Question for owners: Would you recommend this phone?

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to sign another 3 years here in Canada and I'm interested in getting the Lumia 900. I've always loved Windows Phone 7, and with the Mango release, I feel it's one of the best OS' on the market. I've been checking these forums daily for issues with the phone, and a few people have been making threads about bugs and issues they've been experiencing. After buying the phone and finding these issues, would you still recommend the phone to someone?

There's a few things I'm worried/iffy about:

- People have been saying there's bleeding from the capacitive buttons onto the screen. How bad is it? Can someone please make a YouTube video showing this?
- Is the phone smooth? Any lag when scrolling? People keep complaining about the screen not responding as quick as it should be, or scroll as smoothly as it should be
- I read 1 thread where a user reported the screen pushing into the phone when pressing down on it. Has this happened with your phone?

Thanks!!

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to sign another 3 years here in Canada and I'm interested in getting the Lumia 900. I've always loved Windows Phone 7, and with the Mango release, I feel it's one of the best OS' on the market. I've been checking these forums daily for issues with the phone, and a few people have been making threads about bugs and issues they've been experiencing. After buying the phone and finding these issues, would you still recommend the phone to someone?

- People have been saying there's bleeding from the capacitive buttons onto the screen. How bad is it? Can someone please make a YouTube video showing this?
- Is the phone smooth? Any lag when scrolling? People keep complaining about the screen not responding as quick as it should be, or scroll as smoothly as it should be
- I read 1 thread where a user reported the screen pushing into the phone when pressing down on it. Has this happened with your phone?

Thanks!!
1...I currently have no issue with any light bleed at all.
2...My screen has no play at all either, it is very tight.
3 the so called "lag" isn't lag in the android sense of stuttering and choppy animation, It is the general speed of movement of the tiles and app menu when swiped....some people think it's slow but it works great for me...it's more of a personal preference than lag..I am perfectly content with the flow of the device

BUT....I currently have the random data loss issue that is now being covered by just about every tech blog out there....I'm sure the data bug will get fixed

in the end my opinion is that this is a fantastic phone and I bet within a week the whole data bug thing will be resolved...Buy it...it's great.:D

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!!
If those are your 3 issues - then there's nothing to worry about. :) I don't have either 3 of those issues on my Lumia 900.

The one issue I DO have is the so-so camera quality. I went from an HTC Titan -> Lumia 900, and the Titan had a brilliant camera - so my expectations were high. But aside from Camera, the Lumia 900 is slick.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I would absolutely 100% recommend the Lumia 900. It's an absolutely awesome device. Don't listen to the OCD as there will always be those who need to find something to complain about.

RockPaperBFG

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
No light bleeding from the buttons on my 900 either.

I am coming from a Samsung Focus and I didn't notice any slowness in the scrolling and switching from that phone it is supposed to be the most noticeable. I don't see anything. It just seems smooth.

I have no data issues at all.

I honestly love Windows Phones and have since I switched from Android. The Lumia 900 is the best I have seen, so I would highly recommend it.

commops7

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend it, but after 4 days of ownership in bright sun today, I noticed a blue tint in the glass ..... <little weird> --- but no other complaints accept SIM issues recently resolved.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

Just a few more questions/concerns:

- How bad is the vibrate on this phone? I like a vibrate to be nice and loud so I can notice it, but people have been saying the vibrate is low and sounds awful (not sure how it sounds bad?)

- How is the power button being on the side? Is it accessible easily?

- When you tap the back of the phone do you hear a rattle noise?

- I've been reading posts by users saying the 3 capacitive touch buttons have a brown/green colour to them instead of being white. Is this true?

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

Just a few more questions/concerns:

- How bad is the vibrate on this phone? I like a vibrate to be nice and loud so I can notice it, but people have been saying the vibrate is low and sounds awful (not sure how it sounds bad?)

- How is the power button being on the side? Is it accessible easily?

- When you tap the back of the phone do you hear a rattle noise?

- I've been reading posts by users saying the 3 capacitive touch buttons have a brown/green colour to them instead of being white. Is this true?
-the vibrate is fine to me..loud enough
-I like the side button more...it took me about a day to get used to it and now I think it is a superior place for a 4.3" screen phone
-the rattle you've read about is the autofocus lens shaking...it is supposed to shake a bit. My BlackBerry 9810 has the same rattle and s even though it isnt as noticeable my Samsung skyrocket has the rattle too. It is normal.
-the capacitive buttons are not pure white..they do have a slight tint to them....I myself dont care...they look fine.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Vibrate is a little higher pitched than on my Surround. Its been described as sounding like an old electric razor. I felt it easily today while my L900 was in a horizontal belt case.

The capacitive buttons a somewhat off white as opposed to pure bright white. Not sure of why, but the backlit buttons turn off after 5 seconds of inactivity so don't get that long to focus on them. Have also not seen any light bleed.

No lag. Feels about the same as my Surround which I used for 17 months.

No rattles, squeaks or mushy spots on the phone. Very solid build. Even after looking at the Titan II today, and regardless of cost, I would still get the L900. An incredible camera is not that important to me. In fact I would reduce my L900 res to 5MP if I could (2, 3, 7 & 8 are only options). So that's not a big selling point for me.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
One more Q- I read a thread where people were saying the WiFi drops out on this phone when put to sleep. Is this true? Aside from when the phone is asleep, when using the phone, does the WiFi ever drop out?

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
One more Q- I read a thread where people were saying the WiFi drops out on this phone when put to sleep. Is this true? Aside from when the phone is asleep, when using the phone, does the WiFi ever drop out?

I'm new to WM7 so I don't know if this is suppose to happen, but it does seem that the phone does turn off WIFI when the phone is asleep. When I wake it up, I can clearly see my WIFI bars reconnecting to my wifi network.

My phone has not had any data connection problems when in use, WIFI or LTE/HSPA+.

elvisff

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
WP7 phones have always dropped out wifi after they have been asleep for a certain period of time. As for wifi issues... I have had my 900 keep my wifi signal but reduce my bandwidth to nothing a couple of times over the last 4 days. Cycling the wifi toggle (pinned to my home screen) fixed the problem immediately.

As for the other questions. The phone is built solid.. not creaking or rattles for me. No light bleed to capacitive buttons, no dead pixels, no lag, screen is very responsive, vibrate is loud (old electric razor sound is very appropriate), and i would recommend it in a heartbeat.

I have a feeling any major firmware problems will get fixed quickly as MS, Nokia, and AT&T have a lot riding on the success of this phone.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
no bleed on my buttons/screen either.

phone body is solid

the buttons on the side are well placed and have a good feel to them (not easy to push by accident, but have good feedback when you are trying to use them)

the capacitive buttons aren't pure white, they are dimmer, could be to save battery, but it's something that doesn't look bad just something you get used to.

the vibrate is higher pitched than what i'm used to, but it has a good strength and isn't too loud which is nice

wifi turning off during sleep is a design choice for wp7, it's meant to do that. i'm not sure what it does specifically for data, but it does seem to go into some kind of lower power state for the radios to save battery. since programs aren't allowed to run in the backgound to update however they feel like (wp has a specific set of rules regarding background updates) i wouldn't worry about it even if it does completely d/c from wifi. personally i use on average 1/3 the amount of data compared to what i used on my iphone/android handsets.

i would rec the phone to anyone who doesn't want to constantly tinker with their phone, have any apps that they absolutely need that aren't on wp and are niche to the point that they might not be there for a long time, or aren't too heavily invested in a different ecosystem and don't fee like starting over.

personally, i don't think i've liked a phone this much since my first blackberry back in 2006.

camera is pretty good if you tweak the settings a bit too.

chrise2

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
3 Year contract? Harsh. If you think this is the phone for you, just get it. You can always return it. (Maybe check on that because I know nothing of Canada). Most of us have only used it for a few days. So far, I think its awesome, but as I've only been using it for a few days I can't recommend others getting it yet. I'm not not recommending it either. I just like to give myself a couple of weeks before recommending one way or another. At first glance, the device itself is awesome. The camera is quirky, but I haven't spent that much time futzing with it yet. I really like Windows Phone OS. Its so clean and slick but I am finding some limitations that it either can't do or I haven't figured out how to do yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)