Lumia 900 overheating plus battery problem?

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The weaker your signal, the more transmit power the cell radio needs to keep connected to a tower. This will indeed drain your battery much faster than if you aren't struggling to keep connectivity, and it will make the phone noticeably warm. There's nothing wrong with the phone if this happens, per se, although if it happens a lot and you aren't in a low signal area (or if you aren't using WiFi or 3G/4G actively for a long time), you might have a real reason for a swap.

It's usually how much TX the phone has to do though that causes this - if you notice you've got one bar or are bouncing between 3G/4G/Edge (or both) for any extended length of time, you can expect the battery life to suffer quite a bit, and the phone will get warm.

waynejk

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
With previous phones, I can vouch for higher battery drain when in low coverage areas or constantly switching between 2G/3G/4G. But in my case, I definitely had a lemon Lumia 900. I haven't experienced the purple keyboard or other general flakiness with the new phone yet. If anyone is in doubt and still within the 30 day return timeframe on AT&T, I'd highly recommend swapping it out for a replacement.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Happens somewhat random for me. Generally occurs when I'm trying to access data with low signal. I wonder if this can be attributed to the previous problem of memory management.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been having this same problem. I thought it was some background tasks at first, but definitely not. I expect the phone to get warm when I'm playing games, not uncomfortably hot when signal is weak. Also, I've seen my battery life drop 70-80% within 3 hours while signal's weak. The only way I've found to stop the battery from draining more is to turn the phone off and back on.

Thought I'd bring this thread back up.

I experienced "hot phone" issues a couple of times in the first two months of ownership, but since installing the Nokia update last week (7.10.8112.7), it has happened almost every day and sometimes a couple of times per day.

The phone works fine most of the time, typical battery discharge rate is 1-2% per hour when in standby, and 5-10% per hour when doing stuff. *Except* during a "hot phone" event... then I notice the thing getting hot in my pocket for no reason, and it discharges 25% in an hour, and the Diagnostics/Battery Status display shows 400~700 mA discharge, instead of the usual ~100mA.

By "hot" I don't mean "smoking hot", but I do mean "much warmer than during normal active operation", and also "noticeably hot to the touch, though not painfully hot". Pretty clearly the phone should not be getting hot on its own when it is not in use.

Doing a power cycle seems to clear the problem. I've had mixed results using the Back button to go back through all recently open apps and close them. I've got Settings/Applications/Background Tasks set to 'Off' for everything that's settable.

I've been trying to establish repeatable conditions that provoke the problem, so far without success. Sometimes it happens after a busy use session (e.g. repeatedly switching between camera, email, OneNote, and Calendar apps), but not always... sometimes it happens in situations where cell signal may be low, but not always.

Anyone else had problems with the phone getting warm in their pocket, or while lying on a desktop... and moreso since the recent software update?

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
I have the same experience of EddyKilowatt with my Lumia 900 OS version 7.10.8773.98, really no more to add to his experience.

just one: I have a couple of email accounts (hotmail and an exchange one) and during the "hot" condition, if I start email synchronization it stays on "synchronizing" on each account endlessly, without downloading anything.

this is not due to weak signal, since as soon as I reboot the smartphone - remaining in the same place - everything is ok and downloading is excellent... until the next "hot".

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
Yes. You just have one of the remaining lemon units. It definitely should not do that. My replacement works great and I love the phone more than ever.
can you elaborate what you intend for 'lemon units'?

my hardware revision is 112.1914.2.0; hardware radio is 8055.

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
I have the same experience of EddyKilowatt with my Lumia 900 OS version 7.10.8773.98, really no more to add to his experience.

just one: I have a couple of email accounts (hotmail and an exchange one) and during the "hot" condition, if I start email synchronization it stays on "synchronizing" on each account endlessly, without downloading anything.

this is not due to weak signal, since as soon as I reboot the smartphone - remaining in the same place - everything is ok and downloading is excellent... until the next "hot".

quick follow-up just to say I ended up by replacing my device and all defects are gone, battery is ok and it never go hot. I installed of the apps I had with my previous unit.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm bringing this thread back up from the grave lol has anyone experienced the phone heating up while charging? I was charging it overnight and when I woke up it scared me something bad lol I turned it off and let it cool off before turning it back on...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

mikethebikeone

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520 overheating plus battery problem?

I have a lumia 520 and it gets hot while in my pocket so much that I had to take it out and cool it down ! It stops working while it's hot and I had to remove the battery to make it work again,is this a common problem ???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo