Pre-Order vs. In-Store - which is better?

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Is there any historical indication which should be the faster path to a new Lumia 900? Also, are there advantages to either process, such as no/lower activation fee or promos only available in one of the two?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
instore is fasest because you are at the store. Online you may deal with shipping delays.

Considering there will be no lines for this phone, you want it now, go to the store.

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I think you get hit with the activation charge regardless of the route. I have had three iPhones until now, all activated in apple stores, but had to pay 30 some dollars.

I think the fastest option to get the phone would be to walk into a store. Having said that, I have preordered mine at MS store. So I guess I will be one of the first to get my hands on a retail /post release units (provided I'm in town on the 8th).
If I'm in town, i will be at the mall even before the mall opens.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I think you get hit with the activation charge regardless of the route. I have had three iPhones until now, all activated in apple stores, but had to pay 30 some dollars.

I think the fastest option to get the phone would be to walk into a store. Having said that, I have preordered mine at MS store. So I guess I will be one of the first to get my hands on a retail /post release units (provided I'm in town on the 8th).
If I'm in town, i will be at the mall even before the mall opens.

Ha, my plan exactly. I'm going to be at the MS Store at the Houston Galleria mall bright and early on the 8th... probably right after church :)

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
OK folks here is the info I got from ATT today when i visited a store. If you preordered with AT&T, your phone will be shipped out on the 6th and not on 8th. This is done so you can have the device on the 8th - the day the phone is available in stores for pickup.
So worry no more, your device will be in your hands on the 8th regardless.

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Why would you pre-order a device you've never seen...? As others have said, it's not like they're going to have a problem with stock...

ovrkast

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
OK folks here is the info I got from ATT today when i visited a store. If you preordered with AT&T, your phone will be shipped out on the 6th and not on 8th. This is done so you can have the device on the 8th - the day the phone is available in stores for pickup.
So worry no more, your device will be in your hands on the 8th regardless.
But unfortunately, none of the AT&T stores (not even corporate stores) where I reside will be open on Easter Sunday. So, if the phone ships on Friday the 6th then that means I may get lucky and receive it on Saturday the 7th (not likely) or on Monday the 9th. Do pre-orders have to be picked up in-store or will it be delivered to your residence?

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But unfortunately, none of the AT&T stores (not even corporate stores) where I reside will be open on Easter Sunday. So, if the phone ships on Friday the 6th then that means I may get lucky and receive it on Saturday the 7th (not likely) or on Monday the 9th. Do pre-orders have to be picked up in-store or will it be delivered to your residence?

All pre-orders will be shipped out, you cannot pick them up in the store. If you pre-order by April 5th 3PM CDT, you should get your device on the 6th. To be safe, order it well before then, because if there are a large number of pre-orders, I wouldn't bet on pre-ordering the day before to get the device the next day, or Saturday. I plan on pre-ordering, although I would like to see the cyan 900 before I buy it, so I am still torn.

Source: AT&T online representative

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Device I've Never Seen

Why would you pre-order a device you've never seen...? As others have said, it's not like they're going to have a problem with stock...

Pretty simple. I'm still on a feature phone, and I've been waiting for the Lumia 900 since August of last year (first rumors of upcoming Nokia announcement). If it was a complete disappointment, I could always switch to another current Windows Phone within 30 days.

giodelgado

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same question, I already preordered mine at the Microsoft Store for pickup, I called and they're going to be open on Easter Sunday but they are clueless about the release date =/

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering from a friend who works at an AT&T Corporate store tomorrow (hey, he has to feed his kids). Trying to convince him to let me pick up a 900 on Saturday night, as they will be closed Sunday. With all this chatter about online deliveries arriving prior to the 8th, think I will convince him (and his Manager).

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Darth Lumia

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering from a friend who works at an AT&T Corporate store tomorrow (hey, he has to feed his kids). Trying to convince him to let me pick up a 900 on Saturday night, as they will be closed Sunday. With all this chatter about online deliveries arriving prior to the 8th, think I will convince him (and his Manager).

I called 3 diffrent stores in SoCAl and they are opening on Easter Sunday.... do diffrent states have diffrent procedures? I would think that all corporate stores do follow the same schedule.

giodelgado

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

ok so what are the pros and cons about preordering with (AT&T online) vs Microsoft Store preorders?

people are saying AT&T online preorders will get shipped on Sat 7th, Microsoft Store employees don't even know the launch date or colors available but are taking preorders again, I called my local MS store and they are going to be open April 8th (don't even trust the guy who told me they were going to be open).

Any more info???

giodelgado

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I called 3 diffrent stores in SoCAl and they are opening on Easter Sunday.... do diffrent states have diffrent procedures? I would think that all corporate stores do follow the same schedule.

cool, then they're going to be open, I verified this also by trying to schedule an appointment, date is available =)

San Diego (Fashion Valley mall)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills