Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
Like Tree8Likes
  1. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #1  
    Look guys, I've played with 2 900s. There is not, I repeat not, a lag issue. When you say "lag" you automatically make people thing of actual lag, like Android has. Let me explain what is going on here:

    Firstly, I almost promise you that all these people making this claim are Samsung handset owners. This "lag" isn't lag, it's scroll speed. That's it. No lag whatsoever. The reason I say every claimer is a Samsung handset owner is because Samsung handsets have a very fast scroll speed. I've used HTC handsets and the scroll speed on them is the exact same as on the 900. What I'm saying is, if you have only used HTC handsets, you won't be able to tell any difference between yours and the 900, because neither your phone nor the 900 has a scrolling issue. I just wanted to clear that up. Do not worry if you're planning on getting the 900. There are no issues whatsoever.
  2. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #2  
    Though I have not played with a 900 yet, I can confirm that my HTC Surround's scroll speed is noticebly slower than My Samsung Focus' scroll speed.
  3. falconeight#IM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #3  
    He is correct the scroll feels natural. Instead of zipping through like a slot machine it maintains a good scroll speed.
  4. Gaiking's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    Look guys, I've played with 2 900s. There is not, I repeat not, a lag issue. When you say "lag" you automatically make people thing of actual lag, like Android has. Let me explain what is going on here:

    Firstly, I almost promise you that all these people making this claim are Samsung handset owners. This "lag" isn't lag, it's scroll speed. That's it. No lag whatsoever. The reason I say every claimer is a Samsung handset owner is because Samsung handsets have a very fast scroll speed. I've used HTC handsets and the scroll speed on them is the exact same as on the 900. What I'm saying is, if you have only used HTC handsets, you won't be able to tell any difference between yours and the 900, because neither your phone nor the 900 has a scrolling issue. I just wanted to clear that up. Do not worry if you're planning on getting the 900. There are no issues whatsoever.
    This sounds exactly right. When people mentioned lag I though Android type stuttering lag.....until I loaded up my Surround home screen and tried scrolling...You're right. It seems like people are confusing scroll speed with lag.
  5. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #5  
    Yes, that's all it is honestly. My girlfriend's sister has an HD7S and when I first used it, I was like "why does this feel different?" But that's all it is, different. When you flick on a Samsung handset, it takes off and flies down the page, when you do it on an HTC or a 900, it just doesn't go down as far or as fast. Neither is wrong, neither is right. It's just different.

    Please share this information with whoever you know that is worried about this issue. Thanks.
  6. Darth Lumia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #6  
    Absolutely right ... I have a focus s and did notice "the lag" however is 1000 better than my galaxy nexus
  7. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    #7  
    I don't know technically that could constitute as lag, even possibly for me, but I think the main point is that it's not a deal breaker at all. I mean at the end of the day the fluidity and the response is still better than the competition right?
  8. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    I don't know technically that could constitute as lag, even possibly for me, but I think the main point is that it's not a deal breaker at all. I mean at the end of the day the fluidity and the response is still better than the competition right?
    Yes, the fluidity and response is still there. But I think you're still looking at it the wrong way. There's not even a question of if it's a deal breaker, because it's not a real problem. It's just different than Samsung's scrolling speeds. That's it.

    Another way to look at this is iPhone vs. WP7 scrolling speed. The iPhone's scrolling speed is very slow compared to WP7, but does that mean there's something wrong with iOS5 or the phone itself? No. It's just different.
  9. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    Look guys, I've played with 2 900s. There is not, I repeat not, a lag issue. When you say "lag" you automatically make people thing of actual lag, like Android has. Let me explain what is going on here:

    Firstly, I almost promise you that all these people making this claim are Samsung handset owners. This "lag" isn't lag, it's scroll speed. That's it. No lag whatsoever. The reason I say every claimer is a Samsung handset owner is because Samsung handsets have a very fast scroll speed. I've used HTC handsets and the scroll speed on them is the exact same as on the 900. What I'm saying is, if you have only used HTC handsets, you won't be able to tell any difference between yours and the 900, because neither your phone nor the 900 has a scrolling issue. I just wanted to clear that up. Do not worry if you're planning on getting the 900. There are no issues whatsoever.
    I'm an HTC Arrive owner and the my Arrive absolutely smoked the Lumia 900 when I put them side-by-side and scrolled through menus.
  10. RiseAgainst94's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #10  
    The slow scrolling may frustrate those who are used to the quick response of phones like the Focus S.
  11. JetLife87's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #11  
    My Omnia 7 has fast scrolling, HTC surround is slower. To be honest though I always thought that was because the Samsung used faster storage. But I guess this puts that theory to rest.
  12. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #12  
    Seemed pretty normal to me. Can't wait to pick mine up.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  13. krisguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #13  
    I went from a Focus S to a Lumia 900, and the scroll speed max us slower, but it is not a deal killer at all.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    (Disclaimer: I get a paycheck from AT&T working the front lines in a store. Unless AT&T publishes what I say as fact, these thoughts are all mine.)
  14. falconeight#IM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #14  
    The phone is definitely popular. It's looking like people are finding reason to make their phones a little less crappy.
  15. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Seemed pretty normal to me. Can't wait to pick mine up.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    "Sent from my HTC Surround..." Point Proven ;)
  16. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by krisguy View Post
    I went from a Focus S to a Lumia 900, and the scroll speed max us slower, but it is not a deal killer at all.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    #jealous

    You an AT&T rep?
  17. apoc527's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    #17  
    I played with 2 900s in the store on Friday and didn't notice anything I would call "lag." Lag is something that you feel when trying to get the phone to respond to your touch. There is ZERO lag on this phone. As for the scroll speed, it seemed slightly slower than the Samsungs I have messed around with. Basically, I am just confirming J4rrod's post with my own first-hand observations.

    We'll all know soon enough though!
  18. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    Yes, the fluidity and response is still there. But I think you're still looking at it the wrong way. There's not even a question of if it's a deal breaker, because it's not a real problem. It's just different than Samsung's scrolling speeds. That's it.

    Another way to look at this is iPhone vs. WP7 scrolling speed. The iPhone's scrolling speed is very slow compared to WP7, but does that mean there's something wrong with iOS5 or the phone itself? No. It's just different.
    Oh nah, I get what you're saying. My point was that for those that are complaining about it, that at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal breaker (if at all) because it still beats out the competition. I mean we'll all have differences on what's laggy and what's not in terms of something like scroll speed. I mean even menu transitions could be "laggy" depending on the response time or transition speed. Of course, not in the traditional sense as you, I, and others may know it (e.g. stuttering).
  19. Eject_Porkins's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Oh nah, I get what you're saying. My point was that for those that are complaining about it, that at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal breaker (if at all) because it still beats out the competition. I mean we'll all have differences on what's laggy and what's not in terms of something like scroll speed. I mean even menu transitions could be "laggy" depending on the response time or transition speed. Of course, not in the traditional sense as you, I, and others may know it (e.g. stuttering).
    I respect your opinion, but for me personally, the slow scroll speed is absolutely a deal breaker. My Arrive smoked the 900 I played with. I would probably get used to the slower speed after a while, but I think I'll wait for Apollo phones now. I do hope the 900 sells like gangbusters...after all, we're all the same team here
  20. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochi View Post
    I respect your opinion, but for me personally, the slow scroll speed is absolutely a deal breaker. My Arrive smoked the 900 I played with. I would probably get used to the slower speed after a while, but I think I'll wait for Apollo phones now. I do hope the 900 sells like gangbusters...after all, we're all the same team here
    Fair enough. I did forget it is a subjective perspective. I just though of everything else that could be a real clincher in what a person would want a smartphone to do for her that'd be down towards the bottom.
  21. Dormage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    140 Posts
    #21  
    Way i see it is some like it fast, some slower.
    The right way to do it is to have an option for it.
    Set scroll speed FTW!
  22. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochi View Post
    I respect your opinion, but for me personally, the slow scroll speed is absolutely a deal breaker. My Arrive smoked the 900 I played with. I would probably get used to the slower speed after a while, but I think I'll wait for Apollo phones now. I do hope the 900 sells like gangbusters...after all, we're all the same team here
    Agree 100%.
  23. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #23  
    It's nice to see someone setting the record straight on this.

    Now, I wish Nokia would hurry up and bring this device to the UK and Europe! :)
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  24. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #24  
    @Mochi the Arrive may be a different story, but I know for a fact that this is the case on the HD7(S). Also, I still bet a Samsung handset would "smoke" your Arrive.
  25. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by J4rrod View Post
    @Mochi the Arrive may be a different story, but I know for a fact that this is the case on the HD7(S). Also, I still bet a Samsung handset would "smoke" your Arrive.
    And your point is what? That the Arrive and Samsung phones are faster than the Lumia 900? And that users of those devices are used to a certain level of responsiveness and don't want to step back to a slower device on a platform that constantly advertises how quick it is?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions