Lumia 830 or Lumia 640 XL

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
He has 3000+ posts, he should know that megapixels are not as important as having OIS or Rich Recording.

Post count isn't have relationships with someone opinion.
Let's compare the battery 1st
830 has close battery with 930. While 930 has full HD + snapdragon 800 830 only have 720p and snapdragon 400.
930 also have 20mp camera while 830 only got a half

That means it's dramatically improved battery life. While 930 have enough power for everyday uses. 830 lot better.

So what is the relationship with 640XL?
It's got bigger screen which is need more power usage. More resource usage when running apps. While they have similar chipset 830 has advantages due to it's small screen when it comes to battery life and performance.

14MP yeah but let me ask you honestly. Does it really matter? Even you wouldn't know which devices used. Even 1020 user isn't going to post their full sized pict on social network.

And I doubt people print and frame every picture they take with their smartphone.

Again 14mp means more pixel. While they didn't have OIS feature the image they taken may not really different with 10mp with OIS but when it comes to low light conditions? See that yourself. And 14mp image take more space and 14mp sensor are heavier than 10mp it may be small but in theory 830 has better speed and battery life in shooting image.

Now we come to it's physical condition. You all aware that 830 are designed by Nokia while 640XL by Microsoft. Looking back at 535 issues in touch who knows they didn't have any deflect too.
If they didn't have any still Nokia made are get better build quality.

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Post count isn't have relationships with someone opinion.
Let's compare the battery 1st
830 has close battery with 930. While 930 has full HD + snapdragon 800 830 only have 720p and snapdragon 400.
930 also have 20mp camera while 830 only got a half

That means it's dramatically improved battery life. While 930 have enough power for everyday uses. 830 lot better.

So what is the relationship with 640XL?
It's got bigger screen which is need more power usage. More resource usage when running apps. While they have similar chipset 830 has advantages due to it's small screen when it comes to battery life and performance.

14MP yeah but let me ask you honestly. Does it really matter? Even you wouldn't know which devices used. Even 1020 user isn't going to post their full sized pict on social network.

And I doubt people print and frame every picture they take with their smartphone.

Again 14mp means more pixel. While they didn't have OIS feature the image they taken may not really different with 10mp with OIS but when it comes to low light conditions? See that yourself. And 14mp image take more space and 14mp sensor are heavier than 10mp it may be small but in theory 830 has better speed and battery life in shooting image.

Now we come to it's physical condition. You all aware that 830 are designed by Nokia while 640XL by Microsoft. Looking back at 535 issues in touch who knows they didn't have any deflect too.
If they didn't have any still Nokia made are get better build quality.

Thanks!

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about the 640XL but I instead got a 1520 used for more or less the same price (around 50 euros more). I thought that for the price, the 1520 is a much better buy:
better processor
better camera <-- really important for me
better screen
larger battery

I am coming from the Lumia 930. What was killing me about the 930 was the battery life and the heat. I also needed an SD card as it turned out. So I was looking between the 640XL new or the 1520 used. I opted for the 1520. But if I couldn't get the 1520, I would have for sure purchased the 640XL. I'm not looking for a device to hold me over for a year. I was looking for a device that would hold me over until the next flagship device from MS. I need a larger than 5 inch screen. Easier typing. Larger fonts on the screen. Love it!

I wish the 640XL had a FHD screen and wireless charging, but I would have survived without them. But the camera... the 830 will PROBABLY be better, but the 640XL will have a decent camera for the price. Everything comes down to "value for money" and I think the XL is a fantastic buy for 210 euros. Large battery, large screen, decent camera, awesome OS. For that money, I'd totally recommend it to ANY phone user for the price! Except maybe hardcore gamers or moders! haha.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The 640XL arguably represents better overall value than the 830 and by extension, its lesser siblings, the 730/735. So if you're on a budget, the 640XL will likely meet or exceed your needs. However, with PureView, OIS, the latest features in Denim and a dedicated camera button, the 830 continues to standout with features that are important to me so I would still choose that. But for those that might have been hesitant because of cost, the 640XL will be a fantastic offering and will no doubt sell well and even entice potential switchers.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about the 640XL but I instead got a 1520 used for more or less the same price (around 50 euros more). I thought that for the price, the 1520 is a much better buy:
better processor
better camera <-- really important for me
better screen
larger battery

I am coming from the Lumia 930. What was killing me about the 930 was the battery life and the heat. I also needed an SD card as it turned out. So I was looking between the 640XL new or the 1520 used. I opted for the 1520. But if I couldn't get the 1520, I would have for sure purchased the 640XL. I'm not looking for a device to hold me over for a year. I was looking for a device that would hold me over until the next flagship device from MS. I need a larger than 5 inch screen. Easier typing. Larger fonts on the screen. Love it!

I wish the 640XL had a FHD screen and wireless charging, but I would have survived without them. But the camera... the 830 will PROBABLY be better, but the 640XL will have a decent camera for the price. Everything comes down to "value for money" and I think the XL is a fantastic buy for 210 euros. Large battery, large screen, decent camera, awesome OS. For that money, I'd totally recommend it to ANY phone user for the price! Except maybe hardcore gamers or moders! haha.

I think you made a good choice. I was on a 1520 prior to my 830 and were it not for the size and the swipe/tap/scroll bug, I'd call it the best WP device out there. Those issues made me switch to the 830 though, along with simply loving the 830's aesthetics and feature-set.

If you don't mind the size, you'll love your 1520. Just hope the swipe/tap/scroll bug isn't as bad on your device as some others, but it seems they all have it (except for AT&T's green variant). I'm personally happy I made the switch to the 830 but the 1520 continues to be one of the devices I recommend to people depending on their needs.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If it matters to anyone, Paul Thurrott tweeted earlier today that WP Update 8.1.2 might only ship on newer devices like the 640 and 640 XL and not existing phones.
Unconfirmed, but source tells me Windows Phone 8.1.2 will not roll out to previous phones, just ship on new devices

I still prefer the 830 over the 640 XL for its design, Pureview OIS, built in wireless charging, and a dedicated camera button. Having a 920 currently, I'm not willing to give up those features anytime soon. What confuses me is that if the 640 XL is indeed not Pureview, then how does it have Lumia Camera 5 while older Pureview phones (920, 925, 1020) would not get this update? Daniel said something yesterday about it being due to the processor. And even though Lumia Camera 5 will be default camera in Windows 10, older devices will probably still not get it.

I've wanted to side-grade to the 830 for a few months now and would have bought it on AT&T Next 12 before Christmas, but have held off since AT&T still has not released the full Denim update needed for Lumia Camera 5. #FAIL :eck:

Sarmad Khalil

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I have 830... For some reason, the camera, an overhyped feature really, doesn't impress me. It takes good shots but really not impressive ones... not like the new iphone 6(it has an amaaaazing camera) or s5.. I think the 640 has a pretty decent value for bucks... U get 5mp ffc in it, whereas below 1mp in 830.. U get it u know.. But i should emphasize here that the design of 830 is pretty darn good unlike 640 xl, where u get plastic... So u should get it... 640 xl is a better choice than 830 overall...

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It really does depend on what you want first. Screen or features... I understand what everyone is saying but I still think, for me the 640xl is the better device. But I'm no gamer. That's for sure! For that I have an android tablet and a kick **** pc. 😁

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In my mind the 830 was a perfect successor "flagship" device, except for it's lower processor which means it would lack things like Hey Cortana. Has Glance, QI charging, MicroSD, great design, the works. The 640/XL looks great, but lacks even more than the 830 did from what I can tell (no camera button, etc). Does the 640 have anything new though that the 830 doesn't hardware-wise? I could be wrong but I don't think so. The XL just adds a larger screen and slightly better camera, neither of which I would think are enough to sacrifice the QI or dedicated button still. Battery life is a wash because that's completely dependent on usage scenario and they're roughly equivalent. The 830 is still supposed to receive an additional denim update making the camera better too.

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got a quick question:
If the 640 XL is not pureview, how come it has Lumia Camera 5 and Lumia Moments, which I guess is only for Pureview?

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I had a Lumia 1320 and the 640XL reminds me of it. My mom lost hers so I gave her mine. I really loved the screen and the feel of the device in my hand. I currently use my 830 and am really enjoying it. While I do wish I still had my 1320, I'm thinking the 640XL will make a great second device. Battery life is excellent on my 830, but doesn't come near what I had with the 1320, and what the 640XL might offer. As for the camera, I'm pretty sure either one will be enough for regular, everyday pics.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I've got a quick question:
If the 640 XL is not pureview, how come it has Lumia Camera 5 and Lumia Moments, which I guess is only for Pureview?

that I don't know but I think it has to do with GDR2 since that's the only I can think that is different from the other lumia phones

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Sahib, you have an 830, right?
Are the pictures taken with the front camera good?
the pics are ...meh at best... nothing wow about it sure for Skype and snapchat( when we had it :crying:) was usable but not so much for selfies or group pictures the XL will be better for that

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think you made a good choice. I was on a 1520 prior to my 830 and were it not for the size and the swipe/tap/scroll bug, I'd call it the best WP device out there. Those issues made me switch to the 830 though, along with simply loving the 830's aesthetics and feature-set.

If you don't mind the size, you'll love your 1520. Just hope the swipe/tap/scroll bug isn't as bad on your device as some others, but it seems they all have it (except for AT&T's green variant). I'm personally happy I made the switch to the 830 but the 1520 continues to be one of the devices I recommend to people depending on their needs.

I had 3 green variants and they all had it.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have 830... For some reason, the camera, an overhyped feature really, doesn't impress me. It takes good shots but really not impressive ones... not like the new iphone 6(it has an amaaaazing camera) or s5.. I think the 640 has a pretty decent value for bucks... U get 5mp ffc in it, whereas below 1mp in 830.. U get it u know.. But i should emphasize here that the design of 830 is pretty darn good unlike 640 xl, where u get plastic... So u should get it... 640 xl is a better choice than 830 overall...
Do you have the complete denim update on your 830?

Wessam Hussien

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
So, the extra 3mp on XL won't make difference in the picture quality?

No, it will make deference as Lumia 640XL has bigger sensor size than Lumia 830 right under lumia 930 size - MP count will help - f-number/aperture more than lumia 830 which means it will collect more light so the low light photos must be better than Lumia 830. in the other hand Lumia 830 has 6 optics - PureView - slightly better by 2mm focal length - video recording with 3 Mics. But we have to wait till there is Camera comparison between both to decide maybe 640Xl will win (the main camera options is there bigger sensor - more MP counts - f-number/aperture). Also Lumia 640 wins in battery life and front facing camera and I think it has also wireless charging look at these 4 dots also look at the case it has wireless charging like the one Lumia 830 has. So if you look in the general the Lumia 640XL I think will better camera as the still photos has bigger sensor, more MP counts and more f-number/aperture for the video yes mics will make difference but we so it with old Lumias and even old Nokias it will not be too bad. So we will wait till there is comparison. CC-3090.png111111.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs