Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What will the Contract Price Be?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • $99

    7 12.07%
  • $149

    14 24.14%
  • $199

    35 60.34%
  • Other

    2 3.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree1Likes
  1. kenosando's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
       #1  
    Elop says it will be a very aggressive price. and considering the HTC Titan and Samsung Focus S are both $199.99 (last I checked in the AT&T Store) would $149.99 be aggressive enoiugh?

    $99 would be great, and since Microsoft and Nokia are throwing a lot of money into advertising for this, it wouldn't surprise me.

    My gut says $149 ...

    What does everyone else think?
  2. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    #2  
    Some LTE devices are launching for $250. I Nokia knows they don't have the brand loyalty in the US to pull off that price point. I'm guessing it's going to be $200.
  3. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #3  
    Man, they announced all these new phones and then just left us hanging. Coming soon. **rolls eyes**
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  4. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,131 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,271 Global Posts
    #4  
    I would guess $200.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  5. Judge_Daniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    713 Posts
    #5  
    I'm going to guess iPhone5/iPhone4G $16gb price minus $50. Since we don't know either, I'm not going to give a solid number.

    Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

    My app: Plant Guide

    Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.
  6. kenosando's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Daniel View Post
    I'm going to guess iPhone5/iPhone4G $16gb price minus $50. Since we don't know either, I'm not going to give a solid number.
    Apple has kept consistent pricing with their iPhones, so I doubt a 16 GB iPhone would cost more than $199, 4G/LTE and all. They'd lose too many customers because of the myriad of smartphones for under $200 already.
  7. Judge_Daniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    713 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenosando View Post
    Apple has kept consistent pricing with their iPhones, so I doubt a 16 GB iPhone would cost more than $199, 4G/LTE and all. They'd lose too many customers because of the myriad of smartphones for under $200 already.
    Then I'll guess $150. :)

    Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

    My app: Plant Guide

    Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.
  8. sr!
    sr! is offline
    sr!'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #8  
    in an interview with Joshua Topolsky, Elop said it (the price point) would be appealing even to first time smartphone buyers. If 710 is released for that market segment at $49, then i wouldnt think 199 would be the target price for 900 if it has to be appealing to entry market as well. So it has to be either 99 or 149. I would go with 149.
  9. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #9  
    As long as AT&T doesn't ask me to cough up another $10/month for the privilege of using their 4G network, which I don't care about, I am ok with anything below $250 for the 900

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  10. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,331 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,410 Global Posts
    #10  
    I am thinking 199.00 but it would nice to be 149.00 to me really aggressive would be 99.00
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
  11. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,527 Global Posts
    #11  
    I think it will be $149 most likely. I think Nokia realizes that as a brand that doesn't have a huge loyalty in the US using a platform that is not popular in the US selling a phone that looks underspec'd on paper compared to high end phones on other OS's, that they need to price themselves below the other "superphones" to be noticed. Although, if he really said that it would be appealing to first time smartphone buyers, $99 isn't out of the question. $200 may also be considered to make the phone seem more "premium". But my official guess is $149.
  12. kenosando's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
       #12  
    $199 wouldn't be out of the question, because how many people's first smartphone was an iPhone? $199 price tag, plus at that time, there was only one data option, $30/month. Engadget kept up with costs of phones over contract periods vs. non-contracts, and the cost of owning an iPhone was really high because of the required data and messaging packages. If I find that article I will come back to post.

    The cost of the iPhone has stayed the same over 5 years and even if they announce an LTE capable iPhone, they will likely not bump the price up.

    UPDATE: Original article from Engadget on cost of owning iPhone v. others (circa 2007 rates of course): http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/h...in-total-cost/
  13. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenosando View Post
    $199 wouldn't be out of the question, because how many people's first smartphone was an iPhone? $199 price tag, plus at that time, there was only one data option, $30/month. Engadget kept up with costs of phones over contract periods vs. non-contracts, and the cost of owning an iPhone was really high because of the required data and messaging packages. If I find that article I will come back to post.

    The cost of the iPhone has stayed the same over 5 years and even if they announce an LTE capable iPhone, they will likely not bump the price up.

    UPDATE: Original article from Engadget on cost of owning iPhone v. others (circa 2007 rates of course): How does the iPhone stack up in total cost? -- Engadget
    They never updated that article... the reduced the price of the original iPhone by $200 for each model (4gb/8gb), which would make the BlackBerry Curve the more expensive model at the time. $100 rebate to those who had already purchased and were out of their 30 days, which would still make the Curve and Pearl the more expensive options.

