Camera button no always launching camera from sleep

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I seem to have an issue with my Nokia Lumia 900. When the phone is asleep it does not always launch the camera. It works about 50% of the time. I made sure the option to prevent accidentally launching the camera is turned off in the settings.

I drove into the AT&T store and showed one of the salesman and he tested the one he was carrying. His did the same thing. Has anyone else noticed anything? Mine in the Cyan model and his was the black one (not that color should matter).

Thanks,

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have an issue with my Nokia Lumia 900. When the phone is asleep it does not always launch the camera. It works about 50% of the time. I made sure the option to prevent accidentally launching the camera is turned off in the settings.

I drove into the AT&T store and showed one of the salesman and he tested the one he was carrying. His did the same thing. Has anyone else noticed anything? Mine in the Cyan model and his was the black one (not that color should matter).

Thanks,

Hmm. Haven't noticed this so far today and have woken it with the camera button from sleep quite a few times today. All I can suggest is make sure you are pressing the button all the way down, and not just 1/2 way. It needs to be fully pressed and held for just a brief tick.

I will respond back though if I notice it happening to mine...

freshairr

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Haven't noticed this so far today and have woken it with the camera button from sleep quite a few times today. All I can suggest is make sure you are pressing the button all the way down, and not just 1/2 way. It needs to be fully pressed and held for just a brief tick.

I will respond back though if I notice it happening to mine...

+1 At first I though just a quick press would do it, but it has to be fully pressed down and for 1/2 second for it to inititaite

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think there's some things preventing from the button being accidentally pushed.

On my Lumia 800 it needs solid second push before it starts the app and you really can't go pushing the button repeatedly.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, to wake phone using camera, you must press and hold the camera button. Plus, there's an option in the pictures+camera section that lets you turn on a switch that prevents accidental waking with the camera button. Very nice and works well.

the_fly68

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Also make sure your hand isn't near the proximity sensor. This can prevent the camera from launching correctly.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Also make sure your hand isn't near the proximity sensor. This can prevent the camera from launching correctly.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Yeah this is the most common cause of this, you cover it with a finger or something. Its also a setting you can turn off if you like, but beware pocket photos.

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I have the setting turned off in the settings so it should be working fine. It only works about one out of three times. I hold the phone in my right hand and press the camera button with my thumb. I hold it for a while and nothing happens. I try again and nothing, the third time it works fine. Sometimes, it works on the first press sometimes the fourth. It is not consistent and never works all the time if the phone is off.

If i have the phone on, it always launches the camera on the first press.

I think there might be an issue with the button and the "hold down" feature of it.

sayonical

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me today. When the screen was off it wouldn't unlock! I rebooted then unchecked the "press and hold camera button to wake up phone option" locked the phone and tried to launch camera. Didn't work as expected. Then rechecked the option and voila it worked!

Mile#WP

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the setting turned off in the settings so it should be working fine. It only works about one out of three times. I hold the phone in my right hand and press the camera button with my thumb. I hold it for a while and nothing happens. I try again and nothing, the third time it works fine. Sometimes, it works on the first press sometimes the fourth. It is not consistent and never works all the time if the phone is off.

If i have the phone on, it always launches the camera on the first press.

I think there might be an issue with the button and the "hold down" feature of it.

There is definitely an issue here. I got the Samsun Focus on day 1 and now have upgraded to the nokia 900, so this is a feature I use quite a bit and understand very well. It does not work consistently on the Nokia 900. Fails way more than it works. If the phone is powered on, even with the lock screen on, the button will bring up the camera asap, but with the unit in sleep, the button is being ignored almost all the time.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely an issue here. I got the Samsun Focus on day 1 and now have upgraded to the nokia 900, so this is a feature I use quite a bit and understand very well. It does not work consistently on the Nokia 900. Fails way more than it works. If the phone is powered on, even with the lock screen on, the button will bring up the camera asap, but with the unit in sleep, the button is being ignored almost all the time.

First couple of times I had issues, then I realized it needs a press and hold for a second or so, and once I figured that, I have 100% success. I hold it as if I am holding a camera and use my index though.

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have now seen this same issue. I was doing it right before posting this not seems it is not not only the camera button. Play music and lock your phone. See if you can raise and lower the volume. It is very inconsistent. I did this with Bluetooth and with the speaker. If you hit the wake button all the buttons will work as intended. But if locked, that's another story.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

What's funny is I have a Samsung Focus and it occasionally happens to me. I bought it used so I figured it had something wrong with it or I was just covering the sensor. It still works most of the time.

Could they have done something like tied it to the gyroscope so that you have to have it sideways at the time?

sayonical

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Guys I just noticed that it ONLY WORKS when the phone is held in landscape mode! Probably by design to prevent accidental launches?

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I just reset my phone to factory and I am trying it with no apps installed etc. It seems to work about 3 out of 4 times. I did not notice a difference if I had the phone in portrait or landscape. I also just noticed that the home button does not always work after launching with the camera. I can touch it and nothing happens sometimes. I can then hit the back button and it always works. Weird. I think I am going to exchange it for another one. I hope this is not a problem with the model on a wide scale. It will really hurt the phone's sales since quick launching the camera is one of the best features. You need to get an Xperia to do that on android.

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried the whole landscape mode and it is definitely not the case. It almost looks like Nokia has turned the priority of the buttons when it is locked. The buttons work flawlessly if you wake the screen. You don't even have to swipe up to unlock to get all functionality.

It is not a deal breaker for me but more of a pet peeve. Now that I know its an issue I keep trying it. I find it a little annoying because my Focus S could do it. But, all the issues I had with the Focus S are fixed with this phone. Not hardware problems with the audio being this biggest one. Maybe this could be fixed with an update, have to wait and see. Still, I am in love with this phone. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb