Should I jump from 920 to 830?

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 920 with ATT for 2.5 years now and it's been a great phone. It's had a few issues but overall I love the phone and haven't really even felt the need to upgrade. Well 2.5 years does take a toll on the battery no matter what and I'm lucky to get through the day without charging it. I'm off contract and will stay with ATT and have been looking at the 830. It has pretty much everything I want especially wireless charging built in. The 1520 is too big so the 830 looks just right to me. I know it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade but I don't know how much longer I can deal with my 920's battery. I know as soon as I get the 830 MS will release info of their new "flagship" phone (all these "budget" phones are annoying) and I'll regret the 830. Is the 830 up to par to keep up with future updates from MS such as WP10 and other software updates? I know it won't have the "Hey Cortana" feature due to the processor, but I don't have that feature now so I wouldn't miss it. I don't want to be in the dark completely though if MS releases a bunch of cool features that the 830 won't support. With Amazon offering the 830 with the FitBit package for $0.01 it's making it really hard to turn it down right now. Is it worth renewing a contract for or should I wait for the possibility of a new flagship?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
1. It is a decent sidegrade as noted multiple times.
2. If you can wait a bit longer then it is more advisable. If you are a DIY person, you can change the battery out in your 920.
3. Getting a 635 from Wal-Mart for $49 is not a bad idea to tide things over till a new phone gets announced at MWC and is released let's say around Build 2015.

Good luck.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I went the other way.
I've had an 830 for a few months.
About 1 1/2 months ago I bought a new 920.
Since then my 830 has been sitting in it's box on a shelf.
With the exception of battery life, the 920 simply eats the 830 for lunch.

You can get a replacement battery for your 920 and it's about a 10 min job to replace the battery. Three screws is all.
After 2 1/2 year, your battery has simply lost capacity (all lithium batteries will).

I've tried a lot of Lumia's over the last year, 830, 1520, 1020, 930, 925 and the 920.
I have returned them all, other than the 830 for various problems.
The 920 has, by far, been the most problem free Lumia that I've had and it's snappier than the 830.
:)
Fred

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
the 920 simply eats the 830 for lunch.

Yow, Fred. Care to elaborate on the short comings of the 830. I was just about t pull the trigger on one, thought I would check here first in case there was a special deal somewhere. Now this!!!

I was seconds away form handing over the credit card. :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I went from a 920 to a1520 to an 830... no regrets. It's quick, it's smooth (granted, I don't play any power-intensive games) and has every feature you could want in a WP. Bigger display than the 920 (but not the behemoth 1520's), PureView Camera, OIS, wireless charging, great battery life, removable battery, exchangeable back covers, expandable storage... everything the 920 has plus a few more features. It's also a lot thinner and lighter. One major reason I got the 830 though is aesthetics. I personally think it's the most beautiful smartphone on the market.

I loved the 920 for its time, but the experience on the 830 just feels more complete and more modern for me.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 920 to a1520 to an 830... no regrets. It's quick, it's smooth (granted, I don't play any power-intensive games) and has every feature you could want in a WP. Bigger display than the 920 (but not the behemoth 1520's), PureView Camera, OIS, wireless charging, great battery life, removable battery, exchangeable back covers, expandable storage... everything the 920 has plus a few more features. It's also a lot thinner and lighter. One major reason I got the 830 though is aesthetics. I personally think it's the most beautiful smartphone on the market.

I loved the 920 for its time, but the experience on the 830 just feels more complete and more modern for me.

Did the same thing and have to agree. To many issues with the 1520, and the 920s screen has me feeling like I'm in the dark ages. I absolutely love the 830. Was going to order a 930 and return the 830, but at this point I'm sticking to the 830, it's just been that fantastic.

anon(8439721)

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
the 920 simply eats the 830 for lunch.

This lunch must be badly served then.
I always convince myself that the 920s specs are better than the Snap400 powered Lumias, but the fact is the fact still, new mid-range Lumias perform better compared to 920s on Cyan.

A 50/50 situation for the OP. It would be a small update for you, as the 830s are lightly better in almost every aspects, and the price is very considerable. But I really think the next Lumia flagship would be tempting and would blow current models out of the water, considering it would be powered by the 64bit Snap810 and would come with Windows 10 pre-installed. And it's pretty common in smartphone industry these days when the previous flagship/midrange phones being left out in the cold, having nothing more than a generic firmware update. The 920s could be an example.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I got my daughter an 830. I have the HTC One M8 for Windows. Though my phone has vastly superior specs (except camera) part of me is slightly jealous. The 830 is an impressive device that does what you want it to and feels better in the hand than any other phone I've ever held. It is a great device.

Now, if you are going to want that next flagship device preloaded with W10, you may want to hold out. If you are ready to pull the trigger, though, I suspect you will be very happy with the 830.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
1. It is a decent sidegrade as noted multiple times.
2. If you can wait a bit longer then it is more advisable. If you are a DIY person, you can change the battery out in your 920.
3. Getting a 635 from Wal-Mart for $49 is not a bad idea to tide things over till a new phone gets announced at MWC and is released let's say around Build 2015.

Good luck.
This is great advice. I have an 830, it is a really nice phone. Beautiful design, great build and good performance. Let's be honest, it is not a flagship but an outstanding midranger. I cracked the screen on mine so I bought a 635 as a backup and I love it! Been using it as my daily driver for a week. Do miss Glance and wireless charging though.

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I went and looked at the 830 in the store a while back and compared it to my 920 side by side. I don't think the 920 outperformed the 830 at all. It was very comparable but the 830 was faster, screen brighter and more vibrant, thinner, lighter, and bigger. As I think about a new flagship it will have to meet some of my demands, the biggest being built in wireless charging, but as of now there isn't even a hint of a new flagship coming! MS has hinted at new phones for the past year and they have all been "budget" phones. I swear if they do that again then I'm dumping MS. Windows phone I believe is superior to all other OS's and I don't want to bail but I'm holding out in the sweet glinting hope that they have something to release and even if they do it won't actually be released till later this year. Making me lean more and more to the 830.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
This is great advice. I have an 830, it is a really nice phone. Beautiful design, great build and good performance. Let's be honest, it is not a flagship but an outstanding midranger. I cracked the screen on mine so I bought a 635 as a backup and I love it! Been using it as my daily driver for a week. Do miss Glance and wireless charging though.

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

I got a TMO 635 yesterday and am running Win10 TP right now. Just for the grins...my daily driver is a 925.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I went and looked at the 830 in the store a while back and compared it to my 920 side by side. I don't think the 920 outperformed the 830 at all. It was very comparable but the 830 was faster, screen brighter and more vibrant, thinner, lighter, and bigger. As I think about a new flagship it will have to meet some of my demands, the biggest being built in wireless charging, but as of now there isn't even a hint of a new flagship coming! MS has hinted at new phones for the past year and they have all been "budget" phones. I swear if they do that again then I'm dumping MS. Windows phone I believe is superior to all other OS's and I don't want to bail but I'm holding out in the sweet glinting hope that they have something to release and even if they do it won't actually be released till later this year. Making me lean more and more to the 830.

I understand your predicament...just hold on for a week longer and see if they announce anything interesting at MWC.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
to tide things over till a new phone gets announced at MWC and is released let's say around Build 2015.

But that's also the problem. What they announce and when they deliver locally (wherever local is) and my local is the US, is a huge time lag. Take the 735 announced mid past year. Supposed to be one Verizon late 2014, then AT&T would have it by Jan/Feb this year. {sigh} Yeah, right.

So it comes down to buying from the local gray market with no local warranty and that sucks too. Msoft needs to stop this carrire crap and release phones here. Look at Expansys, they have four models of 930 and are constantly in stock and almost as fast out of stock. Amazon vendors much the same, One showed 15 green in stock last Tuesday then Thursday, nil-stock, more coming. Obviously there is market here, but what would I know. :)

Still waiting to hear from Fred as to what broke his heart with the 830.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
But that's also the problem. What they announce and when they deliver locally (wherever local is) and my local is the US, is a huge time lag. Take the 735 announced mid past year. Supposed to be one Verizon late 2014, then AT&T would have it by Jan/Feb this year. {sigh} Yeah, right.

So it comes down to buying from the local gray market with no local warranty and that sucks too. Msoft needs to stop this carrire crap and release phones here. Look at Expansys, they have four models of 930 and are constantly in stock and almost as fast out of stock. Amazon vendors much the same, One showed 15 green in stock last Tuesday then Thursday, nil-stock, more coming. Obviously there is market here, but what would I know. :)

Still waiting to hear from Fred as to what broke his heart with the 830.

If you want a cheap reliable source from overseas PM me. Better prices most of the time than Expansys. Cheers!

doraemon_918

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I just moved to 830 from 920 two weeks ago, and I didn't regret that decision even a little tiny bit. In my opinion, the 830 was faster, smaller (even with bigger screen), and lighter (I didn't really mind the weight of the 920, but 830 does feel nice). Btw, I think the 830 takes better picture than 920.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I simply couldn't live without SensorCore now.. But other than that, I suggest you to wait for MWC or Windows 10 launch. It's still a long way for w10 launch but I bet it'll be worth it and by that time, I'm pretty sure you can afford the flagship. Just replace the battery. The 920 is a fantastic device until now

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here's Fred :)
I have both the 830 and 920 and the 830 has been sitting in it's box on a shelf for close to 2 months now, since I got the 920.
The 830 is certainly thinner and lighter than the 920, however, for me, the 920 is much easier to hold and use, especially one handed, because of it's rounded design (the Lumia smile as it's called). All the "newer" Lumia's that I tried (930, 1020, 1520, 925) are all a much more square and "sharp" edge design and all feel lager, in the hand, then other makes of phones with the same screen size. Easy to check, go to a store and pick up a Samsung S5 (which has a larger screen than the 830) and see how much easier it is to hold and use, than the 830, especially one handed, which, to me, is important.
Regarding "speed" or "snappiness" I found a handful of videos on Youtube (before I got the 920) doing direct compares with the 1520 and 920, loading webpages, starting apps (same apps on both phones and same wi-fi connection on both phones), changing screens, scrolling, bring background task back to the foreground and the 920 was actually a little faster than the 1520 on more than half of the demos.
My experience with the 920, compared to the 830 (already mentioned "holdability", even though the 920 is a lot heavier), the 920's screen is a LOT more responsive to touch than my 830 (yes both have the touch setting at "normal"). For instance my 920 responds instantly to the double tap to wake, the 830 you have to be a little delibrate with it, two (not too hard) taps and not too fast. The 920 doesn't care. The 920's response touch is very noticeable better than the 830.
The 920 has much less "resuming" when switching between apps (same apps on both phones).
The 920 loads probably about half the apps that I regularly use, faster than the 830, the other half about the same.
In the almost 2 months that I've had the 920, I have not seen a single "problem" with it as opposed to the 830 which locks and resets fairly often and seems less optimized for a few of the chat apps that I use, that is those apps use battery faster on the 830 than the 920 when I'm in an extended chat session with a friend or friends.
So those are the basic reasons why my 920 is my dd now and my 830 is sitting in it's box.
I used the 830 for several months before I got the 920, so I do have even more drive time on it than the 920, currently.

Fred

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills