Screen goes off on voice calls?

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I thought my phone was broken, but maybe not...

While I was setting up my voicemail, my screen kept going blank. Seemed random, maybe tied to the rotate feature. Did a re-set, no help. But I think I figured it out. I guess the front-facing camera senses something close by, like a face for example, and it turns the screen off. So while I was playing with it, it could "see" my fingers and turned the screen off? Is that correct? I guess that's cool. No need lighting someone's face up while they are on a call. It would certainly help keep someone from getting a ticket in a state where phone use while driving is illegal.

Note, this only happens when on headset or holding the phone to my ear, not on speakerphone, so I guess it is a real feature. Freaked me out. I was ready for a trip to AT&T to swap it out.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the sensor is right next to the front facing camera if you take a light and shine it there you will see or if you go in the sun you will see the sensor..

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes the sensor turns the screen of when on a call. It also keeps the screen from coming on when you are using voice commands and the device is in your pocket or pouch.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
It also keeps the screen from coming in for camera button "wake to camera" feature and normal unlock feature when its in a pocket or bag.

Sent from my Window 8 tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros