Vibrate Rattle

Kon-Aitor

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I had a Titan a while back and it did it too, There are a few small issues like this that I have only noticed on 2nd Gen hardware... so weird.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
No need in using such an offensive word.
So, I own two Lumias. Mine, a black one, and my girlfriend's, a cyan one. My vibrate has that disgusting, something-is-loose rattle when it vibrates. Most of you have experienced the same thing, so I thought it was normal. However, hers doesn't do it. Today I went to my AT&T store, and none of the rep handsets did it either. So, I exchanged mine, it appeared to not do it. But, after having it for some time, it does it, and it's driving me crazy. What is driving me crazier, is that their handsets rattled when flicked near the camera, but didn't rattle on texts, calls, etc. It is so god damned annoying now lol. Have any of you figured out WHAT is rattling? Or how to stop it?

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

anon(5340692)

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I've posted this elsewhere, but it seems more appropriate here, please excuse the copy/paste.

I went to 3 different AT&T stores (South New Jersey, outside of Philadelphia) looking for a white L-900 to replace mine that has the issue with the camera lens/vibration rattling. One store had 2 white phones in stock, plus the display model. The second and third store had no stock of the white phone. All of the white display models had the same issue.

I was met with everything from indifference to "You switched from an iPhone 4 to that? Why?"

In the first store, the salesperson just tried to rush me out of the store as quickly as possible. Telling me that I should just call Nokia. When I mentioned that their display model suffered from the issue, he just shrugged.

In the second store, I actually got someone to listen, but it took some effort to get him to get another phone and test it for me. It also had the issue. Again, I was told to call Nokia to "make sure they're aware of the issue."

The third store was where I was asked why I would do something such as buy a Lumia and told that I should've waited for the new (HTC, I believe?) Windows phone which will "be awesome because it has a 16MP camera."

I really hope AT&T/Nokia pull their heads out of the sand on this one. They were quick to acknowledge the data connection issues, but not this. Possibly because it doesn't affect the use of the phone? Possibly because the phone was eventually free to a for a lot of people? I"m not sure.

What I do know is that I love this phone (despite it's flaws) and that I would LOVE to talk it up and recommend it to people. But, I can't honestly sing this phone's praises, and won't attempt to sell people on it because of these issues. I'm positive that I'm not the only person that feels this way. This can do nothing to help the efforts of Microsoft/Nokia.

I am disappoint.

vantil

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I really hope AT&T/Nokia pull their heads out of the sand on this one. They were quick to acknowledge the data connection issues, but not this. Possibly because it doesn't affect the use of the phone? Possibly because the phone was eventually free to a for a lot of people? I"m not sure.

Possibly because:
1. It not a huge issue, but a minor annoyance, unlike the data connection bug
2. It only affects some phones
3. There might be no easy fix
4. They don't want to advertise a minor annoyance that they can't easily fix

Have you tried the app shown here though: ATT Nokia Lumia 900 Rattle.mp4 - YouTube
Adjust the vibrate frequency?

anon(5340692)

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Possibly because:
1. It not a huge issue, but a minor annoyance, unlike the data connection bug
2. It only affects some phones
3. There might be no easy fix
4. They don't want to advertise a minor annoyance that they can't easily fix

Have you tried the app shown here though: ATT Nokia Lumia 900 Rattle.mp4 - YouTube
Adjust the vibrate frequency?

1. Minor annoyance, yes. Reason not to promote the phone and get other people to give Win Pho and Nokia a chance, also yes.

2. True, but apparently it's a pretty good number of phones that it affects. Especially among the new batch of white ones. I had a black one that was fine, but EVERY white phone I've put my hands on has had this issue. Also, among the display models in stores, 2 more cyan and one black. In the grand scheme a small number (maybe), but still, that's every phone available within 15 miles of here in the suburbs of a major market (Philly).

3. Also true, this is apparently a hardware problem, short of giving me a new phone without the issue I don't see a fix. But, I do hold out hope for a new phone that works properly. My major concern is that there's obviously something wrong with the camera mechanism. How long will it remain an annoyance and not manifest itself into a major issue is an unknown. But there is something mechanical that is not right inside the phone. I can't see this being a good thing in the long run.

4. Of course they don't but word is spreading pretty fast among the community of early adopters. All of whom are key to the success of this venture. Seeing how so (relatively) few people are giving them a shot here, it's probably in the best interest of the hardware manufacturer to make sure the ones that do are happy and will go out and encourage others to jump on board.

I have used the app and it exacerbates the problem when set at default. Set to a lower intensity setting, the problem is less noticeable, but the app doesn't run all the time (nor would I want it to, I like to have some battery longevity) and I don't believe that it controls the vibration when a call or a message is received.

I'm taking this too seriously, I know. I love the phone, and it's just a small annoyance. But, honestly, I was hoping for a more solid product from Nokia. They're better than this. And the response that I got at 3 AT&T stores (two corporate, one franchise) was horrifying. I've been one of the few that have never had a single issue with AT&T in the 12 years that I've been a customer of theirs so it came as a bit of a shock to me because I'm used to being treated very well by their customer service staff.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea, now that the data bug is fixed, the rattle when my vibrate first starts up is my only major gripe. I want to try to swap it out, but it isn't even all that noticeable, and I doubt they would even let me. Might swap out for a black just as an excuse to try a different one. I would miss the Cyan though.

Piscus

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I own a white model and the vibration rattle is getting worse and worse. It is so loud that it will wake me up in the middle of the night.

I will have to stop by the ATT store...

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine has a horrible rattle. Is this problem widespread or just some phones?? I made a short video to show the problem since I didn't see any on the web. Even though the vibration is kicked up, it should in no way do this. Video: ATT Nokia Lumia 900 Rattle.mp4 - YouTube

Just watched this...if that is the rattle that people are complaining about, then my "rattle" must be normal. Mine is nowhere near that bad. Just a little at the beggining and end.

EDIT: Actually, using Simple Vibrator makes my phone sound worse. I was just using the Vibrate in the diagnostics before, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad.

Last edited:

Piscus

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm just wondering if it's supposed to sound that way.. could be intentional maybe?
It cannot be intentional. The purpose of having the phone in vibration mode is to be silent and quiet.

This is just not normal. Mine is not as bad as the one shown on the video but it is really annoying.

Ethere

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
So I swapped my Lumia for another one, and when he took it out of the box, it didn't have the rattle, but now it does, but no where near as bad as the first one. The camera sucks just as bad though.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I took mine in this morning when they opened... the lady helping me thought I was nuts at first... until she heard it. Swapped it on the spot. So now that the rattle is gone, the purple hue on the screen is back on automatic lighting....

I can't win with this phone. So much beauty, yet so frustrating!

Dre325

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
My white Lumia makes a strange sound when it vibrates. When I get an email with my phone on silent sitting at my desk at work it sounds less like a vibrate and more like the vibrate feature is broken like there's a metal on metal contact. It sounds a bit weird even when pressing the touch buttons on the front of the phone.

I would hate to return and have to resetup all my apps, etc, but what's the general consensus out there? I don't want to exchange it only to have the same issue surface in a week. Has anyone contacted Nokia for their official stance on this issue?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I went to AT&T yesterday again. New phones are still doing this... Its so frustrating, I just want to switch my phone for one that doesn't rattle and move on

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss