that right now

Well I sadly agree, Microsoft has caused a lot of confusion on the Denim update on the 830/73x. Looks to me like a marketing strategy which is did not work as expected, infact caused confusion and angry consumers.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I sadly agree, Microsoft has caused a lot of confusion on the Denim update on the 830/73x. Looks to me like a marketing strategy which is did not work as expected, infact caused confusion and angry consumers.

It even confused their official support team. I had a Lumia 830 as early as October, noticed I didn't have the camera enhancements advertised when the phone was announced, and contacted support. They linked me to some article about the new features -_-. Eventually after some back-and-forth, they got back to me days later saying the camera enhancements were coming at a later date. Misled a lot of people.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
However, until you get the "final" Denim update (and I'm afraid, testers are not putting it on top priority, especially if yours is a carrier variant) you get no Rich Capture

So this is the case with me I have Lumia 830 purchased at a Microsoft Store, with AT&T service in the US. It came with "Nokia Camera" installed. So I just downloaded and installed Lumia Camera 5. As the prior poster notes, the software gives me a warning that "Lumia Camera requires the Lumia Denim software update." I back out of this, restart the camera, and it works fine. Quicker loading, quicker shooting - but NO Rich Capture. I guess I have to wait until AT&T pushes the latest Denim version to me. I'm sure that's a high priority for them! (I wish ...)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
So this is the case with me I have Lumia 830 purchased at a Microsoft Store, with AT&T service in the US. It came with "Nokia Camera" installed. So I just downloaded and installed Lumia Camera 5. As the prior poster notes, the software gives me a warning that "Lumia Camera requires the Lumia Denim software update." I back out of this, restart the camera, and it works fine. Quicker loading, quicker shooting - but NO Rich Capture. I guess I have to wait until AT&T pushes the latest Denim version to me. I'm sure that's a high priority for them! (I wish ...)

AND no JPG+DNG even though you can "choose" it in Photo settings and reframing does not work at all. Video capture is great though, you can now make adjustments while recording like manual focus, brightness, WB and even Video light on/off.

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
nice video capture options but the recording is not good.. :( if you record a video and move around too much, the video freezes in milliseconds and continue and when you actually play the recorded video, the time lapse there is very dissapointing.. I'm still using nokia camera for video recording and lumia camera for pictures only.. :)

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I back out of this, restart the camera, and it works fine. Quicker loading, quicker shooting (I wish ...)
Having to go through those extra steps to activate the camera kind of negates the faster loading doesn't it, becomes annoying after awhile. I'm really questioning whether some of the carriers have even gotten the latest firmware from MS to tweak, always hearing the carriers are the bottleneck but not so sure... Just going by may carrier and Android and iOS updates, when announced they appear in short order on their site, not so w/WP. :confused:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Having to go through those extra steps to activate the camera kind of negates the faster loading doesn't it, becomes annoying after awhile. I'm really questioning whether some of the carriers have even gotten the latest firmware from MS to tweak, always hearing the carriers are the bottleneck but not so sure... Just going by may carrier and Android and iOS updates, when announced they appear in short order on their site, not so w/WP. :confused:

iOS definitely. Android, are you sure?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
iOS definitely. Android, are you sure?
What I meant to say is that when a specific model is said to be updated ie Nexus 4/5, all get the update, with the 830 that is not the case with only certain regions getting it and then taking months to reach all... Seems to be the same scenario with "all" WP's.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What I meant to say is that when a specific model is said to be updated ie Nexus 4/5, all get the update, with the 830 that is not the case with only certain regions getting it and then taking months to reach all... Seems to be the same scenario with "all" WP's.

That's because there is only one nexus 4 and 5 since there are no carrier locked versions but there are many versions of the 830 where the regions and carriers have different methods of testing, which is why the Lumia updates takes months to come to all. Same with Samsung, htc, Sony, Motorola updates.

However iPhones are a special case since they bring so much profit for carriers so carriers are forced to test the updates in time or they cannot sell iPhones.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
That's because there is only one nexus 4 and 5 since there are no carrier locked versions but there are many versions of the 830 where the regions and carriers have different methods of testing, which is why the Lumia updates takes months to come to all. Same with Samsung, htc, Sony, Motorola updates.

Was just using the Nexus as an example and maybe not a good one at that LOL, either way they need to expedite the process of firmware updates as "months" is way too long and finding it hard to believe carriers are fully to blame for this and if so, why? Yes other manufactures are slow but like I said, when you hear it's rolling out for a specific model then everyone gets it in short order and that's what counts, too me if this is going to be an ongoing trend with WP then they stem to lose more user than gain, for me it feels like I'm in an endless "beta" loop since my first WP in 2012.

Doubt any time soon it'll come to a point where they "can't" sell iPhones or any iOS device for that matter, special or not they give what the consumer wants in a timely manner which keeps the masses happy.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Having to go through those extra steps to activate the camera kind of negates the faster loading doesn't it, becomes annoying after awhile.

Agreed, I reverted back to Lumia Classic - when I press the camera button, I don't want to fidget about to get the software working, I just want the software to work!
The few times where Lumia Camera 5 did start without nagging about the update, it does start faster - looking forward to using this in the (near?) future.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Another feature I think should be added to Lumia Camera 5 : a quick toggle switch right on the camera UI to enable/disable "Living images".

I love the Living Images feature, but it sometimes messes up the timing of my shots, on account of being delayed about 1s. A quick on/off toggle, not buried in settings, would solve this problem.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the Living Images feature, but it sometimes messes up the timing of my shots, on account of being delayed about 1s. A quick on/off toggle, not buried in settings, would solve this problem.

Buried in settings????
IIt's in the vertical bar to the left.

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Another feature I think should be added to Lumia Camera 5 : a quick toggle switch right on the camera UI to enable/disable "Living images".

Yeah i agree with that, completely!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills