Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

What do you think we can expect with the battery life on the Lumia 900?

The battery itself is pretty substantial. 1850mhz I think?

And as I understand it (and I could be completely wrong), two antenna don't have to be on simultaneously like they do with CDMA/LTE phones. And LTE itself isn't really much more of a battery hog than GSM. So perhaps we might be pleasantly surprised by the battery life?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    actually its 1840mah not 1850mah.. LOL!! ;)

as for the battery... its gona suck lol. im sorta sad its a LTE phone...

sure LTE does 75mb sec and the nokia supports 50MB sec.... but i dont download 2G movies on my phone so its 100% useless.... and its gona kill my battery..

i barely do 1 day as it is.

with that said im hesitant to switch to this Nokia because of battery.

people want LTE but it drains your battery faster.
    People want Duel-core but it drains your battery faster
    People want better battery but.........

you cant have it all...
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 01-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    i just hope its as good as my old iphone 3gs... which was nice as far as battery life and stby....
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    1830 mAh (not mhz)

Milliampere-hours, not megahertz. Our batteries aren't computer processors
    selfcreation likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
    i just hope its as good as my old iphone 3gs... which was nice as far as battery life and stby....
    it wont be..... Iphone 3Gs is better on battery ( AMOLED alone will kill the battery if you have allot of light colors and leave brightness on max )

Quote Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas View Post
    but the NOKIA doesnt allow you to turn off duel-band.. so its gona KILL the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post
    1830 mAh (not mhz)

LOL! and its 1840Mah not 1830 MAh ;) LOL * just playing* ;)
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post

Well then someone should get it fixed on the front page article
    http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-...unced-ces-2012
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Well then someone should get it fixed on the front page article
    http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-...unced-ces-2012
    LOL!!! thats funny. on the NOKIA blog it says 1840Mah

Nokia Lumia 900 – Born for the USA – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

1830 mAh (not mhz)

Haha.

Whoops. My bad.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Maybe they will be using the 28nm Qualcomm modem chips? Or are those scheduled for later this year?

Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
    it wont be..... Iphone 3Gs is better on battery ( AMOLED alone will kill the battery if you have allot of light colors and leave brightness on max )

but the NOKIA doesnt allow you to turn off duel-band.. so its gona KILL the battery.

Correct, Nokia (well, in truth MS) doesn't allow end users to disable dual mode operation. The OS its self handels this. When it is connected to LTE it disables the HSPA+ radio and when it can't find LTE it disables that radio. On Verizon, they couldn't do this because CDMA and LTE or totally incompatible, but LTE is an evolution of GSM, so this switching is possible. Add that to the fact that these phones are using more efficient, second gen LTE chips, and battery life won't be as bad as many are fearing.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Nokia has stated 7 hours talk time on the 900 so we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Microsoft really needs to think about adding an option on the OS for us to manually turn off LTE. There are many times throughout the day that I just dont need LTE but it will be sucking my battery down. That is the one good thing about Android phones is that the OS gives you the ability to switch LTE off. Please make this so on Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus1313 View Post
    Microsoft really needs to think about adding an option on the OS for us to manually turn off LTE. There are many times throughout the day that I just dont need LTE but it will be sucking my battery down. That is the one good thing about Android phones is that the OS gives you the ability to switch LTE off. Please make this so on Windows Phone.
    Not all, and I believe no stock device, allows you to do this. Maybe rooted/custom ROM android, however....

I know there are ways via APN settings, though that ends up being a mess, too (for AT&T it kills the LTE-only Visual Voicem.... OMG VISUAL VOICEMAIL!! It better get to WP7 now! No more excuses, AT&T!).
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    I think it would be neat if LTE automatically shuts off when the phone is asleep and then turns back on when you unlock it. Afterall, live tiles don't need LTE to push updates.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Correct, Nokia (well, in truth MS) doesn't allow end users to disable dual mode operation.
    Are you sure? The Lumia 800 allows you to turn of the 3G radio manually*, I wouldn't think that the 900 would be any different, and since there is not a production unit of the 900, I don't think we can say for sure one way or the other.

*SOURCE: Lumia 800 User Guide - page 38

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Correct, Nokia (well, in truth MS) doesn't allow end users to disable dual mode operation. The OS its self handels this. When it is connected to LTE it disables the HSPA+ radio and when it can't find LTE it disables that radio. On Verizon, they couldn't do this because CDMA and LTE or totally incompatible, but LTE is an evolution of GSM, so this switching is possible. Add that to the fact that these phones are using more efficient, second gen LTE chips, and battery life won't be as bad as many are fearing.
    I don't think it will disable the HSPA+ radio since that handles the calls for the phone. More likely it will turn on LTE when it is available. Once LTE upgrades to LTE advanced with VoLTE it will be interesting.

Will be interesting to see how WP handles battery on LTE.

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    I don't think Microsoft would just add it to add it with no off toggle if it didn't at least handle data smartly.

What if it handled LTE like wifi where its not active unless the phone is being used?

I have faith its not an android move of just throwing **** in with out optimizing things.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Two things: It's Nokia and it's not a CDMA carrier w/ LTE capabilities. Both of which will contribute to better battery life than on Verizon.

It won't be "the best", but I'm almost positive it'll be way better than Verizon's LTE. AT&T has already said that their battery life will be better and the devices will be thinner as well. The thinner parts seems to be true already, comparing it to the the GSM Galaxy Nexus vs. the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenosando View Post
    Are you sure? The Lumia 800 allows you to turn of the 3G radio manually*, I wouldn't think that the 900 would be any different, and since there is not a production unit of the 900, I don't think we can say for sure one way or the other.

*SOURCE: Lumia 800 User Guide - page 38
    All WP devices can disable data. Based on what people found on the LTE Titan II, you can still disable data, you just can't choose to disable LTE data and HSPA+ data separately. Since Nokia said they didn't want to customize Windows Phone and fracture the ecosystem, people (myself included) are assuming it will be the same situation on the 900 as the Titan II.

Quote Originally Posted by fogel35 View Post
    I don't think it will disable the HSPA+ radio since that handles the calls for the phone. More likely it will turn on LTE when it is available. Once LTE upgrades to LTE advanced with VoLTE it will be interesting.

Will be interesting to see how WP handles battery on LTE.
    I think you are probably correct.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts

hmmm,

actually LTE is not a evolution of GSM.
    GSM evolved into HSPA+

LTE is a completely new technologies.

Anolog=1g
    CDMA = 2g
    GSM = 2g/3g
    HSPA= 3G
    LTE = 4G

Most people dont know that cause carriers past HSPA as a 4G witch it is NOT!!!

also if you dont have LTE reception and only HSPA .. your LTE stay on and in CONSTANTLY SEARCHING . ( juts like a wifi or blue-tooth connection ) and that what drains the battery. and thats why it sucks that you cant manually turn off LTE.

meaning if you always have LTE your battery will last longer then being in a area that doesn't have LTE.

and considering we are starting to see second generation LTE chips it helps a little but it still worst then HSPA.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    hmmm,

GSM evolved into HSPA+

Anolog=1g
    CDMA = 2g
    GSM = 2g/3g
    HSPA= 3G
    LTE = 4G

also if you dont have LTE reception and only HSPA .. your LTE stay on and in CONSTANTLY SEARCHING . ( juts like a wifi or blue-tooth connection ) and that what drains the battery. and thats why it sucks that you cant manually turn off LTE.

meaning if you always have LTE your battery will last longer then being in a area that doesn't have LTE.

and considering we are starting to see second generation LTE chips it helps a little but it still worst then HSPA.
    Technically, LTE evolved out of the 3GPP working group (and not the 3GPP2 of CDMA), which means it is the next step from GSM, though the technology is seperate.

hmmm,
    Most people also think the current LTE networks are 4G compliant, but they are not. It is a "first draft" of the 4G network, but it is not compliant with the threshold that defines 4G networks. Thus, Sprint (Wi-Max) and T-Mobile/AT&T (HSPA) can also say they have a 4G network, although they also fall below the thresholds. There is not a 4G network currently deployed, but the great thing about the LTE network is it can be upgraded over time, much like the 3G network had an "enhanced" 3G with HSDPA (3.5G).

LTE is the closest we have, simply because the backend technology can be improved without rebuilding the network. It will then be up to the phones to support the increased speeds.

SOURCE: LTE
    jdevenberg likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    i know how it works lol . i just tried to dumb it down.

i work for a carrier ;)

Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
    hmmm,

GSM evolved into HSPA+

Anolog=1g
    CDMA = 2g
    GSM = 2g/3g
    HSPA= 3G
    LTE = 4G

Several things. First, HSPA+ can be called 4G according to the ITU (who is the governing body over that sort of thing). A quote from their official release: "...4G, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and [BOLD]to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed.[/BOLD]" The bold is what would apply to HSPA+. Second, I know that the technologies are separate, but it evolved out of HSPA in the same way that HSPA evolved out of GSM. They are all the same "school" of wireless technology. This would be opposed to the CDMA technology branch from which WiMax was born.
    Second, in a link shared earlier, it explains about the differences in passive tri-mode that AT&T LTE phone utilize vs. forced dual-mode that Verizon uses. I'm not going to rehash it here, go read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyshaw View Post
    Technically, LTE evolved out of the 3GPP working group (and not the 3GPP2 of CDMA), which means it is the next step from GSM, though the technology is seperate.
    Thank you for understanding what I meant.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast