Sim to Microsim???

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question for the folks that may already know or could direct me into how to go about doing this. Once I get my hands on the new Lumia 900, going from my Omnia 7, I've been seeing reports that the 900 does use a microsim, which as you already guessed, the Omnia 7 uses a SIM. Will I have to go into AT&T to get all my data switched over to a microsim or is there away of "triming" so to speak myself? I do use a prepaid plan, I have no plans on getting another contract until Apollo comes out later this year. Any help or info is really greatly appreciated!

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
You can go to the store and ask for a microsim to the representative and he will kindly set up your number into the microsim. I did this with my Nokia Lumia 800. And yes i am using a prepaid plan as well, so you should not have any problem. Hope it helps

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
anybody have experience getting a microsim from ATT store? How much it would cost? Im sure they will try to rip us off....

I dont plan on cutting my sim, so i would like to obtain one.

Any help is appreicated.

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
anybody have experience getting a microsim from ATT store? How much it would cost? Im sure they will try to rip us off....

I dont plan on cutting my sim, so i would like to obtain one.

Any help is appreicated.

If you're one of their customers they'll give you one free. When I went back to my iPhone 4 I just asked to have a micro sim activated and they did it no problem.

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If you go to att to get a new sim they are going to change your imei. Every time I do that they prorate my bill and I get overcharged. I have cut over 5 sims with a sim cutter and without and it works fine for me. If you screw it up or it doesn't work then go get one at the store.

iViz

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
We don't charge you for Micro SIMs as long as its a COR store. ON prepaid you cannot get pro-rated charges because its prepaid.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Make sure you go to a corporate store for SIM changes on phones. I don't want anyone getting charged 30 bucks if you can avoid it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses. So I can go right to the store and ask for a MicroSim and still keep my old SIM as well to still have as a backup, just to play around with my Omnia 7 or any other device I may want to hack around with? Or heaven forbid something happens to my new baby(Lumia 900) and I have to use the Omnia 7 again, will the old SIM still be good to use?

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You cannot reuse a SIM once it's been activated and the account has been terminated or the account transferred to another SIM. Think of it as a CD-R.

Do not, under any circumstances, let them use a "GoPhone" branded SIM card. I don't know if ATT offers them officially, or if employees cut them...but I see them on ebay and using one will lock that SIM to that phone for 6 or 8 months.

My local corporate store doesn't like giving postpaid SIM cards away to prepaid users. I'm a DIY'er, so I'd buy an $8 cutter off Amazon and a handful of big SIMs for $5 off ebay (or a couple mSIMs for under $10) instead of going into the store. Plus I feel bad for wasting their time as they won't be receiving any commission from me.

You can swap SIMs online...at least theoretically. I've not had the occasion to try yet.

Hope that gets you on your way ;)

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You cannot reuse a SIM once it's been activated and the account has been terminated or the account transferred to another SIM. Think of it as a CD-R.

Do not, under any circumstances, let them use a "GoPhone" branded SIM card. I don't know if ATT offers them officially, or if employees cut them...but I see them on ebay and using one will lock that SIM to that phone for 6 or 8 months.

My local corporate store doesn't like giving postpaid SIM cards away to prepaid users. I'm a DIY'er, so I'd buy an $8 cutter off Amazon and a handful of big SIMs for $5 off ebay (or a couple mSIMs for under $10) instead of going into the store. Plus I feel bad for wasting their time as they won't be receiving any commission from me.

You can swap SIMs online...at least theoretically. I've not had the occasion to try yet.

Hope that gets you on your way ;)
Ok, so you're saying once I go down to a microSIM, I will pretty much never be able to use my Omnia 7 anymore, cause I will have to either (a) cut the current SIM or (b) get a new microSIM, that will not allow me to use in non-microSIM phones anymore. Or, are you saying I can just buy a bunch of big SIMs and a couple of mSIMs to go back & forth, if I have to for any reason??
Thanks for the info so far!

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I just found my answer. If I get the Noosy cutter, it does come with a SIM adapter, so when I need to use it in devices that calls for a regular SIM, use the adapter. Thanks for all the info!

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
This thread is confusing to me. I found the thread in my quest to figure out if the GoPhone plans work with the Lumia 900.

I currently do not have a GoPhone. I plan on purchasing the Lumia 900 off contract, get a cheap or free GoPhone and swap the SIM into the Lumia 900. Any issues with this?? How do I go about doing this? Are all GoPhone's packed with standard SIM's?

Thanks for any input!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa