Did I make a mistake buying this phone?

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
First, let me say up front that I love this phone and Windows Phone 7. Beautiful hardware and an awesome OS. Dont regret either one of them.

What is scaring me is all the doom and gloom around Windows Phone 7 in general and Nokia in particular. Just very worried that it wont catch on and that both will falter/go out of business.

It would be an immense shame if that happened and I really hope it doesnt.

Come on guys, cheer me up here. Convince me that Windows Phone 7 and Nokia will be here for the long haul!

Eject_Porkins

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to think both are in it for the long haul. Hopefully we'll start to see some leaks of Windows Phone 8 soon. I would definitely recommend sticking around until you see WP8 firsthand. Hopefully it'll blow everyone away with its excellence.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Nokia has been around since 1871 (in some ways since 1865) and both they and Microsoft have very deep pockets. Microsoft isn't going to let this fail, mobile computing is the future and they want a piece of that.

These phones are selling like hotcakes right now, #1 (black) and #2 (cyan) on amazon.com - Amazon has been a great predictor for the successes and failures of mobile phones (see here: No Denying Strong Lumia Debut at AT&T - Forbes). I wouldn't worry about it, I think we're at the beginning of a strong rise in the ranks for windows phone.

Also, if you're not familiar with the story of the xbox you might want to take a look at that as an indicator of where windows phone is going - when Microsoft wants a piece of a market it will do what it takes to get it.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft go out of business? :p. Don't worry about that happening anytime soon. Or are you worried they'll just give up on the smartphone market? Fat chance of that anytime soon either.

Just stop worrying and enjoy your phone! Enjoy having a unique device that's more beautiful than any of the others out there. Leave the worry to people who are paid to worry about it full time.

My Nokia stock is a different story :p

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Think of this way, essentially, your phone is free after the $100 credit if you bought on contract...what do you have to lose? other than getting locked into a contract.

They will continue support wp7 (assuming) until everything completely moves to wp8 which wont be till 2013.

If wp doesnt work out, you got a free phone :)

For me, im not afraid of the phone being obsolete...i knew the risk coming in and i decided to take a chance. If it doesnt work out, ill go get an iphone...i was an iphone user previously anyway.

I read a lot of articles referencing WebOs and how people like that OS and it failed, the problem with Webos was their OS was too similar to iOS/Droid, but at the same time, difficult for the average person to understand the gestures. The worst part was their hardware was such a piece of crap...If your phones are laggy out of the box, your phones are going to suck.

WP7 is different, the hardware is good enough to have the OS be a smooth and simple experience and it is different from the rest.

P.S. MS is not giong anywhere...

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Are you serious??? Microsoft is a Cash COW and it has a HUGE stake in Nokia. So, it has the backing. Now Nokia is known for their mobile market share especially due to their product design.

Now IMHO, Microsoft is going in the direction where it's trying to seamlessly get the WP and Windows echo system together with Windows 8. Once that is done, it's very lucrative to the App developers since the existing apps are going to work on Windows 8. And don't forget the Xbox integration...

Also, Apollo is going to get a heap of new features along with the beef up hardware support that folks keep complaining WP lacks.

With all this in place, do your care about Nokia's future... If not them, someone else is going to make the hardware.. but I would hope Nokia is serious.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
First, let me say up front that I love this phone and Windows Phone 7. Beautiful hardware and an awesome OS. Dont regret either one of them.

What is scaring me is all the doom and gloom around Windows Phone 7 in general and Nokia in particular. Just very worried that it wont catch on and that both will falter/go out of business.

It would be an immense shame if that happened and I really hope it doesnt.

Come on guys, cheer me up here. Convince me that Windows Phone 7 and Nokia will be here for the long haul!

Remember the Xbox, the little game system that could. No one that it would survive, but it did and now it's going strong. Microsoft has deep pockets and won't give up any time soon.

As far as Nokia goes, I think a lot of people are disappointed that Nokia's first US device didn't blow the competition away, nevertheless, the Lumia 900 is still a great phone.

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
You guys rock! That's just what I needed to hear.

I will go back to enjoying my kick *** L900...

I do agree that the mobile market is way to important and the MS cant afford to fail there.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Remember the Xbox, the little game system that could. No one that it would survive, but it did and now it's going strong. Microsoft has deep pockets and won't give up any time soon.

As far as Nokia goes, I think a lot of people are disappointed that Nokia's first US device didn't blow the competition away, nevertheless, the Lumia 900 is still a great phone.

To Piggy back on this...Keep in mind that the xbox division was losing millions of dollars for years and on top of that, had a $1 billion charge off for the RROD fiasco.

Now they are the #1 selling console in 2011 with momentum still going. Probably wont reach Wii levels, but can distance themselves ahead of Playstation.

This all didnt happen in a year, this happened over 7 years since the 360 released and 10 years since the first xbox. MS is giong to invest heavily in the mobile market to integrate all into windows 8, may not be this or next or even three years from now until they are a major player, but you know that they are in it for the long haul.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
No offense to the OP, but why do people need justification AFTER the fact? There is more than enough information here to ask questions prior and see other's experiences. Why pose questions about if you made a mistake after you've already bought it? Just seems like you need some ego stroking to make you feel better about your decision. Also, you're on a Windows Phone forum; specifically one dedicated to the phone you just bought. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is going to be people rooting for you to keep it. Its just common sense when you look at the bigger picture. Now, ask the same question on an iOS or Android forum and yeah, the haters will tell you that you made a poor decision.

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I never count MS out. They may have blunders like the Zune devices (which were great but too little too late) and the Kin, but they just keep moving forward. Balmer is a salesman so he can't stop. The company itself, has plenty of cash and a lot of intelligent people to keep pushing great products and services. Xbox, Kinect, Office, Windows and their enterprise products are all examples of the success they achieve when they stay focused. Windows Phone won't be any different. They just need a better marketing strategy. I bought my mom an iPhone 4S a week ago and she loves it but she's in awe everytime she sees my Lumia 900. I don't put much stock in bloggers and reviewers who expect tomorrow's phones to be available now. Every platform will evolve bit you really have to ask who has the more promising future? iOS has been the same (generally speaking in terms of the UI) for the past 5 years. Do you expect radical evolution from them? Android is going in so many places at once that millions get left behind. Would you really want to invest in their platform? RIM has been trying to evolve without abandoning their enterprise customers so much that they're the Windows XP of mobile platforms, good and reliable but not getting any better. I put my faith in WP7 not because I'm a ****** but because they make a compelling product. They may have been slow out of the gate but they made sure the UX is relentlessly smooth, there is a bare minimum of hardware and features you can rely on to power the experience, there is consistency among devices and each new iteration not only moves the platform closer to the mainstream consumer but that it's not as a result of sacrificing any of the previous things I mentioned. I've used every major platform and they all seem to be driven by apps or a core function/feature. After a while I got tired of apps and just wished that the phone itself could do more. In my opinion WPx is the only answer right now. I still enjoy iOS and Android and know that they deserve to be numbers 1 and 2. I think they're great platforms but I feel like MS has more of options to enhance WP because they created such a great foundation. They've set the expectation and all the things that makes the other platforms strong will eventually be incorporated into what we already enjoy about WP. To me that is a huge advantage if they can capitalize on it.

Last edited:

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
As long as Office, Xbox and Windows OS (PC) continue to sell well, Microsoft will be able to dump money into making WindowsPhone successful. It will be interesting to see how the next version of Windows for the PC does with some people not liking the Metro UI. As that money gets sent down to windowsphone continued development. I'm waiting for the white 900 and for the next couple of years no one should be worrying about MS's commitment to WP. But if Windows 8 isnt a big success for the PC and tablet market then it might give some people pause.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
No offense to the OP, but why do people need justification AFTER the fact? There is more than enough information here to ask questions prior and see other's experiences. Why pose questions about if you made a mistake after you've already bought it? Just seems like you need some ego stroking to make you feel better about your decision. Also, you're on a Windows Phone forum; specifically one dedicated to the phone you just bought. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is going to be people rooting for you to keep it. Its just common sense when you look at the bigger picture. Now, ask the same question on an iOS or Android forum and yeah, the haters will tell you that you made a poor decision.

Yeah I see this too many times on different forums. It rubs me the wrong way when new members/customers, AFTER the fact, tell people to convince them that they made the right decision. That's something that only you and your perference can work out. As far as either company being phased out, highly unlikely being that Microsoft basically bought Nokia and Microsoft has hands in everything.

jimmyjunk30

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I see this too many times on different forums. It rubs me the wrong way when new members/customers, AFTER the fact, tell people to convince them that they made the right decision. That's something that only you and your perference can work out. As far as either company being phased out, highly unlikely being that Microsoft basically bought Nokia and Microsoft has hands in everything.

And with all due respect to you, I think you are misreading what I wrote.

I did extensive research on windows phone before buying it and had no doubt that I would love it. I am in no way asking anyone to convince me to love WP 7 and my Lumia, I already love them both.

My concern, as I stated, is that the OS will not catch on. That is not something that I could determine before buying the phone, hence why I started this thread to hear input from my fellow WP fans.

Thanks for your comments though!

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
And with all due respect to you, I think you are misreading what I wrote.

I did extensive research on windows phone before buying it and had no doubt that I would love it. I am in no way asking anyone to convince me to love WP 7 and my Lumia, I already love them both.

My concern, as I stated, is that the OS will not catch on. That is not something that I could determine before buying the phone, hence why I started this thread to hear input from my fellow WP fans.

Thanks for your comments though!

Then that means you're asking someone to predict the future. It takes faith and trust in what you purchased to keep the interest. How about instead of questioning the future, you champion it? I don't even have the phone yet, and that's what I do daily on my Facebook and Twitter pages. I WANT this OS to be a success so instead of questioning every little bit of negative info I read on here, I accept it as a growing pain and move forward and try to gain general interest in the product. I did the same with Android and I'm going to do the same with Windows Phone.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

This thread should have ended with this post.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
As long as Office, Xbox and Windows OS (PC) continue to sell well, Microsoft will be able to dump money into making WindowsPhone successful. It will be interesting to see how the next version of Windows for the PC does with some people not liking the Metro UI. As that money gets sent down to windowsphone continued development. I'm waiting for the white 900 and for the next couple of years no one should be worrying about MS's commitment to WP. But if Windows 8 isnt a big success for the PC and tablet market then it might give some people pause.

How long will shareholders allow Microsoft to burn cash without gaining market share? And why would Windows 8 be a success? Windows 7 is awesome (coming from a Mac user that's high praise) and people don't like change. Microsoft is not in a dire position, but they need things to break right, which is no guarantee.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Three little words.........I don't care.

I love my WP phone and I learn new about it every day. It was the right choice for me and that is all I need. I believe that after almost two years this os is finally getting the attention it deserves but even if for some it fails in the future my world isn't going to end. My phone will still work and when if fails I'll buy another cheap on Ebay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05