Carrier unlock service

Skelther

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So... I'm not from the US but I'm eager to get my Lumia 900. I'm thinking on buying one off-contract from amazon or ebay and buy an unlock code from unlockusa (Cheap & Free 100% Money Back Instant Unlock Code - Unlock USA - index)

I stumped into unlock usa in an ebay listing and they do have a good reputation, but I'm hesitant to buy a phone whitout being absolutely sure the unlock code will work, it would suck to spend that amount of money for a pretty brick.

on the other hand, i could just wait until someone start selling it already unlocked on ebay or maybe even amazon, but then again, I'm eager to get it

Anyway... my question is, has anybody bought an unlock from there? any other site you recommend?

Thanks!

Skelther

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that when you buy a phone off-contract you can use the phone well... without a contract (here we call it pre-paid, where you add credit before using it, not sure how you guys name it in US or if it even exists), but its still locked and only works with AT&T SIMs

I may be wrong, can anyone confirm?

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Off contract pricing in the US just means that they are not subsidizing the cost. However, the phone is identical to one that you would get if you bought it on contract, or subsidized. It will not be carrier unlocked.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
off contract does not mean unlocked. That has always been the misconception.

U just avoiding locking into a contract for two yrs.

Last edited:

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that when you buy a phone off-contract you can use the phone well... without a contract (here we call it pre-paid, where you add credit before using it, not sure how you guys name it in US or if it even exists), but its still locked and only works with AT&T SIMs

I may be wrong, can anyone confirm?

That's the way it was when I bought my AT&T Samsung Focus. I still had to pay for an unlock service, which I can't recall right now. It was expensive, though: $20. So if you can pay less (much less) than that, please do. At least it worked.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
@Skelther

I am in the same position as you. I will be ordering a "non-commitment" 900 off Amazon/AT&T (which ever is easiest) and then look at either buying an unlock code or taking it to an unlock service centre.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro