AT&T?s Q1 2012 roadmap: Nokia Lumia 900 to launch March 18th for $99.99

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the concept of budget, Mid Tear and Halo devices does'nt really fit well when it comes to windows phone. Companies do that because it makes people comfortable with paying more or less for a product. Windows Phone from a hardware perspective is more like an iPhone, as in one device, not 50 different iterations. When you look at the Spec sheet Microsoft releases for windows phone, most of the specs fit what we would consider to be a mid tear device. I think Microsoft knows a spec war with Android is a waste of money for Manufactures because the volume sales arent there for high end phones. I think they looked at apple and said thats the model we want but we need to sell it like windows. Camera and Screen Tech are the only real differences between any windows phone device. That means the experience is going to basically be the same across all price points, which is pretty compelling for the cheap and tech elitist alike. Short of the camera, the 710, 800 and 900 are the same device. Yes one uses LCD and the other OLED with some tint applied but short of the shell they're the same device. We tech eletist dont like that thought :straight:. It means grandma has a device as good as yours even if she only knows how to text and make calls :mad:. People are worried that the $99 price point :confused: will cause people to think that the Lumia 900 isn't a premium device as if the price determines whats top shelf and whats not. It's all really just marketing brainwashing. I've used a Titan, Samsung Focus S and a Lumia 710. Regardless of what all these circus reviews say, the experience was 95% the same. Some had better EQ settings, some had better viewing in the sunlight and some had a better camera, but the day to day experience using the devices were all the same. This is what Microsoft wants. Instead of BMWs and Kias, they wanted to build a Honda Accord. Everyone is basically comfortable with a Honda Accord. Call it what you want, but based on the experience, they've succeded whether you pay $49 or $199 dolloars. Over time manufacturers will discover it's financially effective to sell Honda accords in 10 colors than to sell a Kia, Accord and a BMW in my oppinion. Or to just try and sell a Toyota Camry with a Lexus badge (iPhone). These are just my thoughts, but if you can transition your mind away from the "I'm unique because I have an "S" attached to the end of my phones name mentality," to the I just want to be able to do cool things and interact with my frineds in exiting ways without worrying about who cant recieve this picture without running out of memory or pentile fuzzy logic, you'll feel a strange liberation from the spec wars and view these devices in a very different light. You can get the 900, give the wife the 800 (magenta) and slide the kid the 710 and guess what; You could all trade phones and experience no real difference short of the network speeds. Manufacturers love this. They get the same quality across the board but get to slap shiny expensive/cheap stickers on them to make everyone happy. ;) Now who can tell me why what I've just written is just plain wrong? This I've got hear.

Last edited:

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Short of the camera, the 710, 800 and 900 are the same device. Yes one uses LCD and the other OLED with some tint applied but short of the shell they're the same device.
Lumia comparison of features

While there are some similarities, such as RAM, and CPU speed, there are quite a few differences. The screen on the 710 actually has a higher color depth than the 800, although the 800 is a higher contrast screen, and perhaps that is due to the pentile matrix subpixel arrangement that the color depth (16) is less than that of the 900 (24).

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the concept of budget, Mid Tear and Halo devices does'nt really fit well when it comes to windows phone. *snip* They get the same quality across the board but get to slap shiny expensive/cheap stickers on them to make everyone happy. ;) Now who can tell me why what I've just written is just plain wrong? This I've got hear.

Yes. The general OS experience is the same.

But I think you're putting too little weight to the hardware differences. Let's look at Nokia for example. Compare the 800 and 900.

LTE
better camera
better display tech
bigger screen size

Each one of those is something that people are willing to pay extra for. It does differentiate the product.

I have a Samsung Focus and an HTC Titan. While the general OS experience is the same, I much prefer the Titan. I prefer it by a wide margin. And that's not to say anything negative about the Focus. I just really like the Titan significantly more. The huge screen and better camera do put it in a different class.

When driving a Honda Accord or a BMW, 90% of the driving experience is the same. But many people would pay extra for the BMW.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
When driving a Honda Accord or a BMW, 90% of the driving experience is the same. But many people would pay extra for the BMW.

Lol is it really? I thought the BMW was supposed to be a driver's car being RWD, having good handling, good steering feel, etc.?

The other part I think is true though, many people pay for the badge.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Lol is it really? I thought the BMW was supposed to be a driver's car being RWD, having good handling, good steering feel, etc.?

The other part I think is true though, many people pay for the badge.

When you're driving 40 mph on side roads and 65 mph in mostly a straight line on freeways, there isn't much difference.

Honda suspensions tend to be pretty tight. Same with BMW. And in normal driving, there isn't that much difference to your experience. Will you feel a little difference because of the FWD compared to RWD? Yeah. But not that much. The "experience" is still pretty much the same. You're driving to your destination.

But would I rather have the BMW? **** yes. Just for that 10%.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
When you're driving 40 mph on side roads and 65 mph in mostly a straight line on freeways, there isn't much difference.

Honda suspensions tend to be pretty tight. Same with BMW. And in normal driving, there isn't that much difference to your experience. Will you feel a little difference because of the FWD compared to RWD? Yeah. But not that much. The "experience" is still pretty much the same. You're driving to your destination.

But would I rather have the BMW? **** yes. Just for that 10%.

Badges, we don't need no stinking badges :lol:

The only problem with this comparison is that from a tech perspective, WP isn't today what even Nokia would describe as a BMW. They've clearly stated that Apollo is when you'll see some drool worth tech. For sales there are variances that seperate the Lumia line, but if we really put aside the inate desire to feel like we have something uniquely special in the 900, is there really enough of a difference between the 710 and 900 to charge $199 like most of us expected. I think nokia selected the $99 price tag to move volume, however, i also think they chose the $99 price point because in their road map, the 900 really is a mid tear phone that isn't really worthy of the HALO device status. Its the phone thats supposed to be everywhere, but not the phone at the top of their Engineering bin. Even the Design chief mentioned that the Lumia Line at the end of 2012 will feature a higher spec screen, NFC, wireless charging and perhaps, no ports at all if he had his way(this wont happen any time soon).

I think the 900 is perfect at $99 and considered an accord. From a mindshare stadpoint the fact that it's pretty is the best approach nokia could take. the 900 to me is like the XBox 360. Tech wise, it's sufficient, but not great. However, it's got everything you need to build an ecosystem arround it. It's pretty, it's got a cool factor and it's cheep.

wilco9

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
i'm eligible for upgrade on April 25th, but I really want lumia 900 and I heard people say that ATT would allow you to upgrade a little earlier, is that true? anybody knows about this? I want to grab one Lumia 900 right after it's released, which apparently is gonna be March 18th.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPcentral Wilco9. I guess a month won't kill them, there's a good chance they will negotiate that.

If I was you I'll wait, since you will now what kind of bugs the phone has and maybe even get a better price :D.

wilco9

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPcentral Wilco9. I guess a month won't kill them, there's a good chance they will negotiate that.

If I was you I'll wait, since you will now what kind of bugs the phone has and maybe even get a better price :D.

thanks! i'm just afraid it'll be sold out pretty soon after release, like some people have suggested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster