Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukrem

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    We all know the desktop version of Internet Explores sucks. It always has. Nobody I know uses IE for web browsing on computers.

Now that Windows mobile phones ship with IE a the default browser, I can't help but think that it is the weak link of an otherwise great mobile OS.

So people that have used IE on WP7, how does it compare to Safari on the iPhone? Does it render pages without any issues? Does it hang up or freeze or have pop up problems? How does its speed compare to Safari?

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I generally don't have any problem with it, but there are some quirks with it. I don't like that they got rid of the back/forward buttons and buried it in context menu. Also, even though I have it set to Mobile mode, it will still download desktop versions of webpages.

Overall, it's not a bad browser, but could definitely use some refinement.

On PC IE is known for it being cumbersome and heavy.

On Windows Phone i think this time the base is excellent. It's fast, snappy, very smooth scrolling. All that with less hardware than iOS and Android.

Though what they need to do is keep adding features. Will be interesting to see how IE look on Windows Phone 8.

I actually like IE9 and I love IE10! Only IE10 can compete with Chromes in terms of HTML5 compliance

Lets hope they fix it SOMEHOW.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Try Next Browser.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...6-0d8590cedd5c

It is simply the best browser on WP7. You swipe horizontally to go from tab to tab. I hate changing tabs in IE. The trial has NO LIMITATIONS.

Try it out.
    Also loving my LUMIA!!

Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    Sounds like some of you haven't actually used IE9 on the desktop and are just going with the usual "IE sucks" chant of the internet. Have had no problems with the desktop version and neither with the WP version.

Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
    I prefer IE on WP7 to Safari on iOS. In Safari, there were some websites that absolutely refused to load the desktop version and made me stick with the mobile no matter how many times I clicked to use full site (cnet.com comes to mind). I have never once had this same problem in IE9. I also prefer the address bar to always be visible and have the physical back button opposed to a software one.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    The desktop IE9 is excellent, it competes with chrome when it comes to speed and security (heck, microsoft showed google how to create chrome's sandboxing feature and helped with other aspects of the browser), and wipes the floor when it comes to gpu rendering of web pages.

I will admit the IE9 on wp7.5 could use an upgrade. It was good when it was released last year, but it's starting to show its age a bit. Admittedly I only use it to view full pages (I prefer this to looking at the mobile versions of web pages), but recently I have experienced a few bugs when looking at more complex sites (eg. the verge, cnet - which have a lot of layers and complex effects).

It is by no means a horrible browser, I just think it's time to bring on wp8 and ie10.
    jbjtkbw00#AC likes this.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    IE9 is awesome, the vast majority of windows 7 users use IE9.

If they added a software forward and back button I'd have no issues with IE9 on WP.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I don't mind it, but I truly hate the text in the mobile version of sites. Perhaps I'm used to the HD screen on my GNex, but blah. Otherwise, it isn't so bad.

It's definitely better than the WinMo browser I used. But for me the font sizes are not configurable and they vary depending on the sites. I like Opera's execution better.

Is there opera for wp7?

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    .... Nobody I know uses IE for web browsing on computers.
    This says more about who you know, saint.. here are some data for you and your acquaintances:
    Internet Explorer Market Share Jumps as Rivals Drop | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

;)
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 04-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Every choice involves compromising...
    Zune Pass Rocks and rolls and jazzes and...
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)...

Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    I actually use IE9 all the time on my laptop. and now that I am using Windows 8 beta, I use IE10. Pretty seamless.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    IE is excellent actually on windows phone 7. its fast, clean, smooth unlike android stock browser and dont forget, you are comparing single core IE to dual core safari or android net browser so it might take two or three seconds more than others but its still very fast. pocketnow posted a video comparing lumia 900 to galaxy nexus and on web browsing test (over same wi-fi), lumia actually beat galaxy nexus interms of loading websites (lumia would win every single time over cellular data). so point is, IE is great.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terantek View Post
    but recently I have experienced a few bugs when looking at more complex sites (eg. the verge, cnet - which have a lot of layers and complex effects).

It is by no means a horrible browser, I just think it's time to bring on wp8 and ie10.
    Topolsky (The Verge) essentially said the other day in response to the response to his Lumia 900 review that they "weren't going to bother with coding the site for IE (mobile or desktop) because it's a miniscule percentage of the browsers that view the site and it's a mess to ensure compatibility with."
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoron View Post
    It's definitely better than the WinMo browser I used. But for me the font sizes are not configurable and they vary depending on the sites. I like Opera's execution better.
    The only downsides to Opera is the data runs through its servers between the site and your phone, and that it "makes" the site the way it thinks should show.

Speed wise, it's still very good. Not a lot of side-scrolling, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by cp2_4eva View Post
    Is there opera for wp7?

So far, only if you have a dev or interop unlocked device. I could put it on my 917, but IE is good enough :)
    Press it...press it for glory!
    L900W: 8779, warranty replacement from Nokia
    Former: Focus S, Focus

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    This says more about who you know, saint.. here are some data for you and your acquaintances:
    Internet Explorer Market Share Jumps as Rivals Drop | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

;)
    +1

I am using less and less of Chrome now days .. IE9 is Getting faster and faster .. of course i am on windows 7 with Core i7 ..

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    I don't think it's ie9 becuase everybody knows about ie9 got dramatically faster then last versions. It's that wp was not marketed to it's potential. Also people Thought it was wm.
    But not anymore becuase most people in da US would know about wp and Nokia lumia 900