There is no "lag"

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Way i see it is some like it fast, some slower.
The right way to do it is to have an option for it.
Set scroll speed FTW!

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I respect your opinion, but for me personally, the slow scroll speed is absolutely a deal breaker. My Arrive smoked the 900 I played with. I would probably get used to the slower speed after a while, but I think I'll wait for Apollo phones now. I do hope the 900 sells like gangbusters...after all, we're all the same team here

Agree 100%.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It's nice to see someone setting the record straight on this.

Now, I wish Nokia would hurry up and bring this device to the UK and Europe! :)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
@Mochi the Arrive may be a different story, but I know for a fact that this is the case on the HD7(S). Also, I still bet a Samsung handset would "smoke" your Arrive.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
@Mochi the Arrive may be a different story, but I know for a fact that this is the case on the HD7(S). Also, I still bet a Samsung handset would "smoke" your Arrive.

And your point is what? That the Arrive and Samsung phones are faster than the Lumia 900? And that users of those devices are used to a certain level of responsiveness and don't want to step back to a slower device on a platform that constantly advertises how quick it is?

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
And your point is what? That the Arrive and Samsung phones are faster than the Lumia 900? And that users of those devices are used to a certain level of responsiveness and don't want to step back to a slower device on a platform that constantly advertises how quick it is?

one is not SLOWER than the other. Don't go around using that term as it will only mislead the people. Nokia uses a different feature. My HTC Titan and my HD7 before that were the same as the Lumia 900.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know performance was measured in how "fast" you could scroll from the top to the bottom of a list of icons or posts. (Hate when reviewers do that mindless up/down flicking.) I thought it was measured in how "quickly" you could find something while scrolling.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know performance was measured in how "fast" you could scroll from the top to the bottom of a list of icons or posts. (Hate when reviewers do that mindless up/down flicking.) I thought it was measured in how "quickly" you could find something while scrolling.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

You are correct and the scrolling is nice. It classy and almost feels tactile.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
one is not SLOWER than the other. Don't go around using that term as it will only mislead the people. Nokia uses a different feature. My HTC Titan and my HD7 before that were the same as the Lumia 900.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

I think I'll go back and compare the 900 to the Titan that's on display in the AT&T store and I'll report back to this thread. In the past when I've played with the Titan, the experience closely mirrored the experience of my Arrive. No noticeable difference. The experience on the 900 was very noticeably different.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
@PhilR8 still isn't getting it. I don't know how much more clear I can make it. Let me try to explain it using this hypothetical example:

If you take take your finger and place it at the bottom of a Samsung handset, and you swipe your finger up and release your finger at 10mph, the screen will scroll down at a speed of 7mph.

If you take take your finger and place it at the bottom of a Nokia/HTC handset, and you swipe your finger up and release your finger at 10mph, the screen will scroll down at a speed of 4mph.

This is how it was designed by each respective manufacturer.

What's the same among all manufacturers is this:

If you place your finger on the screen, and move your finger up and down at a speed of 10mph and do not remove your finger, the screen will scroll up and down at a speed of 10mph. If this was not the case, and only the 900 did not stay at 10mph in this case, this would be lag.

Last edited:

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I get it: it's a feature, not a bug.

@PhilR8 still isn't getting it. I don't know how much more clear I can make it. Let me try to explain it using this hypothetical example:

If you take take your finger and place it at the bottom of a Samsung handset, and you swipe your finger up and release your finger at 10mph, the screen will scroll down at a speed of 7mph.

If you take take your finger and place it at the bottom of a Nokia/HTC handset, and you swipe your finger up and release your finger at 10mph, the screen will scroll down at a speed of 4mph.

This is how it was designed by each respective manufacturer.

What's the same among all manufacturers is this:

If you place your finger on the screen, and move your finger up and down at a speed of 10mph and do not remove your finger, the screen will scroll up and down at a speed of 10mph. If this was not the case, and only the 900 did not stay at 10mph in this case, this would be lag.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, all this discussion about "lag", or as it was corrected, scroll speed, is just nitpicking, nothing else.

In real world usage, you won't notice it at all, it'll feel just as fast as every other Windows Phone...

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, all this discussion about "lag", or as it was corrected, scroll speed, is just nitpicking, nothing else.

In real world usage, you won't notice it at all, it'll feel just as fast as every other Windows Phone...

have to agree you always get chicken littles popping up their heads on phone launches or anything new for that matter

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The scroll speed has nothing to do with the speed of the device. I can set the mouse speed on my i5 PC to turtle speed and that doesn't mean the PC is slow.
I played with the Lumia 900...it's not the device per se...it's basically for every inch your finger moves, the menu moves less than on your Samsung device. It has nothing to do with LAG or a SLOW DEVICE. It's just a preset scroll speed.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The scroll speed has nothing to do with the speed of the device. I can set the mouse speed on my i5 PC to turtle speed and that doesn't mean the PC is slow.
I played with the Lumia 900...it's not the device per se...it's basically for every inch your finger moves, the menu moves less than on your Samsung device. It has nothing to do with LAG or a SLOW DEVICE. It's just a preset scroll speed.
I just played with one at an AT&T store and did not notice any "lag" or scroll speed issues. I guess I just like the speed at which the phone scrolls. It doesn't feel that different from my Focus Flash. It is slower scrolling then the Focus Flash...but not that much.

identity-x

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I HAVE experienced lag, though...

The scroll speed I can get used to. I came from an original Focus and scrolling zipped along. Makes sense that it would be a difference with Samsung.i have no basis no for comparison. Scroll speed is different from initial responsiveness, though, and THAT is different on my 900 too. While the screen follows at a slower speed, it also does BEHIND my finger. Touch the screen, move upward about 1mm...no movement until you move another mm or so. You can definitely tell when using drawing apps or the draw a line test in the Nokia diagnostics app.

But back to the lag. At least a couple of time while scrolling through contacts, using IE and even scrolling through the Weave app that brought me here its lagged. I'll move my finger a good half inch or more with NO response, then the page will instantly move the half inch or so with NO scrolling. it just jumps to where it should have been anyway. It's jarring to say the least.

AND the keyboard has a tendency to lag a bit, like the button animations are playing catch up to my typing. This was an issue in one of the second gen phones, yes? It's most noticeable when I enter my password at the lockscreen. Sometimes I will have pressed the third the number before the first even registers. Its enough of a lag that I sometimes push the delete button just before the first number registers because I think I've missed a button while typing...then I have to delete the password completely and retype more slowly because I'm not sure which numbers have actually been entered

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually technically it is "lag" as the screen response to movements is delayed. I noticed this on my Lumia 900 having come from a Lumia 800. The difference, the 800 responds without any visible delay. On the Lumia 900, it is very obvious that touch input is delayed.

The touch response on the 900 isn't on the same level as the 800(vastly superior to most phones on the market), which is possibly due to the larger screen. Taking more then 2 swipes to move down the start screen isn't really acceptable in my opinion. It could very well be adjusted with an update in the future, but for now, I've returned my L900 and will stick with the L800.

There's a great bit from Microsoft Research on touch input delay and how it affects the user experience:

Applied Sciences Group: High Performance Touch - YouTube

identity-x

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually technically it is "lag" as the screen response to movements is delayed. I noticed this on my Lumia 900 having come from a Lumia 800. The difference, the 800 responds without any visible delay. On the Lumia 900, it is very obvious that touch input is delayed.

The touch response on the 900 isn't on the same level as the 800(vastly superior to most phones on the market), which is possibly due to the larger screen. Taking more then 2 swipes to move down the start screen isn't really acceptable in my opinion. It could very well be adjusted with an update in the future, but for now, I've returned my L900 and will stick with the L800.

There's a great bit from Microsoft Research on touch input delay and how it affects the user experience:

Applied Sciences Group: High Performance Touch - YouTube

yes!

My Focus responded in a way that is much closer to the 50ms latency. My 900 much closer to 100ms. I much prefer the former.

nikkopol

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Not experiencing the "lag"

I admit that I don't have any experience with other Windows Phones, but I have used the iPhone quite a bit, and I'm not noticing any kind of lag with my L900. It is very responsive (no delay) and a single swipe will easily scroll through all of my tiles, and even all of the apps.

From reading this discussion, there seems to be two distinct issues. It sounds like the L900 may have a slower scroll speed than some other WP handsets. But it also sounds like some people are experiencing a real "lag". The second issue (the "lag") may be another quality control issue with a subset of L900s.

There are at least four major issues that seem to be affecting certain subsets of L900s:

1/ The data connectivity issue - this is confirmed by Nokia and I have been experiencing it (absolutely no connectivity since Apr 6, except for a few hours after doing a hard reset)

2/ Battery issue - I have not had any battery issues. My L900 can easily go the entire day and seems to perform as advertised. But several people are complaining about it on these forums.

3/ Camera/picture quality - My L900 has been taking pretty crappy pictures. Bad focus (even when using tap-to-focus), terrible in low light, and awful white balance. It sounds like a lot of other people are experiencing this. But I've seen other people take pretty decent (not incredible, but decent) pictures that do not compare at all to what I'm getting.

4/ Touch screen lag - Some of what you guys are describing sounds like a real problem with your phone. There is big difference between a slow scroll and a lag.

I'm sure there are plenty of smaller issues that are not as widespread as those listed above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss