There is no "lag"

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Look guys, I've played with 2 900s. There is not, I repeat not, a lag issue. When you say "lag" you automatically make people thing of actual lag, like Android has. Let me explain what is going on here:

Firstly, I almost promise you that all these people making this claim are Samsung handset owners. This "lag" isn't lag, it's scroll speed. That's it. No lag whatsoever. The reason I say every claimer is a Samsung handset owner is because Samsung handsets have a very fast scroll speed. I've used HTC handsets and the scroll speed on them is the exact same as on the 900. What I'm saying is, if you have only used HTC handsets, you won't be able to tell any difference between yours and the 900, because neither your phone nor the 900 has a scrolling issue. I just wanted to clear that up. Do not worry if you're planning on getting the 900. There are no issues whatsoever.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Though I have not played with a 900 yet, I can confirm that my HTC Surround's scroll speed is noticebly slower than My Samsung Focus' scroll speed.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Look guys, I've played with 2 900s. There is not, I repeat not, a lag issue. When you say "lag" you automatically make people thing of actual lag, like Android has. Let me explain what is going on here:

Firstly, I almost promise you that all these people making this claim are Samsung handset owners. This "lag" isn't lag, it's scroll speed. That's it. No lag whatsoever. The reason I say every claimer is a Samsung handset owner is because Samsung handsets have a very fast scroll speed. I've used HTC handsets and the scroll speed on them is the exact same as on the 900. What I'm saying is, if you have only used HTC handsets, you won't be able to tell any difference between yours and the 900, because neither your phone nor the 900 has a scrolling issue. I just wanted to clear that up. Do not worry if you're planning on getting the 900. There are no issues whatsoever.
This sounds exactly right. When people mentioned lag I though Android type stuttering lag.....until I loaded up my Surround home screen and tried scrolling...You're right. It seems like people are confusing scroll speed with lag.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's all it is honestly. My girlfriend's sister has an HD7S and when I first used it, I was like "why does this feel different?" But that's all it is, different. When you flick on a Samsung handset, it takes off and flies down the page, when you do it on an HTC or a 900, it just doesn't go down as far or as fast. Neither is wrong, neither is right. It's just different.

Please share this information with whoever you know that is worried about this issue. Thanks.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know technically that could constitute as lag, even possibly for me, but I think the main point is that it's not a deal breaker at all. I mean at the end of the day the fluidity and the response is still better than the competition right?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know technically that could constitute as lag, even possibly for me, but I think the main point is that it's not a deal breaker at all. I mean at the end of the day the fluidity and the response is still better than the competition right?

Yes, the fluidity and response is still there. But I think you're still looking at it the wrong way. There's not even a question of if it's a deal breaker, because it's not a real problem. It's just different than Samsung's scrolling speeds. That's it.

Another way to look at this is iPhone vs. WP7 scrolling speed. The iPhone's scrolling speed is very slow compared to WP7, but does that mean there's something wrong with iOS5 or the phone itself? No. It's just different.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

I'm an HTC Arrive owner and the my Arrive absolutely smoked the Lumia 900 when I put them side-by-side and scrolled through menus.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My Omnia 7 has fast scrolling, HTC surround is slower. To be honest though I always thought that was because the Samsung used faster storage. But I guess this puts that theory to rest.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
I went from a Focus S to a Lumia 900, and the scroll speed max us slower, but it is not a deal killer at all.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I played with 2 900s in the store on Friday and didn't notice anything I would call "lag." Lag is something that you feel when trying to get the phone to respond to your touch. There is ZERO lag on this phone. As for the scroll speed, it seemed slightly slower than the Samsungs I have messed around with. Basically, I am just confirming J4rrod's post with my own first-hand observations.

We'll all know soon enough though!

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the fluidity and response is still there. But I think you're still looking at it the wrong way. There's not even a question of if it's a deal breaker, because it's not a real problem. It's just different than Samsung's scrolling speeds. That's it.

Another way to look at this is iPhone vs. WP7 scrolling speed. The iPhone's scrolling speed is very slow compared to WP7, but does that mean there's something wrong with iOS5 or the phone itself? No. It's just different.

Oh nah, I get what you're saying. My point was that for those that are complaining about it, that at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal breaker (if at all) because it still beats out the competition. I mean we'll all have differences on what's laggy and what's not in terms of something like scroll speed. I mean even menu transitions could be "laggy" depending on the response time or transition speed. Of course, not in the traditional sense as you, I, and others may know it (e.g. stuttering).

Eject_Porkins

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh nah, I get what you're saying. My point was that for those that are complaining about it, that at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal breaker (if at all) because it still beats out the competition. I mean we'll all have differences on what's laggy and what's not in terms of something like scroll speed. I mean even menu transitions could be "laggy" depending on the response time or transition speed. Of course, not in the traditional sense as you, I, and others may know it (e.g. stuttering).

I respect your opinion, but for me personally, the slow scroll speed is absolutely a deal breaker. My Arrive smoked the 900 I played with. I would probably get used to the slower speed after a while, but I think I'll wait for Apollo phones now. I do hope the 900 sells like gangbusters...after all, we're all the same team here

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I respect your opinion, but for me personally, the slow scroll speed is absolutely a deal breaker. My Arrive smoked the 900 I played with. I would probably get used to the slower speed after a while, but I think I'll wait for Apollo phones now. I do hope the 900 sells like gangbusters...after all, we're all the same team here

Fair enough. I did forget it is a subjective perspective. I just though of everything else that could be a real clincher in what a person would want a smartphone to do for her that'd be down towards the bottom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss