For those with Nokia 900 data connection issue, try this

Jomon

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been having data issues since Friday. I got it back yesterday by hard resetting the phone but when I called to enable visual voicemail, my data connection dropped completely and my phone was just showing bars but with no 3G, 4G or E data connection indicator. I have talked to a couple of AT&T reps and they were unable to help me. The store rep I talked to said I can come in tomorrow to replace the phone and he mentioned that he had two other customers with similar issues. I finally tried monkeying around with APN settings tonight and got my data connection to work finally. I don't know how long this will last though but if you have data connection issues like me, here is what I did

1) Go to Settings-Cellular and and click Add APN
2) Use the following APN settings (enter it exactly like this)
APN -> phone
Username -> leave blank
Password -> leave blank
Proxy server/URL -> proxy.mobile.att.net
Proxy Port -> 80
3) Click the check button to accept the the settings.
4) Turn off wifi so you can verify later if the data connection is now working
5) Turn off your phone and turn it back on
6) Wait a few minutes and check your data connection. I think mine suddenly work after about 10 minutes or so

Its weird. Give this a try and see if this works for you too.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow......that worked immediately...I wonder if it will stick for good.

THANK YOU!!!!

Update:....almost. As soon as I switched to 4G from LTE I lost it again.......good try though.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

Last edited:

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This works for me, I don't have LTE in my area, so I don't know that I will have the network switching problem.

I am new to ATT, do you usually have to add an APN/Proxy server? Is this essentially what the nokia connection setup thing does for you?

Jomon

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I deleted the apn settings this morning to test the phone and when I restarted it, my data connection is still working. Weird. The only difference is I'm at work today so I'm on a different area (NY vs CT). I guess I'll find out tonight when I go home if my problem "went away".

M3Armand

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been having data issues since Friday. I got it back yesterday by hard resetting the phone but when I called to enable visual voicemail, my data connection dropped completely and my phone was just showing bars but with no 3G, 4G or E data connection indicator. I have talked to a couple of AT&T reps and they were unable to help me. The store rep I talked to said I can come in tomorrow to replace the phone and he mentioned that he had two other customers with similar issues. I finally tried monkeying around with APN settings tonight and got my data connection to work finally. I don't know how long this will last though but if you have data connection issues like me, here is what I did

1) Go to Settings-Cellular and and click Add APN
2) Use the following APN settings (enter it exactly like this)
APN -> phone
Username -> leave blank
Password -> leave blank
Proxy server/URL -> proxy.mobile.att.net
Proxy Port -> 80
3) Click the check button to accept the the settings.
4) Turn off wifi so you can verify later if the data connection is now working
5) Turn off your phone and turn it back on
6) Wait a few minutes and check your data connection. I think mine suddenly work after about 10 minutes or so

Its weird. Give this a try and see if this works for you too.

I just tried this and it worked for me. I heard that Nokia shipped some phone with a "typo" in the APN settings... A typo... really?.. Probably done by the same person that decided to launch this phone during the Holiday.

So anyway, although the above worked for me, I am thinking that as soon as the phone "switches" to LTE, I would lose connection once more until I delete the above...and then would probably have to re-enter it once I enter regular 4G or 3G network.... I smell a return/swap. How annoying since that would mean a reload of all my apps, songs, etc...

Last edited:

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Those are just bad phones and or SIM cards. I just went to an AT&T store (after a huge hassle) and got both replaced, my wifes phone works perfectly and so does this one. Every time i turned my phone off I would lose data (well the phone owuld turn itself off!) The only solution is to replace your phone

Jomon

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys, its 3 PM and my data is still working despite the fact I have removed the APN settings I mentioned on this post. I removed it for testing purposes and to my surprise, it is still working even after I have restarted the phone. This is just weird. I'm no expert but it really looks like their network was not authenticating my phone and when I did the APN settings, it got through and now works even without that APN settings. Can you guys who tried the APN settings try and remove it now and see if your data connection works now without that APN setting?

M3Armand

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys, its 3 PM and my data is still working despite the fact I have removed the APN settings I mentioned on this post. I removed it for testing purposes and to my surprise, it is still working even after I have restarted the phone. This is just weird. I'm no expert but it really looks like their network was not authenticating my phone and when I did the APN settings, it got through and now works even without that APN settings. Can you guys who tried the APN settings try and remove it now and see if your data connection works now without that APN setting?

Weird.... seems like someone did something in the background to fix this? Mine works now also...

Jomon

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Weird.... seems like someone did something in the background to fix this? Mine works now also...

Update: I turned off my phone for several minutes and turned it back on. Now I don't have data connections again. I am going to exchange this phone for a new one. The store did say they will have them in stock today and I can exchange it. I'm not going to restore the APN settings and get it to work again. I want a new phone.

M3Armand

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine's been off for about 3+ hours now and it still works. AND surprisingly, the "Nokia Collection" from the Marketplace shows up now, too. Looks like something's been happening in the background? I won't be swapping my phone for now since I don't want to have to reload everything... I'll wait and see.

prathyushms

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
try doing this: hold the volume up button, power button and camera button until the device restarts. it fixed my data problem..
hopefully it stays like that until there is an official fix

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3