Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By apoc527
  • 4 Post By Windowsphone7
  • 1 Post By LordGreylock
  • 1 Post By Budule
  • 1 Post By Windowsphone7
  • 1 Post By massifheed
  1. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #1  
    Nokia Lumia 900 camera shoot-out vs. iPhone 4 (photos) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

    I know the 4S's camera is good, and that's why it makes me happy that this contest was about 50/50.

    EDIT:

    The article title has a typo, it's 900 vs. 4S
    Last edited by J4rrod; 04-08-2012 at 09:39 PM.
  2. apoc527's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    #2  
    I'm seeing some excellent shots from my Lumia 900 that are better than an iPhone 4. I don't have a 4S to compare it to, so this is helpful.
    J4rrod likes this.
  3. kashk5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'm hoping somebody writes up a camera settings guide for the Lumia 900. Looks like it has great potential once the settings have been tweaked compared to the auto settings.

    Until then, I'm going to keep tinkering with it to see what works best in various settings.
  4. emirozmen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    #5  
    Very nice article
  5. LordGreylock's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #6  
    Here are some photos I've taken with my Lumia 900, I think they came out pretty well.
    I have done some comparison shots and most times the Lumia 900 has done very well against it. Not enough of a difference for me to want my iPhone back.











    karmamule likes this.
  6. Budule's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #7  
    I must be doing something wrong because my pics look NOTHING like those......
    hellomiggy likes this.
  7. Windowsphone7's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    91 Posts
    #8  

    Untitled by JTproductions, on Flickr



    Untitled by JTproductions, on Flickr
    Nokia Lumia 900
    karmamule likes this.
  8. massifheed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #9  
    I realise that this is a really basic thing, but a couple of friends/family of mine that have either the 800 or 900 had no idea the camera button is a two-stage button (press half-way to focus then all the way to take the shot).

    If people don't know this, and just take shots by fully pressing the button, then it's no wonder their shots look crap.

    It may not be the best camera in any given phone (although I think it's great), but knowing how to use it at its most basic does help.
    jbjtkbw00#AC likes this.
  9. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    969 Posts
    #10  
    How quick is the camera in the 900?

    It annoys the %^&* out of me, how slow my HD7 is to actually take the picture, which usually ends up blurry is there is any sort of movement. Its gotten to the point where i use the Missus' iphone to take all pictures.
  10. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    How quick is the camera in the 900?

    It annoys the %^&* out of me, how slow my HD7 is to actually take the picture, which usually ends up blurry is there is any sort of movement. Its gotten to the point where i use the Missus' iphone to take all pictures.
    Yes, the HD7 has a hideous camera. Probably the worst smartphone camera I have come across. My old Nokia 2700 takes far superior pictures.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  11. Budule's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by massifheed View Post
    I realise that this is a really basic thing, but a couple of friends/family of mine that have either the 800 or 900 had no idea the camera button is a two-stage button (press half-way to focus then all the way to take the shot).

    If people don't know this, and just take shots by fully pressing the button, then it's no wonder their shots look crap.

    It may not be the best camera in any given phone (although I think it's great), but knowing how to use it at its most basic does help.
    I am aware of that and that you can tap the screen to focus... and most outside well lit photos are ok, but lower light not so good.....i've read some stuff to change all the settings to this and that but i just made things worse.....(some were close to an x-ray i think)......
  12. eortizr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    #14  
    so all those pictures using default settings? if not, please share. thanks
  13. Windowsphone7's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    91 Posts
    #15  
  14. jbjtkbw00#AC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    319 Posts
    Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    #16  
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

    Put the Nokia's camera in the hands of someone that knows a little bit on how to take a picture, and they can turn out great. Jessica Dolcourt proved that in the article, and users have shown it here. Too many people think that just because they can take a picture, they can take a decent picture and as soon as it's a crappy one, they blame the camera and not their on ability.

    I bet these same people think they're the best drivers in the world too, but we know how many of those there are, don't we???
  15. Budule's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjtkbw007 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

    Put the Nokia's camera in the hands of someone that knows a little bit on how to take a picture, and they can turn out great. Jessica Dolcourt proved that in the article, and users have shown it here. Too many people think that just because they can take a picture, they can take a decent picture and as soon as it's a crappy one, they blame the camera and not their on ability.

    I bet these same people think they're the best drivers in the world too, but we know how many of those there are, don't we???
    You may be right and i probably suck but when im using a regular camera or even my wifes Galaxy Note the pics turn out WAY better.....(we had both phones on vacation a couple weeks ago and took some pics of the Titanic (Pigeon Forge Version) standing side by side and there was no comparison...and again, i have read stuff that says you should change the default settings to get better ressults.........and i AM the best driver !!!.....round these parts anyway.....
  16. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    #18  
    My favorite photo I've taken with my 900.

    Scenes: Macro
    White Balance: Daylight (usually on Auto)
    Exposure Value: 0
    ISO: Auto
    Metering Mode: Center Weighted
    Effects: Normal
    Contrast: High
    Saturation: Low
    Focus Mode: Macro
    Resolution: 7MP
    Flicker Reduction: 60Hz


    Lately I've been experimenting with 2MP (16:9) pictures. The resolution is still pretty large (2048 x 1152) and seem less grainy. Unfortunately I haven't done any comparison pictures yet.
  17. karmamule's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    547 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjtkbw007 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

    Put the Nokia's camera in the hands of someone that knows a little bit on how to take a picture, and they can turn out great. Jessica Dolcourt proved that in the article, and users have shown it here. Too many people think that just because they can take a picture, they can take a decent picture and as soon as it's a crappy one, they blame the camera and not their on ability.

    I bet these same people think they're the best drivers in the world too, but we know how many of those there are, don't we???
    Would anyone have recommendations on a good article or site that gives some pointers on how to fiddle with cell phone cameras to get a better picture?

    It's sort of obvious what some of the settings do at a high level, but info on what order to set them in, and what conditions call for what settings would be really useful.
  18. jbjtkbw00#AC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    319 Posts
    Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by karmamule View Post
    Would anyone have recommendations on a good article or site that gives some pointers on how to fiddle with cell phone cameras to get a better picture?

    It's sort of obvious what some of the settings do at a high level, but info on what order to set them in, and what conditions call for what settings would be really useful.
    First of...kudos to you for caring enough to ask. That's a great question as I don't know for sure, but I would think that these days, you should be able to find stuff like this fairly easily. I'm sure there must be tips like this available. If you come across something, please share for everyone's benefit.
  19. rchillin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #23  
    dude, what settings are using because those pics look amazing!!
  20. RattleSnake506's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #24  
    Yeah.. Windowsphone7..Excellent photos..Please tell us what settings you were using..

Posting Permissions