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  14. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    #14  
    $99-$149. That's my guess if the aggressive price points are to be believed. If they meant aggressive in regards to LTE devices, then I expect a $200-$249 price point.

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  15. WayCool's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenosando View Post
    Elop says it will be a very aggressive price. and considering the HTC Titan and Samsung Focus S are both $199.99 (last I checked in the AT&T Store) would $149.99 be aggressive enoiugh?

    $99 would be great, and since Microsoft and Nokia are throwing a lot of money into advertising for this, it wouldn't surprise me.

    My gut says $149 ...

    What does everyone else think?
    Will be $99 or LESS !
  16. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    #16  
    If this phone gets the big marketing push, and ends up just being $99 with contract, then I predict major shortages for the first month or so. It's going to sell like hotcakes.
  17. panchi2131's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #17  
    should be 199$ at the starting ,with discounts from various websites like amazon etc. making them available for 149$ within first week .
    trandz likes this.
  18. Chris Coyle's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    As long as AT&T doesn't ask me to cough up another $10/month for the privilege of using their 4G network, which I don't care about, I am ok with anything below $250 for the 900

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    How much is AT&T charging now for LTE ?
  19. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,527 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coyle View Post
    How much is AT&T charging now for LTE ?
    They aren't charging extra. You pay a standard data plan and it gives you acces to whatever networks your phone can connect to.

    And although the Skyrocket did launch at $249, the rest of their lte phones launched at 199 and even the skyrocket is 199 now. So I don't think the 900 will be 249. That would not be aggresive
  20. jeremyshaw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    602 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #20  
    Online, (and the first day in store), the Vivid launched at 100usd :D So good chance the phones will not be too pricey.
  21. trandz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #21  
    It'll be 200$. Be real for a second, why would it be 150$ or even 100$? Its a flagship WP that AT&T has secured exclusivity for with Nokia being one of the biggest manufacturers for WP. The phone is getting champ status, so why would they price a world leading WP for the price of an entry level device. If anything Amazon and wirefly will sell it for 150$ but in store it will be 200$ on contract, 550-600$ without.
  22. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,527 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by trandz View Post
    It'll be 200$. Be real for a second, why would it be 150$ or even 100$? Its a flagship WP that AT&T has secured exclusivity for with Nokia being one of the biggest manufacturers for WP. The phone is getting champ status, so why would they price a world leading WP for the price of an entry level device. If anything Amazon and wirefly will sell it for 150$ but in store it will be 200$ on contract, 550-600$ without.
    Um... In order to sell more of them? Most of the speculation about price is based on Nokia CEO Elop saying that the pricing would be aggressive. $199 is competitive, but not aggressive. Aggressive has lead people to believe that, in an attempt to sell more device, it will be priced lower. Also he said it would be an attractive price to first time smart phone shoppers, people who are generally used to getting cheap/free phones. $200 is generally not appealing to them.
  23. kenosando's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
       #23  
    The last two smartphones Nokia released in the U.S. (The Lumia 710 and the Astound [C7], both T-Mobile) were less than $100 ($49.99 and $79.99 respectively). The last AT&T smartphone they released what the E71x, which ran for $149.99. $200 would be the highest price they could afford without making people look over at the Titan, Focus S, or even iPhone 4S or GSII Skyrocket HD, which are the same price. They will almost have to aim for the $149 mark simply because the competition (GS II Skyrocket, LG Nitro) are all $200, while the HTC Vivid is now $99.
    There will be loyalists, like myself, who will buy it whether it is $149 or $249, but people looking for an upgrade to a faster device will likely be lured into the sub-$200 price range on the Android LTE offerings before they drop $250 + tax on a Nokia.
  24. GazooAz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    #24  
    My guess Lumia 710 $49.00 Lumia 800 $99.00 Lumia 900 149.00

    That is if it goes to T-Mobile.
  25. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    #25  
    I keep going back and forth between $199 and $149.

    Mainly because, while Nokia says they will be aggressive with pricing, that doesn't mean that carriers will be.

    And if the Lumia 900 is fairly cheap for an off-contract handset, the on-contract discounted price is something that's up to the carrier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions