Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    You have to look at these smartphone cameras for what they are. I can count on one hand all the pics I have shot with my HD7. The quality in any light is horrid at best.
    There are smartphone cameras on many Android phones and the iPhone (and some WP7 phones!) that are fully functionally, high-quality cameras capable of taking excellent photos in good light, and pretty acceptable ones in low light. It's rank apologism to try to suggest that smartphone cameras haven't gotten frankly excellent.
    There is numerous pre-release reviews of that camera, err phone, and it's faults. Can you show me where Nokia stated the Lumia series has class beating cameras? If you want a great camera buy the Titan II and deal with the crappy screen or the Nokia PureView. It's all in what you're prepared to bleed for. I would rather have the Nokia quality over the half-assed attempt that is the Titan II. That phone is an incremental upgrade, over the Titan, at best. Add to the fact it is twice the price of the L900. I don't see you're getting twice the value versus the 900.

Judging buy what I see most people posting on facebook, most cell cameras are rubbish anyway. My friend has an iPhone 4s and she posts pics all day long that look like utter garbage shot on an 5 mega-pixel camera.
    sorry but the screen on the titan 2 is not crappy ,nor is it half assed. It's a better device than the 900 in my opinion based on the SRS enhancements alone.

If you bought this phone only for the camera then you did yourself a great disservice.
    A couple things here.
    First, I think I know a few things about what I'm talking about and whatever it is you're describing has nothing to do with me. In case you are in need of the truth, I bought this phone in particular for a number of reasons, the camera lens being among them.
    I'm a hunter. At least I was at one time. The scopes I used on my rifles are made by Carl Zeiss. Some of the best optics for scopes. This phone was sold based on the lens made by Carl Zeiss. How in the blazes was I to expect Nokia to destroy this lens? Now, after this side show, do you have anything that might help me out of this funk I'm in or are you here to promote yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    exactly! People don't seem to do thier research before buying their device. Its not news that the Lumia 900 camera is not the brst. We that know, knew this way before we purchased our device. Those who didn't write threads abot this problem and complain as to why the camera isn't that great. I personally wish the camera was better but it's not a deal breaker by any means. To the OP: next time do your homework, you'll be less disappointed.
    Show me articles where this camera did not take great photos. I need dated articles prior to ANY blogger review on the subject of the Nokia 900 Carl Zeiss lens. If you cannot do that, thank you for your OPINION of what homework you assume I did not do.

I don't have my 900 yet, but I'm wondering if it's a software issue with the camera. I'm hoping that they will tweak the camera a little bit in the very near future.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    OK, so 2 posts I see from you *****ing about this phone, take the damn thing back and get something else. We know now you're not happy, no need to hog up the board with multiple threads that go on about the same topics.

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    I've found doing auto-fix actually makes just about all the pictures better. In my opinion anyway, they're already good enough for me.

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    A couple things here.
    First, I think I know a few things about what I'm talking about and whatever it is you're describing has nothing to do with me. In case you are in need of the truth, I bought this phone in particular for a number of reasons, the camera lens being among them.
    I'm a hunter. At least I was at one time. The scopes I used on my rifles are made by Carl Zeiss. Some of the best optics for scopes. This phone was sold based on the lens made by Carl Zeiss. How in the blazes was I to expect Nokia to destroy this lens? Now, after this side show, do you have anything that might help me out of this funk I'm in or are you here to promote yourself?
    Return it and get your money back. Problem solved. There is an massive difference between the optics on a weapon scope that costs hundreds of dollars AND is sold for the optics alone and an $.01 phone. It's best to vote with your wallet. Making complaints here isn't going to fix your camera problems.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    The camera is about as good as an iphone 3g. it in no way comes close to measuring up to the iphone 4s or the galaxy s2. it is slow, grainy, etc. even the file size is compressed to the hilt resembling at best a 5 MP camera. I feel it unfair to say this is a camera phone so dont expect much better. My iphone 4s is a phone that takes pictures at 8MP, but they are roughly twice as good. I really wanted this nokia to live up to the hype. now i feel its a lemon when you couple the camera issues with the data, with the laggy third party apps, etc. On paper and in most reviews it seems amazing, but now i understand why some gave it poor reviews at release.

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts
    Regardless of who made the lens if the electronics driving the lens are low grade the image will be as well. If Nokia feels it's enough of a problem they will fix it(see battery issues, camera on the 800, etc.). It's likely fixed with an firmware upgrade. The first SSD I bought was a dog and with one firmware upgrade it was killin' the competition.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...

Just my $.02, but I have noticed that if there is anything bright in a photo, everything will look washed out. I took a picture of my desk and if I focus on my black keyboard, everything is washed out/yellow. If I focus on the light blue post-it that is just slightly reflecting the lights, the colors are perfect. I would post the two shots if I could, but I can't get to them on my work computer.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Welve View Post
    aside from my desire to clean your desk...

I see the difference, everything looks super illuminated, like the ISO is way off or something...Take it to an AT&T store, I am a big fan of taking things back if they don't work how I want them to.
    Our OCD is our own worst enemy, huh? The cleaning of the desk. Been there done that.

Global Posts
    3,001 Global Posts
    i also agree that is has to do with the light metering of the sensor as well as ISO settings, as tweaking them will produce great results almost every time.

while a BIS would be really nice, i think the actual hardware for this camera is good, it's just firmware and software tweaking that is necessary on nokia's part that is needed.

Global Posts
    2,186 Global Posts
    That's why they sell digital cameras, I never expect quality pics from a phone.
    Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. Romans 13:8

Looking at some sample pictures I've seen, it seems like the default camera settings are poorly set.
    Being a borderline professional photographer and a bit of a camera nerd I would say:
    For certain it has nothing to do with the lens.
    Unlikely it has anything to do with the sensor.
    Problems are with the default camera settings and post processing settings.
    I would be suprised if Nokia did not improve the settings with a simple patch.

It seems that most common problem is simply over exposure.
    Setting -0,5 or 1 EV would help.
    Some nights shots that I'ave seen are really noisy (grainy) and very cold (blue) in color.
    Setting ISO low helps with the noise. (f 2,2 lens and steady hand and your pictures should be sharp enough most cases)

Poor white balance is the the weak point of most digital cameras. Manual settings or photoshop helps. :)

OP's picture is poor for judging camera performance.
    Lighting that random produces random photos with any camera.

Edit.
    Some of pictures are looking really good though, so I'm not exactly sure if there is any real problem.
    Last edited by vantil; 04-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Jeez....my pictures seem to come out great. I don't notice any difference between the 900 camera and the iPhone.

To be honest I'm a bit sick of hearing about how the iPhone 8 megapixel camera is somehow the end all be all of camera technology. It is good...but in my experience it is no better than my skyrocket or my 900...they're all equally acceptable. I was able to take great pictures that are hung on my wall using a Helio Ocean ...and that camera was no where near as good as any of these current crop.

Sometimes I think our expectations may be a bit too high.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Is no one else seeing the giant pink circle in the center of their photos? I've tried adjusting settings but can't get rid of it.

I can definitely tell the difference between iPhone 4 and Lumia 900 photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_000006.jpg  

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    There is a problem with the camera. I took a picture of very light pink flowers and they came out the color of this smilie :mad:
    Anyway, the white balance is way off, color reproduction under low light is off, a yellow tint is visible when shooting something white, and the auto correct sometimes washed the pictures out (but general does a good job), and the macro can not handle small targets (does well with larger targets (flowers, etc))
    Now, the camera takes great detail and preforms well in natural light, but under any other circumstance is not very good. This will be fixed with a software update I'm sure. Until then, using a photo editing app to make the pictures look great.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I haven't noticed the yellow tint but many people are complaining about it. Is it from the amoled screen or is it on the picture itself? Is the yellow still there when looking at the photos on a PC?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I agree that yellowish is what my Samsung focus showed on the screen but when transferring to a PC the white was pretty accurate. I did a side by side of the display of my old Focus with the 900 and the 900 white is pretty white. I still will only edit photos on the PC since you really can't trust phone displays.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    Show me articles where this camera did not take great photos. I need dated articles prior to ANY blogger review on the subject of the Nokia 900 Carl Zeiss lens. If you cannot do that, thank you for your OPINION of what homework you assume I did not do.
    I'll be honest with you , every review i have read prior to buying one myself talked about a subpar camera. The camera lacks a back light so low light conditions are a problem , that is what people are talking about. However in your case it seems its high light issues . Me personally i did not buy it for the camera , i hardly take photos to begin with . But i understand your scenario. Carl zeiss is Carl zeiss , should have been better.
    Thanked by:
    Jazmac 

Quote Originally Posted by arcanetribe View Post
    Is no one else seeing the giant pink circle in the center of their photos? I've tried adjusting settings but can't get rid of it.

I can definitely tell the difference between iPhone 4 and Lumia 900 photos.
    I can see it. There are issues with this phone's camera. I just dont see tossing and otherwise good device overboard because a few handle there problems by keeping it quiet. I get great support here. For those that rather not get involved should step from the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic View Post
    What are the chances a simple update on the software can make this camera go from crap to amazing?
    Very slim, unfortunately. The issue here that makes the titan camera good and the 900 not so much is the sensor itself. You see the titan, like the iPhone 4s, uses a BSI (back-side illumination) sensor, whereas the 800/900 uses a FSI (you guessed it; front-side illumination) sensor. BSI sensors have far-better low-light performance.

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    If you want the camera, get the titan II

I don't have any issues with my 900. none of them. No rattle. Nota. But over all photo quality is a bit crappy. nota going to lie
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast