Screen developing yellow stain

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
After 6 months of reliable service my 830's screen started to develop a light yellow stain top left hand corner - sent it off for repair under warranty - thankfully I held on to my trusty Samsung Ativ S so I am not left phoneless!

Very disappointed ... but on the bright side I see Samsung and Microsoft have patched up their relationship so may be Samsung will release a new Windows phone.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, Will ... yes, I'm in the UK. At the request of my retailer I sent the phone to Shop Direct in Norwich. It came straight back with "we can't see a yellow stain" so I photographed it and sent it straight back to them. Hoping to get the phone back early part of next week so I'll let you know whether they've done anything or whether I will be expected to live with a discoloured screen!

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Double Dose, the stain on my screen looked just the same as yours except, I have to say, mine was smaller and top left rather than right.

Whatever, I have had the phone back this morning and the stain has now completely gone. The letter covering the returned phone merely said, "Our engineers inspected your phone and found a fault which has been repaired ..." No further details.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
hasasimo, if your comment was intended to be critical/sarcastic I have to say I do have some sympathy for it. I felt I probably was being over pernickety sending it back for repair but d****t it was a new piece of kit and everyone seems to demand perfection of me these days so why not vice versa!!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
hasasimo, if your comment was intended to be critical/sarcastic I have to say I do have some sympathy for it. I felt I probably was being over pernickety sending it back for repair but d****t it was a new piece of kit and everyone seems to demand perfection of me these days so why not vice versa!!

Not critical at all lol. Tone doesn't always translate well over the web, but if anything I was emphasizing how obvious the discoloration really is. I would definitely have sent it in as well. Hope they either repair it quickly or send you a replacement. Did you back up your files?

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Hiya15, I can't answer that one. It just appeared ... I am not v adventurous with software so I doubt it had anything to do with a new app. I can tell you I don't use my phone to play games so it definitely would not have been new game.

I have only seen reference to the problem disappearing if the phone is used in an environment with a lot of sunlight, eg as satnav in a car but that mystifies me.

No, not got a clue what caused the problem.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Not critical at all lol. Tone doesn't always translate well over the web, but if anything I was emphasizing how obvious the discoloration really is. I would definitely have sent it in as well. Hope they either repair it quickly or send you a replacement. Did you back up your files?

Thanks for the reply.

My repair was done quickly ... and, yes, I always opt to keep my files backed up so moving from one Windows Phone to another is very straightforward.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Hiya15, I can't answer that one. It just appeared ... I am not v adventurous with software so I doubt it had anything to do with a new app. I can tell you I don't use my phone to play games so it definitely would not have been new game.

I have only seen reference to the problem disappearing if the phone is used in an environment with a lot of sunlight, eg as satnav in a car but that mystifies me.

No, not got a clue what caused the problem.

Ok , thanks for the reply .It seems like LCD leak and ive had instances when it occurred or at least i noticed it right after using a heavy game . I am not sure whether Game is to blame but same happened with one of my friends after he installed Real Racing 3 on android ,that's why i was curious.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Eight months on (and, I assume, now well out of warranty) the same yellow stain has suddenly re-appeared in exactly the same place. This time I won't bother to send the phone in for repair. However it is a pity my 830 (which has been a great phone to own) has got this recurring fault and I am disappointed no-one has come up with an explanation for this weird phenomenon ... it would have been interesting to know the cause.

Anyone else got the same problem?

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Eight months on (and, I assume, now well out of warranty) the same yellow stain has suddenly re-appeared in exactly the same place. This time I won't bother to send the phone in for repair. However it is a pity my 830 (which has been a great phone to own) has got this recurring fault and I am disappointed no-one has come up with an explanation for this weird phenomenon ... it would have been interesting to know the cause.

Anyone else got the same problem?

Well, not to surrect a year+ old thread, but my L640 has encountered this same issue. Looks similar in color, but its shape is different, and it's near the volume rocker on the right side of the screen. It may have been there, very faint, for some time. Yesterday, I was outside and my phone was inside my bag, and the bag was in direct sun for a few hours. When I would take out my phone to check it, it was very noticeable. Yesterday was the first time I had noticed it. Now that my phone is back to normal operating temperatures, it's barely noticeable.. My 640 is nearing a year old. Would love to know what causes this...

My phone has been through a few drops. =-x. It also has gotten quite warm in the sun a few times..

I'll take a pic the next time I see it and have another cam ready.. (I'm not gonna heat up my phone intentionally to see if it reappears. :excited:)

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Here's my Lumia 640's yellow stain... Just like the Sony described in the article pictured, it seems to get worse when the phone is warmer. It's charging and in use in the attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20170318_110819.jpg
    IMG_20170318_110819.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb