1520.3 to a 830

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat as alot of others in that I was not extremely interested in " upgrade" to a 830. Well dropped my phone cracked my screen so time for an "upgrade". Got a 830 off of eBay for 250 because I needed something with enough balls to do a little but not to expensive because the plan is to upgrade when windows 10 phones come out. I was prepared for a down grade because the 1520.3 was a horse. Since I got the 830 I have been extremely impressed! I'm sure part of that is I was expecting a go phone but the 830 is pretty sweet. Going from a 6in screen to a 5in I thought would be difficult. For me 5in is the sweet spot. 6in is a big sob. The screen is clear and bright. Some things seem to work better then the 1520 which I'm sure is just a year newer tech ( blue tooth, etc...). My boy likes to watches videos and play Minecraft ( don't get it but he's 4) so I figured battery life would be an issue. The battery life is very good and that is being compared to a 1520 which is a power plant. He plays games for hours and it will still have juice left to spare. Basically I was looking for a stop gap phone and found an awesome phone that so far is my favorite. I think I fell into the waiting for the next great thing to come out when there is always something great coming out later. If you need a new phone, and you like WP, I wouldn't hesitate with the 830. By the way awesome camera but that's nokia😁.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You are one of many in this forum (including me!) that came to the 830 from the 1520. As great as the 1520 is, I don't think anyone has regretted the switch. I know I haven't.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've not completely switched, but I'm really prolonging my test drive of my 830 "backup" phone...

And yes, the camera is pretty great in the all-around. It shows that it really does have a Zeiss + PureView pedigree when you put it through its paces.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Good read. I also have the 1520, but ordered the 830 today. I was fearing the battery would be too weak, but after reading this I have my hopes up.

My 1520 goes to service and most likely will be sold after that. I also had the L930 year ago when I bought the 1520, I wasn't too impressed of it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I was fearing the battery would be too weak, but after reading this I have my hopes up...

I consider myself to be a light to moderate user. 1520.3 lasts me approximately 3 days sometimes just short.

830 last it more often than not, just short of 2 days. I imagine 1 day is no problem except for really heavy users.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Good read. I also have the 1520, but ordered the 830 today. I was fearing the battery would be too weak, but after reading this I have my hopes up.

My 1520 goes to service and most likely will be sold after that. I also had the L930 year ago when I bought the 1520, I wasn't too impressed of it.

In my experience gaming is the big battery drain along with weak signal. With heavy gaming and everything running (bt, wifi, etc...) 50% in 3 1/2 hrs. My 1520.3 didn't do much better and with my daily use with out my kid playing games would go 2 days pretty easy.
I had the exact same thoughts as you do that's why I posted. I was wrong. First time ever.😁 Also, was there a problem with the 930 or just not a proper fit?

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I may be one of the few that came from 1520 to 830. I cracked my 1520's screen, bought an orange 830, i liked it..but I missed my 1520. Mainly because of the screen. I didn't liked the screen of the 830 as much as I love 1520. Plus some games lag on 830..even GBA emulators have problems in 830 O_O. So to this day, I still use my 1520 as my daily driver, with the crack visible (not that big, but sometimes causes random backs and cortana search).

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just since the 930 was mentioned a couple of times, I have to say that I love the white/gold Lumia 930 I ordered for a family member. Found myself very reluctant handing it over after setting it up and playing with it for a couple of days! That thing is a beauty, and a beast! Just wish it had Glance and LTE here in the U.S. Although I could probably do without both. Probably wouldn't even notice LTE is gone considering how fast H+ is on T-Mobile.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Just since the 930 was mentioned a couple of times, I have to say that I love the white/gold Lumia 930 I ordered for a family member. Found myself very reluctant handing it over after setting it up and playing with it for a couple of days! That thing is a beauty, and a beast! Just wish it had Glance and LTE here in the U.S. Although I could probably do without both. Probably wouldn't even notice LTE is gone considering how fast H+ is on T-Mobile.

930 looks great. It drives me crazy when the phones have disable features. That is why I bought the 1520.3 rather than the att version. The 830 is all in thank god.😊

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Same boat here. My mic stopped working and found out the connector on the main board broke in pieces. Sent the 1520.3 to Palco for repairs. Who knows what else is wrong with it.

Purchased an 830 of Amazon as a stop hap as well after trying a Note 4 for 2 weeks, long story.

I like the 830. It performs great in my day to day activities.

Battery life is awesome compared to other 5" -ish phones (my Nexus 5, Moto X, wife's iPhone), but nothing like the 1520.

Gaming.... I mostly play Blitz Brigade and do notice the lag compared to the 1520. Sometimes it annoys me, sometimes I can live with it.

I bought the non-LTE version (RM-984?) on Tmobile (USA) because it was $100 cheaper. I do not know if I am regretting the decision yet.

If the 1520 comes back repaired, I don't know what Im going to do. I'm pretty torn. Part of me wishes the 1520 can't be repaired, while the other part of me wants to go back to it not because the 830 lacks but because the 1520 is that good for me.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I actually got the 1520 for free when at the Microsoft build event (developer conference) and still went with the 830. I find that it was the perfect balance of power and portability.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've written a full complete review of my time with the Lumia 830, and I concluded that it's a fantastic phone. I still use it as my daily driver. I'd love to own a 1520, but I don't regret getting an 830 instead.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I really liked the 1520. It is a beast. The thing is with the 830 I just wanted to be satisfied and ended up being impressed as hell as well as not waiting for my next devise. I found it. That is my review:) and the reason for the post. All the affordable flagship bs turned out to be true��.

ronr9286t

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd 1520 (got the itch for a Note 4 and traded in my AT&T 1520). The thing I love about the note is the digitizer and the apps that I use most often. I found that I missed Windows Phone and the 1520, so I picked up an unlocked 1520.3 from B&H Photo. I love the 1520, but while I love brilliant screen, I travel quite a bit and it is a bit tough to hold while using GPS. I was going back and forth between the Note 4 and the 1520, but then got the bug for a slightly smaller Windows phone. I picked up and unlocked 830, again from B&H.

I like the phone - screen is fine, battery easily gets me through the day, love the wireless charging (all three of my phones have that), and I think that Windows Phone is WAY BETTER than Android (and I know that it is to some degree a personal preference. I've gotten around the lack of the native Starbucks app with the Starbucks functionality on the MS Band. I specially like the PC Windows 8.1 integration.

So, I didn't really go from a 1520 to the 830, I just added the 830 to my stable. I suspect I'll be using the Note less and less.

Ron

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well it is now official. The 830 beat out 928 as my backup. Now I'm going back to 1520.3. Sorry guys, I just love my big yellow phone.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the 830 pretty seriously, to the point of keeping the following list handy:
10MP camera..
slower chip than 1520..
no hey cortana..
720p...

glance? yes
wireless charge? yes
micro SD? yes
ATT LTE? yes
unlocked? yes
ips? yes
When my 1530 spontaneously broke ("airplane mode stuck") I had to choose between a "new other" unlocked Lumia 1530 compatible with ATT LTE for $290 and the brand new Lumia 830 from B&H for $375. In the end the higher speed and the lower price is what made me pick the 1530, but if it weren't for that I would definitely have enjoyed a more compact phone. Close call!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the 830 pretty seriously, to the point of keeping the following list handy:

When my 1530 spontaneously broke ("airplane mode stuck") I had to choose between a "new other" unlocked Lumia 1530 compatible with ATT LTE for $290 and the brand new Lumia 830 from B&H for $375. In the end the higher speed and the lower price is what made me pick the 1530, but if it weren't for that I would definitely have enjoyed a more compact phone. Close call!
How did you manage to get the 1530, I am all ears....
I'm now on my umpteenth WP device and so far I'm really liking the Lumia 830.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
eBay, I was one of the 118 lucky buyers of this deal. When I bought it it was a little cheaper. It replaced a 1530 HK model which didn't have LTE, and i have to say, it's very nice to get that. Internet is just much more reliable. I do miss the 32GB of the HK model, especially since I can't figure out how to put the maps on the SD card. Anyway, that's something for another thread.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

eBay, I was one of the 118 lucky buyers of this deal. When I bought it it was a little cheaper. It replaced a 1530 HK model which didn't have LTE, and i have to say, it's very nice to get that. Internet is just much more reliable. I do miss the 32GB of the HK model, especially since I can't figure out how to put the maps on the SD card. Anyway, that's something for another thread.

I think worldspy99 is having a bit of fun with your repeating typo... There is a 1520, but no 1530 was ever released...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3