What can it do on Wifi?

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to ride out my T-Mobile contract with my Blackberry 9900 and have a while to go.

Ok, call me crazy, but if I buy a 900 for $450.. what can I do with it on wifi if I don't get phone service? My Blackberry can be a hotspot now so I can give it wifi when mobile and I have wifi at home and at work.

Can I run Nokia Drive with wifi? I know I can pre-download the maps, but not sure what it needs to process navigation.
Other apps? (Facebook, e-mail, etc?)

I rarely talk on the phone so this might be an option for me.

Thanks for any insight from an experienced WP7 user. Trying to save a few bucks before Apollo phones come out.

-m

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I am not sure. I wouldn't see why you couldn't do a lot of things, besides making calls. GPS, however, does use cellular towers to assist with location tracking, and if there was a way that either WP7 automatically cuts it off or you have the option to manually cut it off (my Nokia N8 gives me all the positioning methods and which ones to use) then you would be set.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just about everything. No calls obviously, and no text messaging (but there are other data type solutions). Of course, you do have to be wirelessly tethered to a WiFi connection, so no music streaming while driving for example. And your apps won't get updated in the background (actually they will-only every two hours). Otherwise, everything else should be fine. I have data data and WiFi on 24/7. WiFi consumes about 80-90% of my monthly data usage.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use a wp7 as a wifi only device. Its more like a phone first multi media second. Android or iOS would be my choice for an internet device.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I do exactly that with my Lumia 800. I have a Focus S on internet sharing and I use my Lumia 800 as my GPS and Zune player I even use smart DJ sometimes to stream music through the Internet sharing data connection. Everything works fine you can't make phone calls and no text massages without adding some apps but everything else works fine.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Cool thanks.

I did end up doing the Smoked by Windows Phone so I'll be getting a 710 on Tmobile so I can also swap SIM cards.

Maybe when the 900/910 comes to Tmobile I'll get on that.... some day.

-m

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99