- 04-12-2012, 12:27 AM #1
I just ordered my Lumia 900 from Amazon. Will be here on Friday.:)
Now, what are the must have Apps (free or paid)? I need:
RSS Feed Reader
Stock / Bloomberg
Real Time Flight Check (Blackberry Travel type)
And many other productivity stuffs. I don't need Twiter/Facebook stuffs.
What apps are your favorit?
04-12-2012, 02:35 AM #5
- 279 Posts
I'm still trying different ones, but couple keepers are:
I'll have to look at the other weather apps, but I think WeatherLive is great, even if it loads slowly. The tile is a little dull, but it has lots of features once loaded. The local webcams are neat.
I have my iGoogle page pinned to the start screen which serves as my IE "app."
- 04-12-2012, 05:20 AM #6
I am completely new to Windows Phone. I use Blackberry. Advanced call manager Apps are very useful. They block unwanted calls and SMS without bothering you. When you get a junk call/SMS, just add it to the app's Blacklist and it will automatically block any further massge frm those numbers. These are called Advanced Call Manager apps. I am sure there are many for Windows Phones, but like all apps, I am looking for suggestion for the best. In Blackberry, DDM (Don't Disturb Me) is one of the most popular call manager (in Symbian, it was Nokia Advanced Call Manager or Handy Blacklist).
Anyone recommend a good one for Lumia 900?
- 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM #8
Weather - Weather channel app is nice, my personal fav so far.
Stocks - MyStocks -Live Tile updates, holdings, portfolios. Decent, free, but it does display ads but they are not too intrusive.
RSS - Using and like Pulse. Used on my Android device and it is good. Also give Newsy a look. More video but they summarize reports from several sources. It is more TV type news but they do a decent job.
I am new to Windows Phone as well, so these are my picks after about a week with the phone so far. I am sure others with more experience might have better suggestions.
- 04-12-2012, 09:11 AM #9
If you need a pure google news reader, I can recommend WonderReader. The live tile isn't great, but I like the interface and it can send to Instapaper or Read-it-Later. Speaking of Instapaper, if you have a paid subscription, InstapaperStacks app seems like it works well.
04-12-2012, 09:31 AM #10
- 124 Posts
RSS Feed - I use Wonder Reader. Not free but it's the best Google Reader client that I have used.
I also recommend...
AppDeals - Great for finding apps that go free.
AppFlow - Great for discovering new apps.
ArkWords- all around dictionary/thesaurus/translator app.
iHeartRado - Just starting using and I'm very impressed. Has custom stations and real radio stations.
MixTapes - Great for users of 8tracks.com.
Network Dashboard - a must for easy access to WiFi
SkyWallet - Great app for storing passwords and important things. Backs up to your skydrive.
Stop the Music- Want to get rid of that last track or podcast from showing up on the volume screen. Use this app.
YouTube Pro- best youtube app.
Thumba Cam and Thumba Photo Editor- excellent photo apps.
- 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM #11
- Fandango (for local movie times and related things.)
- 4th & Mayor or the Offical 4square app (for 4square)
- Facebook (I don't personally use it much because of the me tile)
- Weather Channel or AccuWeather
- Flashlight XT (very good very clean app for use of the LED)
- Xbox Compaion (if you have an xbox)
- Tunin Radio (probably the best radio app)
- Fhotoroom (give very good effects to pictures)
- Creative Studio (it's in the nokia collection, takes panoramic shots very well)
- Nokia Drive (personal gps, has offline maps)
- CNN (it's in the nokia collection)
- Shop Savvy or Red Laser (comparison shoppin apps)
- Open Table (reserve seats at resturants while on the go)
- Sketch Free (turn your photos into sketches)
- Wpcentral app
- Calculator Toolbox Free
- GasBuddy (helps finding gas and gas prices)
- Skype (beta)
- Youtube Pro
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM #14
- 414 Posts
Great List so far. I would add:
* Open Table (for reservations)
* SkyManager (easier to manage skydrive)
* WPCentral (great source for Window Phone information)
* ReversePhoneLookup (enough said)
* Ask Ziggy (Seri knockoff. Doesn't work as well but sometimes it shuts up iphone
4s owners when that brag about Seri)
04-12-2012, 10:52 AM #16
- 1,798 Posts
Nice list. As far as weather apps go, I like Accuweather because the live tile also shows you the forecasted high/low, not just the current temperature like most weather apps.
I'll add these:
Allrecipes (has great little features in addition to just looking up recipes. The "Dinner Spinner" feature will suggest dishes for you based on input from you.)
Tango (for video calls)
WhatsApp (for cross-platform SMS and MMS)
- 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM #24