Considering a Lumia 900

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

I'm a long time BlackBerry user looking to upgrade my phone soon. I would have liked to stay with BlackBerry, but their current offerings are underwhelming. I won't touch iOS and lm a bit iffy about Android.

I have been looking at lot of devices and the Lumia 900 caught my eye. I've looked at a few online reviews on it and I'm pretty interested in it. Sadly its not officially releases yet in Australia, so I can't go play with one.

I have never used any OS except BlackBerry before. I was wondering if some owners of the phone could share their thoughts/advice. Is call quality good? The touch screen? Is the OS user friendly?

Any help would be great :)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you this first of all: you can not understand how intuitive, friendly, and clean this OS is until you play with it yourself.

Now, I will tell you what I can. WP is the best OS I've ever used. I came from Android, and can tell you you that you want to avoid that mess. It's just too out of control, and the fragmentation is insane. Anyway, to understand what's so amazing about Windows Phone, you have to learn how well everything is connected. The social network integration is unmatched, and when when you get used to it, there's no going back. Here's a real world example:

My sister calls me, and tells me to go look at a comment on her last Facebook status and her last tweet. So I hit "Speaker," tap her name which will take me to her contact page, and swipe over once to "what's new."

That's all there is to it. On any other platform, you would have to hit speaker, then go to a FB app, then hit friends, find her, then look, then back out to a twitter app, and so on. And this is just one example of how the entire phone is, and not just with social networks, for example:

I want to read up on The Hunger Games, so I hit the search button, and enter my query. Not only will I get search results, but Bing will also suggest apps that can help you learn even more, as well as get showtimes, etc. You can then click and open up the app, or take you to the Marketplace to download it.

Here a song you like? Hit search, then the music icon. It will tell you what the song is, then give you the option to purchase it, right there (or download it if you have a Zune Music Pass).

This is how WP works. Features that other OSs have to download 10 apps to do, WP does out of the box, and it's all integrated. Then there's the Live Tiles, which are both beautiful and functional. I know what's going on with what I care care about within 10 seconds of unlocking my phone each morning. The Metro UI is a beautiful UI, with a no-nonsense, info up front philosophy. The virtual keyboard is incredibly accurate, which I know you'll appreciate. Oh, and listen to no one who says they're no apps here: there's over 80k, 90% of the big ones are here, and we have the fastest growing Marketplace of anyone.

I've played with a Lumia, and I can tell you that that polycarbonate body is so sophisticated feeling, not to mention incredibly durable. The screen is amazing, with ClearBlack technology. The Carl Zeiss lens camera is very good. I would highly recommend it.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Came from BB to the HTC Titan last November. There is not ONE thing that I miss about the BB. Work documents are easier to read and manage. Syncing all of my contacts from business and personal accounts is easy and you can organize the live tiles to reflect your priorities for information. I can track all of my kids contacts and phone content when they sync on Zune. Its cheaper because all the music my three kids can listen too cost me 9 dollars a month. I can monitor the games they play on the Xbox and what movies their watching and on and on and on.....

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
unless you have 900 BBM contacts that you have no other way to communicate with, i really doubt you're going to miss anything coming to wp7.

the OS is extremely fluid, rarely (if ever) crashes or lags, and the hardware (if the l800 which is the only lumia i've actually played with so far) is any indication is top notch.

call quality in most reviews has been pretty positive, and the touchscreen also seems to be great.

nokia makes some stellar hardware, and i'm pretty excited to have a nokia in my pocket again.

it would have been pretty cool if they gave us the OG snake game preloaded as a little nostalgic present.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It might be the coolest looking phone I've ever seen.

One concern I had is the 16gb seems pretty small with no expansion possible.

Nice to know the keyboard is good.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
yea, i really wish they had a 32gb option, i'd gladly pay $200 for it.

but i've learned to manage my music collection ever since i bought my focus s, so even with all the music and apps i use consistently, i can still hover around 7gb free.

wp7's keyboard is one of (if not the) best software keyboards i've used, light years better than android, and the autocorrect algorithm is better than the iphone, plus the larger screen is nice.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that you do get extra 25GB of cloud storage (SkyDrive).

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that you do get extra 25GB of cloud storage (SkyDrive).

i've never found that to be a valid excuse for the lack of more local storage since

1. it doesn't sync with zune (for music / videos)
2. data caps

while i enjoy the 25gb of cloud storage, i'd still have liked the option for a 32gb model.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte