Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Not sure why people are saying all HTC phones are like this because the start screen on my Trophy is definitely not like that video. It follows my thumb as fast as it will move.

Maybe it's a random issue with all phones and not just the Lumia?

Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post
    All of a sudden you can replicate what he said which was basically what I said. smh

" You can really feel it when playing a game like Dodonpachi Maximum. The battleship is far from where your finger is "

The battleship it suppose to be under my finger at all times, not lagging behind my gestures
    I was comparing it to how the iPhone 4 plays Space Deadbeef, where the ship DEFINITELY lags behind your finger. I don't play many games on handsets, so I'm not that familiar with how those types of games "ought" to feel. All I can say is that Dodonpachi Maximum was certainly playable--why would you want the actual graphic to be under your finger at all times? I always played those games by putting my finger to one side and "dragging" the ship around, which is basically how the Lumia's screen seems to function.

At any rate, to each his own. It took several people describing the same thing in different ways for me to finally recognize what you were all describing and I used the phone with no complaints over the entire weekend.
  3. Los

Quote Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
    I was comparing it to how the iPhone 4 plays Space Deadbeef, where the ship DEFINITELY lags behind your finger. I don't play many games on handsets, so I'm not that familiar with how those types of games "ought" to feel. All I can say is that Dodonpachi Maximum was certainly playable--why would you want the actual graphic to be under your finger at all times? I always played those games by putting my finger to one side and "dragging" the ship around, which is basically how the Lumia's screen seems to function.

At any rate, to each his own. It took several people describing the same thing in different ways for me to finally recognize what you were all describing and I used the phone with no complaints over the entire weekend.
    Maybe because it's suppose to be played accurately. smh

Like I said, I had the HTC Arrive, and it played the way it was suppose to. It's a problem and it needs to be fixed. Simple as that. I'm not gonna sit here and argue about it. I'm just here to back him on his claim cause it's true and I experience it too. I don't care about the start screen scrolling, that's the least of my problems but it's effecting my gameplay experience and that's not cool
    Last edited by Los; 04-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Screen is super responsive to me I don't know what the **** you guys are talking about!
  5. Los

Then I guess me and Daniel are just making stuff up, huh?

Nokia Lumia 800 vs Lumia 900 - YouTube

I already said I can notice it now. But as Daniel said, "I am not sure how much that translates to real world differences between the devices." (or something to that effect)

If the phone doesn't play Doponachi Maximum well enough for you, then take it back. If it doesn't bother you enough to do that, then I guess the issue is kind of closed, huh?
  7. Los

No cause i'm happy with the phone. It's my only issue with it so far. It can easily be fixed with an update. Why else do we have firmware/software updates for? I understand the phone was rushed to the market with little time on their hands but they need to address this with an update. If we don't speak up, how do you expect it to get fixed? but it's not like it can't be fixed with an update

Stop acting like people are trying to attack the phone. If it has a problem, then it has a problem. No phone is perfect. smh

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    Not sure why people are saying all HTC phones are like this because the start screen on my Trophy is definitely not like that video. It follows my thumb as fast as it will move.

Maybe it's a random issue with all phones and not just the Lumia?
    Well I know for a fact it's just like that on the HD7(S)

Global Posts
    2,860 Global Posts
    I haven't held the N900 yet (hopefully tomorrow), but it seems that if it's taking 6-7 strokes to reach the bottom of the App screen, with only the default apps, then the responsiveness may be a little slow. However, I would think it can be adjusted with a software update.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    It probably CAN be fixed with an update, but therein lies the problem. Who knows WHEN an update would come? Remember, they're sorta letting the carriers dictate update cycles now. And this phone is brand new, so I wouldn't expect anything for at least a few months.

I'm just saying, if this were an iPhone or a Nexus device (running pure Android), then they could squash it in a week or two.

I think in this case, the importance of this phone works in our favor. Assuming it's something that can be fixed (and needs to be fixed, which I won't argue, as I would be happy with rock solid performance, after all), then I think we are more likely to see updates for this phone than any other non-iPhone, non-Nexus device. It's kind of up there with those two brands as being the "purest" WP7 experience, because of the partnership between MS and Nokia.

This is also true of the camera, which again, assuming it can/needs to be fixed, probably will get an update. AT&T isn't going to hold back updates for THIS handset lightly...I hope!

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    I took this today at an AT&T store. Is anyone else completely puzzled why Nokia decided to make the screen responsiveness so harsh?? Yes, I understand that Samsung turns theirs up way high, but IMO thats how it should be. It should follow your thumb & finger a lot more accurately than what Nokia is doing.

d674f20e.mp4 video by peestandingup - Photobucket

And its not the screen size either. Like I said, the Focus S doesn't do this. Neither does my Titan or iPhone. Even crappy Androids I've tried aren't this bad, and that OS needs a jet engine to make it not run like poo.

Why are they doing this? Was the 800 & 710 this bad??
    Absolutely no one uses their phone like you were doing in that video. My Lumia is buttery smooth and no way do I ever use short fast swipes to make the screen act like it did on that video. I'm sure you can find an exploit to make any device run funny. How about posting a video with long strokes like everyone else does? Sheer ridiculousness.

Worst thread in the history of wpcentral :rolleyes:
    Cyan Nokia Lumia 900

Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post

Stop acting like people are trying to attack the phone. If it has a problem, then it has a problem. No phone is perfect. smh
    Poll Problems Or No Problems

Just to set the record straight, I'm not defending the phone as perfect. I completely agree with you--if it has issues, let's make sure Nokia, AT&T, and MS knows about them. At the same time, we can't come across as overly negative either. It's a balancing act, but a necessary one if we claim to be champions of any particular OS or phone.

Nokia wants feedback on the Lumia 900--I signed up to give it to them and this is something I will try to comment on if given the chance.
  14. Los

ATT admitted to wanting to hold the Lumia 900 release for tango cause it has features on it they want but they released it anyway. Tango is not that far off, I'd say it should be out sometime in May/June. All the other updates only been bug fixes. I think ATT rather push out those bug fixes with bigger updates that have added features like tango than pushing out a bunch of small updates. So it seems the carriers are holding off on small fixes and waiting for bigger updates with more features. So I wouldn't worry about tango not being pushed, ATT wants those MMS features

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    Absolutely no one uses their phone like you were doing in that video. My Lumia is buttery smooth and no way do I ever use short fast swipes to make the screen act like it did on that video. I'm sure you can find an exploit to make any device run funny. How about posting a video with long strokes like everyone else does? Sheer ridiculousness.

Worst thread in the history of wpcentral :rolleyes:
    Yes, because everyone uses sweeping long strokes to navigate around apps, games & browser text. I know I myself zip & zoom all over a browser until it just happens to land on the area I want to read.

And why did you feel the need to respond if its the worst thread ever? Just keep your head in the sand. Everything's fine, mate.

The 900 that took 6-7 swipes to go through the default app list was defective. I have almost 250 apps and I can go through the whole thing with 7 or 8. Now there is a slight delay when drawing or moving my finger really fast. But I didn't even notice till I read this thread. Tbh I don't think I've ever used a touch screen device that drew like the lumia 800 that Daniel showed in that vid. I just assumed that all touchscreens were that way. Probably why I didn't even notice.
    Last edited by JPDVM2014; 04-09-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenzeloos View Post
    I'm trying to figure this out my self. My Samsung Focus will zoom with the flick of my thumb, basically two swipes gets me from top to bottom. Now it takes ~4 swipes to do the same. If I use my finger it seems to be the same speed as my Focus. My wrist is a little sore, this phone is heavier then the Focus that's for sure, but way WAY more solid feeling!!!

@JPDVM2014- I share your pain, when I visit Smartphonebetatest.com Flash is needed to show my friends the Nokia commercials from my NL900.
    That's weird. I was able to view the videos on my HD7...

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
    Yes, because everyone uses sweeping long strokes to navigate around apps, games & browser text. I know I myself zip & zoom all over a browser until it just happens to land on the area I want to read.

And why did you feel the need to respond if its the worst thread ever? Just keep your head in the sand. Everything's fine, mate.
    Keep in mind, not everyone has ham hands like you. This thread is nothing short of a troll post with a completely ridiculous video showing a fabricated "issue" Do us all a favor and read more and post less. :rolleyes:
    Cyan Nokia Lumia 900

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Some of the answers here leave me stunned. Yes, it may not be a problem for some people, specially newcomers to WP7, but that doesn't mean it's not there, or that you have to kill the messenger.

I've done peestandingup's test on my Optimus 7, and it follows my tiny movements perfectly. The 800/900 comparison is even more revealing: the 800 follows the finger, the 900 pursues it. Given the lacklustre commitment to WP7 shown by LG, I doubt my phone has got better internals than Nokia efforts, therefore I'm inclined to believe the lag is solvable via a firmware update.

My current contract ends in July. I know I should wait to WP8 phones, but I also know I'm an impatient man with weak willpower, so I'm considering the 900 (I want a 4,3" phone), but if this lag is the norm, the decision is already made, and not by me. Like dead pixels, I know this would annoy the **** out of me, not just for Dodonpachi, but for any future game or app which requires precise movement.

If you don't notice any lag or you don't think it's a biggie, then I'm glad for you, but please respect any contrary opinion. The last thing this fine community needs is a grow in fanboyism running alongside WP7 grow.

Peace & respect.
    trumpet116 likes this.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Thanks ^. And I don't understand it either. As far as I can tell, people know there's a lot riding on the success of this phone & want it to succeed so badly that they're willing to downplay or look over some of its glaring faults.

Yes, every device has its issues. But these are kinda big IMO & clearly effect it's usability. And you can bet if my Titan or Focus had any issues like this that I'd be talking about them too. And the iPhone as well for that matter.

And I agree. Fanboys need not apply. If you don't want to talk about issues & would rather just ignore them, then that's fine & your choice. But don't berate the ones who do. We all want the phone/platform to succeed.

I'm coming from the Arrive and the screen on the 900 is definitely less responsive. I can make a fast movement with my finger and move it 1-1.5 cm before the screen starts to move. This is most definitely NOT normal and is not what I have come to expect from a modern, flagship smartphone. It's really disappointing, actually.

-R

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Yes, every device has its issues. But these are kinda big IMO & clearly effect it's usability. And you can bet if my Titan or Focus had any issues like this that I'd be talking about them too. And the iPhone as well for that matter.
    You don't even own a 900...

Trolls and fanboys talk about issues on products they don't own, that's how it is. Just sayin'. Let the people with more experience with the 900 than "played with 3 in a store" handle the discussion.
    Press it...press it for glory!
    L900W: 8779, warranty replacement from Nokia
    Former: Focus S, Focus

Global Posts
    3,000 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Press for Bacon View Post
    You don't even own a 900...
    Have to agree, the OP seems to be commenting on how bad the 900 is at numerous tasks in several threads yet doesnt own one, and dismisses the comments of those who dont see "his" problems. To date, the perfect, bug free phone is yet to be invented so going on about the 900's bugs, launch issues, camera, etc as if no other phone has bugs is a bit disingenuous.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I am coming from the Omnia 7 and while the screen doesn't scroll quite as fast. It also always loads up the live tiles. On my Omnia 7 it would scroll so fast that I would just have blank live tiles.

For me this doesn't affect usability at all. Still takes the same number of swipes to get to the bottom of my start screen.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Have to agree, the OP seems to be commenting on how bad the 900 is at numerous tasks in several threads yet doesnt own one, and dismisses the comments of those who dont see "his" problems. To date, the perfect, bug free phone is yet to be invented so going on about the 900's bugs, launch issues, camera, etc as if no other phone has bugs is a bit disingenuous.
    Taking bets on what's next--connectivity, screen tint, lack of advertising, or vibrate motor "issues" :P
    Press it...press it for glory!
    L900W: 8779, warranty replacement from Nokia
    Former: Focus S, Focus
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast