Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts
    Hello everyone, there appears to many different points of views on this. Typically I have always deep cycled a battery the first few times. I am thinking of not doing it with the Lumia based on reading that not only is this unnecessary, it can be detrimental to the battery and to the phone to allow the phone to shut off suddenly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much :)

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    i drained my battery down to nothing and shutoff on its own. Phone normal after recharge.

Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    i drained my battery down to nothing and shutoff on its own. Phone normal after recharge.
    Thanks. Maybe I will as well but just not make habit of it. Lol

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    There seems to be some debate on the 900's battery life. I use to do the same on my smartphones, but to me, the battery life on the 900 seems to be pretty good and I haven't pre-conditioned it. It has only had 3 full charges, but none of them from getting the battery to the point it shuts down the phone. I hope more people can shed some more light in this topic in case I'm missing anything.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Owned Smartphones:
    HTC PPC-6700 > HTC Touch Diamond > Samsung Moment > iPhone 4 32GB > HTC HD7S > Nokia Lumia 900 > Nokia Lumia 920

Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts
    My previous 3 phones were Androids and none of them had the battery saving feature of 20%. So I was kind of wondering if it was not an indirect caution to not let it go down too far. After 22 hours I have 17% left and none of my Androids came close it this. I am on my first full charge.

I hope more people will chime in as well.

I think my battery indicator is trolling me after the heavy usage I put it through... Been 19 hours since last charge... It says 7 hours with 45% left. It has drop 3 % in the last 2 hours. It started off with 100% with only 12 hour life... I think the battery indicator is a bit buggy.
    The new lithium ion batteries do not suffer from "memory" like older batteries do. They do not, repeat NOT, need to be conditioned. What you are actually doing is shortening the amount of time you have before your battery starts to degrade. You see, lithium ion batteries have a limited number of power cycles at optimum capacity. DO NOT "CONDITION" YOUR BATTERY!
    Thanked by:
    TMavC5 

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I always do this with every electronic device I purchase. I would highly recommend it. I used to have a Palm Pre, and the second one I got I forgot to stretch and always noticed a difference. Its purely anecdotal but I believe it helps.

I've noticed that the battery life for my phone has gotten better over time. When I first charged it, I barely got 6 hours out of it with hardly any use. Now I'm going well past 12 with moderate use. Seemed like it took a few charge cycles to really "kick in". I was worried at first but now am really happy about the battery life of the Lumia 900.

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    The new lithium ion batteries do not suffer from "memory" like older batteries do. They do not, repeat NOT, need to be conditioned. What you are actually doing is shortening the amount of time you have before your battery starts to degrade. You see, lithium ion batteries have a limited number of power cycles at optimum capacity. DO NOT "CONDITION" YOUR BATTERY!
    What he said. Fully discharging an Li-ion battery every time will decrease its over all life span and slowly lower it's charge capacity.

You can do it once in awhile to reset the internal battery meter to true zero.

Good article on LifeHacker about lithium-ion charging. Pretty much what freestaterocker said: How Often Should I Charge My Gadget's Battery to Prolong Its Lifespan?.

Might look into getting a conserve socket tho.

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    That's great except for the part about not leaving it plugged in after reaching 100%. I don't see why that matters. The internal circuity will protect the battery.

Now I just wish we could display the actual % or at least the battery symbol all the time.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sting2k7 View Post
    That's great except for the part about not leaving it plugged in after reaching 100%. I don't see why that matters. The internal circuity will protect the battery.
    Shouldn't. The L900 cycles from 97 to 100%, after it has reach 100% the first time. Using the homebrew Battery Meter I can see this in the history graph.

Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmuggs- View Post
    I've noticed that the battery life for my phone has gotten better over time. When I first charged it, I barely got 6 hours out of it with hardly any use. Now I'm going well past 12 with moderate use. Seemed like it took a few charge cycles to really "kick in". I was worried at first but now am really happy about the battery life of the Lumia 900.
    Same thing with the Focus, it took a week or two, but eventually got better battery life and that's without conditioning the battery (which i dont recommend doing with WP devices).

Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone, I am glad I decided to ask before I just did my usual deep cycle. I am on my second charge and yes it is getting better, not that it wasn't great compared to my Androids already.

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Shouldn't. The L900 cycles from 97 to 100%, after it has reach 100% the first time. Using the homebrew Battery Meter I can see this in the history graph.

It seems the Lumia behaves like iOS devices. Once it reaches 100% it discharges a little and then will trickle back to 100% very slowly; possibly do it again if still plugged into the power.

I noticed this last night.