Upgraded to 830, feel disappointed....

Robbie95

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
having a 820 for 2 years, decided to 'upgrade' to the 830, and to be honest I feel a bit disappointed.

Firstly the build quality im not so sure on, it almost seems like Nokia/Microsoft have been cutting comers. The metal band around the edge has a painted feel to it apposed to a anodized finish which IMO feels cheap. The back shell has far to many gaps between the metal for my liking, coming from my 820 which had the tightest fitting shell that still had a ton of crap behind it so dunno how the 830 will fare. I also noticed at night you can see the captive button back lights showing through the gap between the glass and metal trim, to be fair the the metal frame doesn't really fit snug around the glass all that well.

The screen really angers me, horrid LCD dark grey blacks, coming from AMOLED which I loved with the clear black and vibrant colours, the detail its self is good being 720p but the 735 has the better screen. Suppose it wont be such an issue for me when W10 comes out. I feel like the lumias are based around the cameras, with each excelling in different areas is frustrating, 830 good camera but cheaped out on LCD, processor, poor front cam. Same with 735 not so good rear cam, good front, hd amoled, 930 great rear cam, poor front, no glance. See what i'm trying to say here? Seems like they are moving goal posts imo.

I thought the camera was supposed to be 10mp, in the settings I only have 8mp quality setting, but having said that the camera is rather good and is a upgrade to the 820.

Performance, not sure if ive got a faulty unit but the stuttering when going back to home screen really winds me up, my 820 runs a lot smoother running exactly the same apps. Some games are a bit laggy as well.

I had a weird thing going on with my speaker this morning when my alarm went off, it was making a crackling sound, almost distortion but it wasn't turned up to loud so im not sure if other people had this?

Is it supposed to make like a faint beeping sound when charging via Qi?

The glance doesn't work as good as my 820, used to be able to swipe my hand across the screen to see the time but 830 sometimes doesn't respond or be delayed, maybe a sensor sensitivity problem. Same with the back button can be non responsive sometimes.

I know it sounds like im moaning but my 820 has been sweet as a nut for 2 years, had my 830 for a few days and these things really are getting on my nerves, almost contemplating sending it back

Im just hoping other people can relate to this!

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I have a 1520 for over a year, and wanted to try a smaller phone and came across a 830 on a good deal, first thing I noticed was the micro stutter on homescreen and scrolling notifications, but its only sometimes. It seems to happen consistently if I have music playing and return to home... I think it can be corrected with updates.

The is an app called diagnostic toolset, it has a direct x cube test and you can see it slow and stutter on frames at times, but what's odd is when it stutters if you touch the screen and move your finger around the motion becomes faster and returns to normal.

For the home screen lag remove all tiles and start adding them back one at time and see if any tiles are the cause, I know one people have this issue with is any Cortana tile.... Reminders, news, main, etc.

Check out "Diagnostics Toolset" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=7e500919-deda-4a9c-93c5-c9fc9a046ffa

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Lumia 830.

It's an upgrade for Lumia 520,620 and 720.

Going from L820 to L830 is actually a downgrade not upgrade.
Remember no matter how fancy L830 is from outside but under the hood(processor) it is same as $150 phone.
Means phone performance will be same as $150 phone

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my new $200 Lumia 830 for only 24 hours now and I might be feeling disappointed too. Coming from a good working 920, I knew this was a side grade but this was a great deal so I wanted to check it out.

I kind of miss the rounded corners of my 920. If the 830 had the design of the 925 it might be perfect. The 920 & 925 have great designs. And the 830 being so thin and light will take some time getting used to.

My biggest complaint so far is with the display. Glance and double tap seem slower to respond on the 830. Even turning on the display with the power button is slower than my 920. Not sure why. But Glance and double tap to wake are some of my favorite things about WP. Also the back button is not as responsive as my 920. And no I'm not using a screen protector.

Does everyone else agree about the 830 display lag? I'm wondering if I did a hard reset with a fresh install, and didn't restore the backup from my 920, then it might improve. Or maybe once my 830 gets the proper Denim update that might help. But I'm doubtful...

purefire21

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that 😞, I went from a titan 2, to a blu win HD, and a 920, now I have the Nokia 635 orange that I got for $30 on sale and it a really good phone, I was going to wait for a windows 10 flagship but I think this phone is perfect 👌

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for 2 days and absolutely love it. I also own a 920, a 1020, and a 635. No display lag here. I did start up fresh and did not use a back up profile.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought the camera was supposed to be 10mp, in the settings I only have 8mp quality setting, but having said that the camera is rather good and is a upgrade to the 820.

can't really comment on the others, but MP count is counted by the total number of pixels the circular sensor can take, from which a rectangular photo is cut out of typically. So the count on the spec sheet and actual photos aren't the same. It's the norm across the board.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same boat, was thinking of doing a hard reset + fresh install to see if the weird stutter goes away, but I doubt it, more likely it can be fixed in software, I feel like its a processor throttling issue like its scaling down too quickly resulting in jumpy UI because of slowed frame rate, I know back in my Android days there were tweaks in the HTC One kernel devs came up with a setting that would ramp up CPU scale on input on screen, meaning that when the screen is being used (touch) the processor would goto max frequency, based on my observations with the direct x cube test, if the test starts to lag then touching screen would make it return to normal.... To me that seems like when we touch the screen the CPU scaling changes and increases frequency, that's why the benchmark runs fluid, but when the CPU scales down it starts to choke on UI animations.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
no way going from 820 to 830 is a downgrade. Like... nope!

820 x 830
Screen: 4.3 in - 480 x 800 px - 217 ppi vs 5 in - 720 x 1280 px - 294 ppi
Battery: by miles better on the 830, 1650 mAh vs 2200 mAh. The difference on daily use is just whopping
build quality: thinner, premium finish
camera: 8 mp vs 10 mp PureView
storage: 8 gb, micro SD up to 64 gb vs 16 gb, micro SD up to 128 gb

Amoled will always give you better viewing angles and more vibrant colors, that's its advantage over LCD. The 830 does have some screen settings though (i set mine to "vivid" and it looks great). And Amoled indeed has "blacker blacks", as its black pixels are turned off completely, while LCD always have a backlight no matter what color the screen is showing. Again, trying some color settings will help.

I believe all Nokia metal frames are painted. My former black 925 had some chipping on the frame that showed its true color underneath.

front facing camera is not impressive but it gets the job done.

btw i had the same screen issues with my 830, Glance and navigation buttons malfunctioned. My phone is currently at the repair center, i hope they can fix it. I didn't have any backlight or sound distortion issues though, so you might have a faulty device as well. The stuttering might be a software issue that can be fixed through updates.

overall the 830 is awesome, especially the battery life, just priced a bit high in my opinion

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Spec wise it's not a downgrade, but apparently in common usage it's a downgrade. Remember specs aren't everything if it doesn't perform/feel how it should.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I did have problems but the denim update helped me fix most of them except for GPS not working and capacity buttons still not working at its best.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Lumia 830.

It's an upgrade for Lumia 520,620 and 720.

Going from L820 to L830 is actually a downgrade not upgrade.
Remember no matter how fancy L830 is from outside but under the hood(processor) it is same as $150 phone.
Means phone performance will be same as $150 phone

Lol this couldn't be more wrong. RAM and operating system play gigantic roles in performance. Performance is no worse than my 920 and barely any different from my 1520.

Not sure if the OP has a faulty unit but my display is as bright and vibrant as ever after tweaking the brightness and color profiles in Settings.

Not sure why you're experiencing "stuttering" on your home screen. Did you try unpinning Cortana?

Is your Glance Screen set to Always On? I've noticed no performance issues with Glance and Double Tap to Wake when compared to my 920 and 1520.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I've tried these WP in order.. 925, 1320, 1520, 535/735, 830 and now the 930. Overall the "BEST"experience i've had has been with the 1520.3, the size is very limiting though if you're active but the expandable storage gives it a point over the 930. After the 1520 I've had a run of WP that have had decent features but overall did not fit the bill. Recently i've been itching to try WP again over my iPhone 6 and tried the 535/735 in conjunction with the 830. Out of the three I would personally go with the 735 unlocked from B&G Photo. The Phone seemed more responsive than the 830 and the screen is incredible compared to the 830. Camera wise the 830 had a slight advantage but not worth the extra cost. In the end I returned all three phones and left with a feeling that WP wasn't for me. In the past week I found the 930 unlocked for less than the 830 on Amazon or compared to the retailers and decided to give it a try. The 930 is a beautiful device, screen is incredible, performance is snappy and the build quality is second to none. So far I've experience slight over heating, mostly during initial setup but it has since decreased. Battery life is OK but could use improvement but overall an excellent experience. The only thing I find lacking is the expandable storage but so far 32GB has been enough for all my music and apps. Glance would be nice but It's not a deal breaker for me. The Camera has met all expectations which isn't a surprise, is functions just like my 1520.3.

To get to the point, for the money you can get an unlocked 930 for the price of a 830 within North America. I would personally try both. If the 830/930 is out of reach get the 735 from B&H. It'll beat the 830 in almost all cases minus the pixel count in the camera.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Also that Adreno 305 is too slow for intensive gfx as it has to power 720P resolution. My Lumia 620 did better as it was 400x840 The processor is also slow for rendering webpages, SD800 in 930/1520 is way better in performance. . Get either if you want much better performance.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Lol this couldn't be more wrong. RAM and operating system play gigantic roles in performance. Performance is no worse than my 920 and barely any different from my 1520.

Not sure if the OP has a faulty unit but my display is as bright and vibrant as ever after tweaking the brightness and color profiles in Settings.

Not sure why you're experiencing "stuttering" on your home screen. Did you try unpinning Cortana?

Is your Glance Screen set to Always On? I've noticed no performance issues with Glance and Double Tap to Wake when compared to my 920 and 1520.

Lumia 635 also have 1 GB RAM.Nokia Lumia 635 - Full phone specifications

and this phone may perfom better than L830 because it has less pixel to push compare to L830 with same processor.

Yes OS play major role but difference aren't big as both have same OS( but different firmware).
however
apps/games performance will be same or worse. Not better.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I was disappointed the moment they announced the 830. Boring color options, no amoled screen, no bottom firing speakers, blocky design, etc. There's just not a lot that's compelling about it if you're coming from an 820 or a 920 as it has too many compromises and is far too expensive for what you get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3