When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Lumia support on Twitter took down my info, and I got a call from Microsoft today finally. She said basically, Microsoft has been working with ATT on the 830 update, but at the end of the road, it's really up to ATT on if they will, or will not release the update. And if they don't, all she can say is "sorry" As to why the 983 model isn't listed on Microsoft's phone update page anymore, she was clueless as to why, and took that as "feedback" to check on with somebody else.

No real information at all that we didn't' already know. We can still enjoy the "classic" camera she did point out. What a joke.
Have been there myself through Twitter and got the same exact response. At least they listened to my twitter complaints and gave me a call.
+ for effort.

never bothered lumia support on twitter. @ATTCARES is just ignoring me now.
yep, same here. They have not responded to my last tweets, while MS tried to be nice.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, all this is making me want to just buy a 640 XL unlocked to run on ATT instead of waiting for the 950 and shelling out probably 6 or 700 dollars for the phone to unlock it once my 830 dies... because at this point I REALLY don't want to be at ATT's mercy for updates, even if it means forgoing the subsidized cost of phones. Maybe I'm just annoyed and I'm speaking irrationally, but the 640 XL looks pretty good, and even a refurbished One M8 for Windows (my original phone) from ebay for like 250 bucks looks like a great deal.

NoMacDroid

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone talk about the last resort that AT&T offers - Binding Arbitration. I am thinking about taking this route. I have two 830's, one for me and one for my wife. One bought through AT&T Next and the other as new from eBay. Perhaps arbitration will lead to different results than BBB.

It can cost $200 up front if you file, but AT&T says they will reimburse you. I think we have a good case here, so I might send this in in the next day or two. I'll need to assemble the "evidence". I'll take any suggestions as to why/how AT&T has deceived us.

I'm a newbie, so the forum won't let me post a link to AT&T's arbitration page. But search the AT&T site for binding arbitration and I'm sure you can find it.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone talk about the last resort that AT&T offers - Binding Arbitration. I am thinking about taking this route. I have two 830's, one for me and one for my wife. One bought through AT&T Next and the other as new from eBay. Perhaps arbitration will lead to different results than BBB.

It can cost $200 up front if you file, but AT&T says they will reimburse you. I think we have a good case here, so I might send this in in the next day or two. I'll need to assemble the "evidence". I'll take any suggestions as to why/how AT&T has deceived us.

I'm a newbie, so the forum won't let me post a link to AT&T's arbitration page. But search the AT&T site for binding arbitration and I'm sure you can find it.

Interesting, sounds very complicated to me though. Found this on the ATT site.

NoMacDroid

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that is the AT&T page with info about filing a complaint, thanks. It doesn't look much more complicated than filing a BBB complaint. I plan to use some of the text from the previous BBB complaint that you already posted on this thread. Per the complaint page, I send in the first form to AT&T (Notice of Dispute), wait up to 30 days for them to make an offer, and if I get nothing I file the official complaint with the third party arbitrator.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So apart from settings menu
what is the difference
to the FULL Denim update

1. Lumia Classic Camera vs Lumia 5. You won't have the faster camera startup and Rich Capture feature.
2. Newer bluetooth stack. Some claims that it solves some BT connection problems.
3. Netflix. It doesn't work on RM983 now.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
1. Lumia Classic Camera vs Lumia 5. You won't have the faster camera startup and Rich Capture feature.
Yup, without the updated firmware, Lumia camera won't even open, telling you to go update your phone

2. Newer bluetooth stack. Some claims that it solves some BT connection problems.
I have had minor issues, but others have had reboot worthy problems

3. Netflix. It doesn't work on RM983 now.
no binge watching on the go! wonder if it's DRM related as Crackle couldn't resume a movie ever after an ad played. Something my 920 can still do.

There is also a #4. Sometimes the wifi/bluetooth stack "freezes" and you have to reboot to be able to turn wifi/bluetooth on or off again.

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
One other thing. As is the 830 does not appear to be in line to receive the released version of Win10 mobile.

According to Microsoft’s web site and only phones with operating systems of 8.10.14219.317 or later would receive the upgrade. The Operating System on my wife’s 830 is #: 8.10.14176.243. As such this phone will not receive the upgrade.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
One other thing. As is the 830 does not appear to be in line to receive the released version of Win10 mobile.

According to Microsoft’s web site and only phones with operating systems of 8.10.14219.317 or later would receive the upgrade. The Operating System on my wife’s 830 is #: 8.10.14176.243. As such this phone will not receive the upgrade.

on this, until Windows 10 is on the device, the carrier still controls updates. There is always a possibility of a carrier sitting on an update to push various at the same time. It's happened a couple of times recently, but then there were a few that were just forgotten (tmobile 820 anyone??)

So... still in at&t's hands and a small chance that they actually have some kind of plan. then again, it's at&t. as it seems to have been proven, there is NO customer care there.

webwevers

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I filled a BBB complaint and AT&T called me today, they said that they have been receiving many complaints and that they are waiting for Samsung to release the software to them to update the Nokia 830. I politely asked how Samsung would provide an update to a Microsoft product. Oh well at least I got a laugh out of it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I filled a BBB complaint and AT&T called me today, they said that they have been receiving many complaints and that they are waiting for Samsung to release the software to them to update the Nokia 830. I politely asked how Samsung would provide an update to a Microsoft product. Oh well at least I got a laugh out of it.

So funny how AT&T keeps digging themselves into a hole. This further proves that the people handling BBB complaints have ZERO clue to what is happening, but are trying to close complaints as quickly as possible. What kind of resolution are you looking for webwevers?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
AT&T though that blowing me off would suffice and tried to close the complaint. I'm not letting them off that easy. At this point I'll just try to drag it out to entertain myself. The funny thing is the same person called me and doesn't seem to remember that they already told me to shove it! This is how they end their response as if totally dismissing my complaint offhandedly is going to resolve it and I suddenly will become happy with their customer service.

"AT&T regrets any inconvenience caused by this matter. We trust this letter addresses your concerns regarding this complaint."

They really are clueless.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Think its time for me to join in and file a complaint. Can I do that though as I purchased the phone from Microsoft even though it is an at&t product?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Think its time for me to join in and file a complaint. Can I do that though as I purchased the phone from Microsoft even though it is an at&t product?

yes, as long as it's an AT&T branded device. Just be thorough and well, lift as much info as you need from this thread.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
That is the situation I was in and AT&T basically told me that they spoke with Microsoft and both MS and AT&T were telling me I was out of the "buyers remorse" period and I wasn't going to be getting any sort of settlement.

Having said that, I still would file a complaint. Some folks have had better luck than I and even if you're just a small pain in AT&T's behind it may be worth it. Besides, the more complaints that get generated, the stronger our case becomes.

I'm going to cling to my complaint until the BBB says I'm done. I won't get anything, but it will keep them from closing it if nothing else.

A small, hollow victory, but I'll have to take what I can get.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I submitted another rebuttal yesterday that I was dissatisfied with the latest response that was basically that "you'll know there's an update available when your phone alerts you." I detailed how other older AT&T phones had received this update already and how long it has been since other carriers and unlocked devices started releasing the update for the 830.

I received an email this morning that BBB closed my complaint because I didn't provide any new information.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup, without the updated firmware, Lumia camera won't even open, telling you to go update your phone

I have had minor issues, but others have had reboot worthy problems

no binge watching on the go! wonder if it's DRM related as Crackle couldn't resume a movie ever after an ad played. Something my 920 can still do.

There is also a #4. Sometimes the wifi/bluetooth stack "freezes" and you have to reboot to be able to turn wifi/bluetooth on or off again.

Yeah, with all these problems except #1, we could claim that the RM983 is a defect product and AT&T/MS need to fix it or replace it. Given that it is 9 to 10 months after its release and no fix have been provided, we could ask for a refund.

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had assumed that the phone would be fully supported when we bought it. It was about 22 days after we bought the phone when I saw this thread. We couldn't make it to the store until we had the phone for 28 days. The assistant store manager, who was very courteous, said there was nothing he could do. I asked for his manager's name and sent her an e-mail on Monday (day 31). I am still waiting for a response.

I will continue to escalate up the retail chain as needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisaMarchent