Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    This is a welcomed thread for me, and I am glad it was started.

I currently own a N8, and I am on the ATT GoPhone plan ($0.10/min talk with 10MB data pack for $5) and I want to cut my sim down to a micro sim, and purchase the Lumia 900 off contract. But, I just need to be sure that the phone will work properly for me - properly sans 4G, as I don't care about having 4G speeds at this time.

I just want to make sure that I can use my current sim (cut to micro) and not have ATT send me a 'warning' text telling me that I have to sign up for their standard smartphone plans.

Any input and insights are welcomed. Thanks Kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by Residing View Post
    This is a welcomed thread for me, and I am glad it was started.

I currently own a N8, and I am on the ATT GoPhone plan ($0.10/min talk with 10MB data pack for $5) and I want to cut my sim down to a micro sim, and purchase the Lumia 900 off contract. But, I just need to be sure that the phone will work properly for me - properly sans 4G, as I don't care about having 4G speeds at this time.

I just want to make sure that I can use my current sim (cut to micro) and not have ATT send me a 'warning' text telling me that I have to sign up for their standard smartphone plans.

Any input and insights are welcomed. Thanks Kindly.
    I'll be trying the gophone sim tomorrow when my 900 arrives. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ji37 View Post
    I'll be trying the gophone sim tomorrow when my 900 arrives. I'll let you know how it goes.
    900 arrived today. yikes, a tremendous device. i tried to cut down a sim card out of a cheapie cellphone i was using for my gophone account. didn't work, so i took the 900 to an att store, and they hooked me up with an LTE compatible microsim that works in the 900. the fella configed it to work with the 900 and my existing phone number and gophone account.

I am happy, albeit somewhat confused tonight.

I was going to write about how the Nokia update patch did not fix the problem I was having running Bing using 4G data with Straight Talk and how I was now going to have to take the 900 back and get an Android....

But I don't know what happened but now it all works! In desperation I went back into the APN settings and deleted the Proxy server/URL entry as well as the Proxy Port entry (I tried this before, but it killed the data access). I then rebooted the phone and the phone went into Edge data. :( Bing then worked. But then, a few minutes later, 4G kicked in! And Bing still worked!!!!!!! Phew!!!!!!!!

The only other thing I can think of is that I also got an email from AT&T this evening telling me how my "iPhone" was determined eligible for unlocking by AT&T and how I needed to do a bunch of steps to back up my "iPhone" and reboot it to unlock it. So perhaps my phone is technically now unlocked. I have no clue.

But at least now my 900 gets 4G + Bing works. Still NO access to MMS messaging, and still NO Nokia connections app is listed in Marketplace to allow changing the MMS settings, but still half the battle with this phone is done.

So, in short, my APN settings for Straight Talk are now:

1.) APN = "att.mvno"
    2.) User Name = (left blank)
    3.) Password = (left blank)
    4.) Proxy Server = (left blank)
    5.) Proxy Port = (left blank)

My proxy server previously was "proxy.mvno.tracfone.com" as per ST's instructions, and the Proxy Port was "80", but I deleted these two and now Bing works properly and I can still get 4G.

Good to hear, hyperlexis. The settings you posted work for all AT&T MVNOs. I have the same settings for my Red Pocket account.

As for MMS, as one last desperate effort, I made an appointment with Nokia SmartStart to see what they could do. They called and I asked if there was any way they could perhaps send the correct MMS settings straight to my phone, since they have the serial number. No dice. The associate said the only way to do that is through the Network Setup app and she had no information as to why it was taken down or when it would be back up. :(

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ji37 View Post
    900 arrived today. yikes, a tremendous device. i tried to cut down a sim card out of a cheapie cellphone i was using for my gophone account. didn't work, so i took the 900 to an att store, and they hooked me up with an LTE compatible microsim that works in the 900. the fella configed it to work with the 900 and my existing phone number and gophone account.
    Thank you for the feedback, ji37!

I will inquire about the configuration aspect. Not sure if you have the same GoPhone plan as I do, but if they can set me up on the per minute plan, and $5 data package plan for the L900, that would be superb. I'll reserve my excitement though, given that the no committment phone policy states on their website that GoPhone plans can't be used.

Thanks again.

OK does anyone know anything about this issue re MVNO service: -- there was another post online explaining how AT&T's default setting for BYO handsets is for 3G data, even if the handset is actually a 4G handset. So, therefore, if you bring an unlocked 4G phone to AT&T off-contract, not purchased at an AT&T store, you must call ATT and give them the IMEI number to make sure you are getting the fastest 4G speeds available in your area. AT&T will change their settings from 3G to 4G for data going to the phone. A lot of people with iPhones are facing this problem.

That said, does the same isseue apply to MVNOs, specifically Straight Talk which operates using AT&T's equipment? Does ST need to be told I have a 4G handset so they can set the data speeds on their end at a higher rate for 4G? (The ST operator I spoke with was clueless). My 900 is showing the icon for 4G service using my ST SIM. I am getting from 1.0 to 5.2 mbps download speeds. Is that what a normal AT&T HSPA+ service offers or is this abnormally low? (I am coming from my old 3G service so I'm not familiar with HSPA normal speeds). Does this indicate I have true HSPA+ '4G' under AT&T or does it sound like it's really just 3G speeds?

I called AT&T and they said they didn't know and to talk to ST. ST, of course, knows nothing.

What's the real story?

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    Depends on Area Coverage of course.

I get 1 to 2mb down over Cell Data on my Focus Flash and I am on NET10 AT&T SIM (same service has straighttalk) so 3g

But I have everything working including MMS because I have wireless manager and was able to change my APN Settings and MMS..
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Press for Bacon View Post
    Once the connection manager thing returns, you can edit the "active network" to ATT 3G...that will make Bing work over cellular data as ATT's native LTE or 4G settings don't work.
    Looks like Nokia Network Profile apps is set to be re released Soon..So hopefully everyone can get their Lumia working correctly on Net10/Straighttalk/RedPocket/Jolt etc..

From Nokia Support Discussions maybe a few more days.

if not complain in that thread (now if htc would get off it **** and fix their's)
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Corepc View Post
    Looks like Nokia Network Profile apps is set to be re released Soon..So hopefully everyone can get their Lumia working correctly on Net10/Straighttalk/RedPocket/Jolt etc..

From Nokia Support Discussions maybe a few more days.

if not complain in that thread (now if htc would get off it **** and fix their's)

Awsome news. I returned mine back in may because this was missing, and a rep told me it wasnt coming back.

Once this is re-released I will look into picking up a lumia again. ( I miss it).

although i use h20 wireless, this meathod was made for ST.

How to set up Straight Talk MMS & Data with Nokia Network Setup app on Lumia 900 | StraightTalkWindows.com

just follow the directions and BE SURE TO FOLLOW STEP NUMBER 8!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12