Android & iPhone converts to WP7 -- First impressions!

wpnewbie

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Now that we are receiving Lumia 900 (and Titan II) .. just curious to know your first impressions on the phones and OS ...

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what's going on with the phone. Vastly different from iOS it will take me some time to get used to all the new ways of doing things.

Inkerguy

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I've taken to it fairly quickly. I'm slowly unlearning some habits (notification dropdown in iOS 5 for example) but otherwise I'm really digging it. I've always tried to stay platform agnostic so that I didn't have to rebuy music or movies so bringing over contents not an issue. Other than a few missing phone numbers its been fairly seemless :-D. Now to wait for Words with Friends.

I love the transitions and the back button has become somthi g I thought I'd never use but am glad to have. I'm sure I'll find some annoyances but for now I'm happy.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Former Android user myself ( Nexus One ).

First impression is very smooth and effortless to navigate around in.

Marketplace is not some vast wasteland of nothing that some reviews seem to harp on.

Browsed a few pages and the IE browser is nice but not feature complete or at least from my small sample size it appears that way (wish I could have a home page or maybe I just can't find it ) . Pinch to zoom and scrolling is effortless.

Haven't played with the camera but that will come when I am not sitting at work :(

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what's going on with the phone. Vastly different from iOS it will take me some time to get used to all the new ways of doing things.

It's a decent shift in thinking and process. Now you go to the person you want to communicate with first, instead of going to the communication method and then adding in the person. Little things like that.

Jaymil

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Still wrapping my head around this OS. My main gripe so far is the browser. Also it seems like alot of options that I'd have on android are just not there on WP7... things like wifi sleep policy and such. Kind of annoying but I'll get over it.

henilp89

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
formar android user (motorola atrix):
my best friend bought a windows phone (samsung focus) and the day he showed me his phone, i immediately fell in luv with windows OS. Lumia 900 is 100 times better than focus. i found all the apps i use in windows marketplace. OS is truly joy to use. so fast, clean and i luv it!! hardware is also awesome. im very happy :D

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
My only (slight) disappointment is the browser combined with the obviously non-Retina display. Marketing hype or not, webpages (particularly text) simply look better on my iPhone 4. Also, I'm not sure if IE9 is the equal of Safari on the iPhone.

Besides that, the OS actually makes the iPhone look primitive by comparison. People Hub + Groups + Contact History alone are incredible features that iOS can't match (I assume Android can't either, but don't know Android, so won't comment).

diegosalinas

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I came from Android. And, really used navigation almost daily.

I appreciate Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive but wish I could jump to navigate with Drive from within Nokia Maps. If I find something in Maps and click Directions, it is just a list of how to get there. I wish you could click something and Drive would take over.

I don't like Bing Maps navigation being Read all directions first, Memorize, Then listen for the beep once you made what you think is the right move. Otherwise, get your phone, tap the appropriate move and then hear the voice guidance. I need to know what to do as I approach not get an audible beep if I did things right.

If I'm going to have to have my phone in my hand and look/touch at the screen while driving, what's the point of navigation?

I get why Bing Maps navigation does what it does. But, I think it's more dangerous fumbling with your phone reading the next step or touching the screen to hear the voice guidance. Rather, than being distracted by a sporadic voice telling you what to do.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Having used iOS, Android, webOS, and now WP7, I have come to the conclusion that WP7 is the best. While it took me a little bit to adjust to the different OS, it has been a great experience so far. Despite the Lumia not meeting the spec wishes of the Verge, I have yet to find any issues with it. It is very smooth and does everything I need it to do.

While I have no doubt the number of apps will continue to grow, there are only a few missing that I used on the iPhone. And honestly, the only reason I used the app was because it was there. It's not like I desperately needed to use it over the internet.

l am continuing to find things I love about Windows Phone. :D

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I came from Android. And, really used navigation almost daily.

I appreciate Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive but wish I could jump to navigate with Drive from within Nokia Maps. If I find something in Maps and click Directions, it is just a list of how to get there. I wish you could click something and Drive would take over.

I don't like Bing Maps navigation being Read all directions first, Memorize, Then listen for the beep once you made what you think is the right move. Otherwise, get your phone, tap the appropriate move and then hear the voice guidance. I need to know what to do as I approach not get an audible beep if I did things right.

If I'm going to have to have my phone in my hand and look/touch at the screen while driving, what's the point of navigation?

I get why Bing Maps navigation does what it does. But, I think it's more dangerous fumbling with your phone reading the next step or touching the screen to hear the voice guidance. Rather, than being distracted by a sporadic voice telling you what to do.

instead of using maps to find things, you could use Bing which will give you a location card in the local tab. If you select that, then swipe to the apps tab, you should be able to select Nokia Drive (im not sure if it actually implements this yet)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre