Google Account Error / Won't Connect - Sync

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I did this and I can see all my google contacts in my live account online, but they are not showing up on my phone. Already re-synced my live account twice on the phone, but they are not there. I tried to delete the live account but I guess you can't without wiping your whole phone. Did I miss something?

This is because it hasn't yet synced with your live account, I believe the default timer is to sync every thirty minutes. If you force it to sync "as items arrive" on your phone, it should push all the contacts right on your phone. Then you can reset it to "every 30 minutes" or whatever you like.

Edit: I tried this with a Test contact and it worked a-OK, but I added directly to Live, let me know if you are still having issues

Last edited:

jragatz

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This is because it hasn't yet synced with your live account, I believe the default timer is to sync every thirty minutes. If you force it to sync "as items arrive" on your phone, it should push all the contacts right on your phone. Then you can reset it to "every 30 minutes" or whatever you like.

Edit: I tried this with a Test contact and it worked a-OK, but I added directly to Live, let me know if you are still having issues

Question: will doing ruin syncing if you update on your phone? in other words, if i add a contact or calendar event on my phone (after syncing the google services with Live) will it then push up to Live and then up to Google? Contacts isn't as big a deal with syncing for now i guess as i can re-upload at a later time, but the calendar is pointless if its not syncing across everything

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Question: will doing ruin syncing if you update on your phone? in other words, if i add a contact or calendar event on my phone (after syncing the google services with Live) will it then push up to Live and then up to Google? Contacts isn't as big a deal with syncing for now i guess as i can re-upload at a later time, but the calendar is pointless if its not syncing across everything

I think by "sharing" it does update, but I am not sure if it will go back to Google from your phone, you would have to test it. Manual imports of just the file will not update.

I hate to say it, but after moving to Windows Live calendar, I like the functionality more than Google...I am not saying you should change the way you do things, or all out stop using Google Calendar, but I am putting it out there because you can sync all your current stuff for sure...and what better time to make the leap with a beautiful Lumia 900 that I wish I had :(

Last edited:

iwannhs

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Same problem for Nokia Lumia 710. Gmail won't sync, getting:
m.google.com is currently unavailable. try again later. error code: 85010017

Lost a day searching in forums for a workaround with no luck..

it is really annoying.. I am going to sell it and return to my old-trusty blackberry where email-contacts-calendar synced at once with no issues.

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The error isn't specific to the Windows Phones as a whole. The m.google.com server is a ActiveSync server, for non Android phones to sync (based on Exchange) contacts/calendar and push mail, when you are setting up using the gMail feature in the WP7 E-Mail and accounts features. (basically it's trying to use activesync and it's not working right)

It's very typical of Google's active sync servers to " go haywire ".. I had setup my gmail account as Exchange, on my iPhone, and quite often would receive this error. Reliability is one reason I don't use google's services anymore.

Setting it up manually using IMAP should resolve that. But of course, calendar and contact sync with IMAP is a different story.

Personally, I would login to gmail, and export my contacts - import them into a hotmail account ,and set that up in your WP7 device, to sync contacts.

Edit: I noticed the error code that's being given. The error is a very old ActiveSync error, and MSFT Has a KB article on it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912242

While the article doesn't offer resolution on this specific to gmail, a quick Bing search yields many with this issue on a variety of mobile OS platforms: http://www.bing.com/search?q=85010017+gmail&go=&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=85010017+gmail&sc=1-15&sp=-1&sk=

Last edited:

bredbu

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Current work around: enable IMAP through gmail.com and set up your gmail as an IMAP account.

To do this: log onto your gmail account, hit the cog in the top right hand corner and click "settings" from the dropdown menu, from the top choose "Enable Forwarding and POP/IMAP", hit Enable IMAP, and remember to SAVE your settings at the bottom.

On your phone: settings, add email, etc. setup gmail as "Other Accounts", enter your information and you should be gtg.

Worked wonderful on my device

this did work thanks

mstudney50

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
On my second Lumia 900. First one rebooted itself to death. Finally wouldn't turn on. That was yesterday. Got it set up fine and everything worked before it died.

Got a new phone today and everything is working except my google account which won't connect or sync.

I get:

Google Error

Not Updated

m.google.com is currently unavailable. Try again later.

Error code 85010017

Now I can connect via pc to my google account. I can log in fine. I have deleted and re-added the account on the lumia - and even did a complete phone reset - and still I cannont get it to connect to email or sync. Nothing.

Extremely frustrating as I keep all my contacts and calendar on Google.

Thoughts? Anyone else having this issue?
Having same issue. Same exact experience. I returned my pre-ordered Lumia 900 phone due to scratch on screen when I receieved it... with the new one, I am having Data issues AND I cannot connect to Gmail. I tried 2 separate accounts, one of which I never connected to a phone before and neither worked.

iwannhs

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have used google exchange settings in previous nokia phones with symbian s60 and it worked without issues. I believe it's a microsoft issue.. Reading a link from a previous post mentioning that it could be an activesync issue that microsoft could be aware? Anyway.. I have a "device failure". These features should work out of the box, and should be properly pass QA before releasing. Otherwise the default "add gmail" feature should have only imap as available option and not trying with exchange settings.

Using imap works fine, but this is not a case. The fact is that using a gmail on WP7 device (nokia lumia 710 in my case) , supporting contact-calandar sync, is not possible.

So this makes me an unsatisfied customer and I would definitely look for another device (iphone or android) that fits to my needs.. one main basic need: use my google mail-contact-calendar without issues.

Hacks like using hotmail to pass my contacts are not acceptable for me.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used google exchange settings in previous nokia phones with symbian s60 and it worked without issues. I believe it's a microsoft issue.. Reading a link from a previous post mentioning that it could be an activesync issue that microsoft could be aware? Anyway.. I have a "device failure". These features should work out of the box, and should be properly pass QA before releasing. Otherwise the default "add gmail" feature should have only imap as available option and not trying with exchange settings.

Using imap works fine, but this is not a case. The fact is that using a gmail on WP7 device (nokia lumia 710 in my case) , supporting contact-calandar sync, is not possible.

So this makes me an unsatisfied customer and I would definitely look for another device (iphone or android) that fits to my needs.. one main basic need: use my google mail-contact-calendar without issues.

Hacks like using hotmail to pass my contacts are not acceptable for me.

This issue just started happening now, a few days after the Lumia 900 was launched.

Too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

LexFrost

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 900 on Monday and the Gmail feature worked fine. I started having touch screen issues with the phone so I exchanged it yesterday and now gmail gives me the same error that has been posted here.

Instead of a work around, has anyone actually brought this error up to AT&T or Nokia??? I am sure they can issue a fix that would solve the problem. If enough people show that it is indeed an issue, it will get fixed. I will be bring my phone back into the AT&T store and showing them the problem and if all else fails, exchanging it again for another Lumia to see if it is specific to certain phones.

CFC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 900 on Monday and the Gmail feature worked fine. I started having touch screen issues with the phone so I exchanged it yesterday and now gmail gives me the same error that has been posted here.

Instead of a work around, has anyone actually brought this error up to AT&T or Nokia??? I am sure they can issue a fix that would solve the problem. If enough people show that it is indeed an issue, it will get fixed. I will be bring my phone back into the AT&T store and showing them the problem and if all else fails, exchanging it again for another Lumia to see if it is specific to certain phones.

This isn't a Lumia issue. My wife's new Titan has the same behavior. It's a Google/WP issue.

CFC

infinitelurker

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

This appears to be an issue on Google's side, and has nothing to do with either Microsoft or Nokia. There are posts in the XDA-Developers.com and Google support forums from users of a bunch of different devices (including Android!) having the same problem. Hopefully they get it worked out soon.

sirkirby

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
was working on my titan

Whats strange to me is that this was working on my titan just before i sold it for the lumia 900 yesterday. Just doesn't make any senses. I also know two other people with Lumia 900's that don't have the issue at all, so i'm totally baffled.

I'm holding out hope that this is somehow a phone software issue that will be fixed on Monday, but like many of you I too think that this must be a problem with Google. I've had nothing but issues syncing with Google on my Windows phone, even before this.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This appears to be an issue on Google's side, and has nothing to do with either Microsoft or Nokia. There are posts in the XDA-Developers.com and Google support forums from users of a bunch of different devices (including Android!) having the same problem. Hopefully they get it worked out soon.

Thanks for the info. OP should edit the first post!

jragatz

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
so, anyone get a reply from Google, MS, or Nokia with news about this? The Hotmail/Windows Live sync workarounds are nice, but not really acceptable to me; i don't want to migrate my stuff from Google to other services when these specific services work great for me on PC, ipad, etc. Although this is a major inconvenience, I'm willing to wait it out if it actually gets fixed soon. As far as I can tell its hitting more Lumia 900s than anything else, but also other Windows Phones and apparrently non-WP7 devices according to infinitelurker.

perhaps the most frustrating thing is that the IE9 mobile browser isn't an adequate workaround. If this happened on my old iphone, id wait it out and use safari to just access the mobile gmail and calendar sites (i guess id still be out of luck on contacts). on IE9, these sites are virtually unusable.

Thanks to everyone who has looked into this and shared information though. I think we are all very frustrated that such a basic feature is going so haywire without a clear culprit. I'd rather not return my device, but I guess if it's not fixed by Monday's patch at the latest I'll try

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, this can't be an account issue. My iPhone is still syncing everything with my Gmail account just fine and it's set up as an Exchange account, hitting m.google.com. All of my other devices are working fine as well (Kindle Fire, iPad 3, etc.).

For me, this is specifically an issue with my Titan II. I wonder if it has to do with the way that Windows Phones authenticate with m.google.com.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre