How good is the camera?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, we've heard things about "wide angle", 2.2f aperture, and Carl Zeiss lens. We've also heard that the FFC is also wide angle and is as good in low light conditions as the back cameras on many other phones.

But to me... all this stuff is a foreign language.

Anybody who is into lenses and photography want to enlighten those of us that don't really understand this stuff?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I ask is because I always thought of Nokia as this company that had awesome cameras on their phones. But from what I've read about the Lumia 800, the camera is respectable, but not spectacular by any measure.

So how does the camera on the Lumia 900 stack up? I would assume that the software is the same as the 800. So then we're left with the hardware. Is the hardware that much different?

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I ask is because I always thought of Nokia as this company that had awesome cameras on their phones. But from what I've read about the Lumia 800, the camera is respectable, but not spectacular by any measure.

So how does the camera on the Lumia 900 stack up? I would assume that the software is the same as the 800. So then we're left with the hardware. Is the hardware that much different?

Probably not. I would expect Nokia to help Microsoft to get the software right for the camera to take off.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Most reviewers thought the Focus S and Titan took better pictures than the Lumia 800, so unless the hardware or software has changed I would still expect that to be the case. The 800 has a good camera, but not a great one.

Lng0004

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Most reviewers thought the Focus S and Titan took better pictures than the Lumia 800, so unless the hardware or software has changed I would still expect that to be the case. The 800 has a good camera, but not a great one.
Yes, that seems to be the case. The 800 camera is good, for a last-gen phone. But compared to the current-gen smartphones (GS II, 4S etc), it's trailing behind.

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Probably not. I would expect Nokia to help Microsoft to get the software right for the camera to take off.

The Elop interview on The Verge he mentions specifically how they can add to the base camera features of Windows Phone when asked about how Nokia can improve the experience without fragmenting the platform.

I think we'll see some nice camera additions from Nokia.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think it will outperform the 800's camera. I think Nokia heard critics. Apparently they were displaying several photos taken with the camera and they looked better than the 800's pictures.

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why the couldn't bundle the 2 year old N86 camera module is beyond me. Nevermind the N8 camera....

Added bulk - only a small percentage of people would have a phone with an extra bulge due to the improved camera (e.g. sensor size) rather than a slim phone with a decent camera. Personally, I love my N8, and the Xenon flash + great optics is going to be hard for me to let go once the Lumia 900 comes around.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Added bulk - only a small percentage of people would have a phone with an extra bulge due to the improved camera (e.g. sensor size) rather than a slim phone with a decent camera. Personally, I love my N8, and the Xenon flash + great optics is going to be hard for me to let go once the Lumia 900 comes around.

They could rerelease the N8 running Windows Phone and change nothing else and I'd buy it. Heck, I was seriously considering buying an N8 two months ago even though I've never used Symbian before.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
"And it has the exact same innards as the Lumia 800 besides an LTE radio."

Not true. For one, we now know the display is different. Not just the size, but it's not a pentile display. The front camera is different than the one that came on the N9 (this ones backlit). And I'll have to dig up the interview, but I believe it was Elop who said the back camera was using different technology than the one that came on the 800 for them to be able to get true wide angle shots from it (it's not just software).

Anyways, point being, this isn't just an N9/800 that's been shoehorned into a bigger body. It's a different phone.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It all comes down to the camera for me. If the 900 has a better camera than the 800 and even outclasses the original Titan's camera I will probably jump. Don't see myself ditching my Titan if my camera gets a downgrade though. I'm willing to sacrifice only one thing, which would be the larger screen.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The 900 camera is the same as the 800, or so Nokia have said. It's worth mentioning that Nokia are currently working on new drivers to improve the picture quality.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The 900 camera is the same as the 800, or so Nokia have said. It's worth mentioning that Nokia are currently working on new drivers to improve the picture quality.

That's what I though too, but peestandingup seems to think otherwise. Maybe he's just peeing on us.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
That's what I though too, but peestandingup seems to think otherwise. Maybe he's just peeing on us.

Well, I can only say what I've heard and seen from all the videos/interviews from CES. A Nokia rep clearly states on one of the videos that the 900 has the same camera as the 800. I'd be interested in knowing more if anyone can say any different though. :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I've heard that the camera isn't even set yet. The demo units at CES don't have the final camera in it.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
In the Engadget Interview, Elop hinted that the camera isn't the same as the 800. He mentioned that the rear camera was tweaked for higher quality Wide angle shots and that the software for the Windows Phone camera has been tweaked also. He also mentioned the performance of the Front Facing camera during the CES presentation. Is the camera the same module; it's possible, but he clearly indicated that the quality would be improved over the 800.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3