Will the Lumia 900 work with WP8?

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm at a point where I believe most WP users are at.. I have the option of upgrading my Samsung Focus to a Lumia 900 once it is released... But the biggest question is will it work when WP8 is released and is it worth getting the 900 over the next gen WP8 phones that are rumored to be dual core?

I've had a Lumia 710 to play with for the past month, and I really like the Nokia phones so I am excited to have the chance to get a Lumia 900.. but if I get the Lumia 900 now and then in 5 months time WP8 (apollo) comes out will I be left in the dark with a slow and redundant phone which I will be stuck with for the next 2-3 yrs on contract???

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't expect to necessarily be believed, but I have spoken with some neighbors who work for Microsoft, and was told that "nothing is known about Apollo" and the "leak" isn't really a leak at all. Additionally, there is supposedly no chance that Apollo will be out in 2012 or even the first half of 2013.

I have ZERO ways to verify this, but I would recommend that you take the rumors of Apollo's imminent release with a very large grain of salt. After all, there were, what, 3-4 different release dates "leaked" for the Lumia 900, but only the last one was actually true?

More importantly, I'd pay attention to what MS has said or NOT said regarding Apollo. The tech blogosphere has a tendency to exaggerate the importance of certain types of leaks, particularly about release dates. MS has verified, to my knowledge, NOTHING about Apollo, and in fact, the only response they gave about the big leak was that it was aspirational--a "wish list" of features.

MAYBE it's all 100% true and we will see Apollo this year--but if that's true, what exactly do you think people would do if Apollo comes out and isn't compatible with any older devices, PARTICULARLY this new flagship Nokia phone. In some ways, it would be suicide to release Apollo this year and NOT make it backwards compatible.

Thus, logically, Apollo is either coming out this year and WILL be compatible with phones like the Lumia 900 OR it is not coming out anytime soon. You pick. I have already ordered my Lumia 900, however.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia already stated that Apollo is coming to the lumia

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Doesnt answer the question, Nokia said that a Lumia phone will have Apollo which can be interpreted as a new Lumia model spec'd and made for Apollo.

Doesnt say that Apollo will be coming to existing Lumia models.

With that said, there are no confirmed statements from MS or anybody about current phones being upgradable to Apollo. Only speculation, the people that are saying that IT WILL knows no more than we do at this point.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesnt answer the question, Nokia said that a Lumia phone will have Apollo which can be interpreted as a new Lumia model spec'd and made for Apollo.

Doesnt say that Apollo will be coming to existing Lumia models.

With that said, there are no confirmed statements from MS or anybody about current phones being upgradable to Apollo. Only speculation, the people that are saying that IT WILL knows no more than we do at this point.

No Nokia said the 900 on the Nokia connect website in a live chat so if you did not read it or see it don't speculate

ovrkast

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I too was in the same boat as you. I have the Samsung Focus and just pre-ordered my Lumia 900. In reality, if you continue to wait for the next best thing to come out, then you'll continue waiting to make the next move. When Apollo comes out, I'm sure Microsoft will announce the next flavor of their OS maybe a few months down the road and leaving you to salivate on getting that new OS or device. My stance is get what you want now as the progression of getting something new will eventually make it's way to your door :happy:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
No Nokia said the 900 on the Nokia connect website in a live chat so if you did not read it or see it don't speculate

If this was true, surely you could find an article reporting it. Safe to say you would not be able to because there have been articles over the past few weeks questioning if upgrades to current devices including the release of 900 would get the updates.

No confirmation has been made and MS themselves dodged the question and said only the app will be compatible.

Article posted today:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/03/will-the-nokia-lumia-900-be-eligible-for-windows-phone-8/

Again, at this point, nobody knows, but there are articles questioning it and reps from MS and Nokia not confirming it. If it was official or if somebody from nokia actually said it, you shoudn't have an issue finding an article confirming that, but in reality, you or I would probably not find one.

Edit: From a Nokia Q and A

http://nokiaconnects.com/2012/03/13/nokia-lumia-900-your-questions-answered/

Q: Does the Lumia 900 support the upcoming major Apollo update?

A: We cannot comment on unannounced platform releases, but regarding Lumia 900 updates, we are committed to delivering the best user experience which includes in-market support with updates and features throughout the life of the product.

Doesnt say yes or no.

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
If this was true, surely you could find an article reporting it. Safe to say you would not be able to because there have been articles over the past few weeks questioning if upgrades to current devices including the release of 900 would get the updates.

No confirmation has been made and MS themselves dodged the question and said only the app will be compatible.

How about you go to the website I said and look for the q and a. I have nothing to prove to you. I know what I read

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
How about you go to the website I said and look for the q and a. I have nothing to prove to you. I know what I read

See my edit. Bit of a stretch to think that says YES to apollo updates. You are right, you dont have nothing to prove to me, but you couldn't anyway.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
See my edit. Bit of a stretch to think that says YES to apollo updates. You are right, you dont have nothing to prove to me, but you couldn't anyway.

Do you honestly think that at&ts hero phone will not receive Apollo as one of those updates ? Not only will at&t loose money and face but that will end nokias return into the US before it started. Its just common business practice man. Cmon

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you honestly think that at&ts hero phone will not receive Apollo as one of those updates ? Not only will at&t loose money and face but that will end nokias return into the US before it started. Its just common business practice man. Cmon

Now you are speculating based on what you want to happen and think what makes business sense.

Again, speculating, nothing factual, it all makes sense to upgrade to Apollo, but as I have been saying, nobody knows. Can they upgrade to Apollo? possibly, but can they not? That is possible as well. The point is, nobody knows, nobody has confirmed, and it is not safe to say that it will at this point in time.

Did it make business sense for MS to kill all support for the original xbox right after the 360 came out? Nobody thought it made sense, but the XBox did what it could in terms of market share and decided to cut off support for the platform to focus on developing for the 360. The only thing they did for the original xbox was to keep live up but no maintenance or updates at that point. Sony on the other hand supported and developed games for the ps2 to meet their 10 year life cycle and beyond.

This situation is a little different as we are dealing with different manufactures, but just because it makes sense doesnt mean it will happen.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm about 85% it will be upgradeable. It'd be a damn shame if it wasn't, piss a lot of people off.

I agree and I believe its higher than 85% windows phone can not allow its flagship line to falter. Nokia is MS main hardware company its a partnership to make MS succeed

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Now you are speculating based on what you want to happen and think what makes business sense.

Again, speculating, nothing factual, it all makes sense to upgrade to Apollo, but as I have been saying, nobody knows. Can they upgrade to Apollo? possibly, but can they not? That is possible as well. The point is, nobody knows, nobody has confirmed, and it is not safe to say that it will at this point in time.

Did it make business sense for MS to kill all support for the original xbox right after the 360 came out? Nobody thought it made sense, but the XBox did what it could in terms of market share and decided to cut off support for the platform to focus on developing for the 360. The only thing they did for the original xbox was to keep live up but no maintenance or updates at that point. Sony on the other hand supported and developed games for the ps2 to meet their 10 year life cycle and beyond.

This situation is a little different as we are dealing with different manufactures, but just because it makes sense doesnt mean it will happen.

Nokia and MS strategic alliance would be wasted and dead on arrival if they don't

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a samsung Galaxy s2 came from verizon were I had an HTC trophy for a short period then got a d3 and finally the galaxy nexus. The trophy showed me how great wp really is just the fact that it was as fluid and more enjoyable to use than my d3 says a lot.. But the nexus got me used to high resolution screens and how great they look. Now I'm in between a rock and a hard place do I say screw it and get this phone though I love the hardware just wish for a higher req screen or wait for nokia to release another phone later this year with a higher resolution screen and possibly a snapdragon s4 chip.

The screen Res isn't that big of a deal it looks amazing

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
The screen Res isn't that big of a deal it looks amazing

My bad posted in the wrong thread bit thanks for the answer I will probably call att to see what I can do. I don't want to leave android behind with my 3 years invested into it but I see android going the way of the old windows mobile quickly. And I can bet that this phone will get mango now ask me if my gs2 will get jellybean or whatever the next update is and I would have to say no. And that's one of my main reasons for switching its alot easier to update phones when they conform to some type of basic standard. Choice is great but sometimes the negatives outway the positives

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)