Nokia Lumia 900 Good and Bad

wasonamit

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The contact picture complain the OP has is incorrect. I have used a picture from mu camera roll and it has full resolution

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Bad:
1. Weird Bluetooth, can't be connected to your car and use Voice Turn By Turn.
Also no tones, text or email work when connected to BT.

Is your car equiped with A2DP?

2. Headset volume when listening to music is the same settings for the Ringtones, so if your ringer is set high, like 25 or higher and you plug into a headset and start your music, be prepared to blow out your ear drums. No separate media volume.

Don't have this issue at all.

3. No Video MMS, and No Picture MMS when on WiFi. MMS ONLY works on ATT Network.

No problems sending through WIFI.

4. No 1080 video recording. Camera takes ok shots, has some strange pink spot when you look at a all white background thru the camera lens.

I knew this before I bough my Nokia. Apollo equipment will be much better hardware due to release later this year. :)

5. No Vibration for Text or eMail

Check your Ringtones+sounds. Make sure they are both toggle on.

6. Vibration has some weird rattle when it starts.

All WP7 phones start like this, some lounder some are quite.

7. No real multi tasking, when you leave an app, you sometimes have to restart it. Like if your using Nokia Drive, it will not run in the background. So if you get a phone call, it looses the GPS signal.

Multi Tasking are there, some apps still have not covert to Mango yet.

8. Phone is kinda heavy. weighs more than the iPhone 4S.

iphone 4.9 ounces
L900 5.6 ounces (not bad consiering its much bigger than iPhone)

9. Limited number of Apps.

70K and growing

10. If you have a Contact picture set for someone, no matter where you get the picture, when that person calls you and you get a Caller ID, he picture is blurry. I've tried using the camera to take the shot, from my computer, doesn't matter.

You can use any picture you want for your contacts. If you setup Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, you will get those picture instead the one you have on your phone. But you can manually change what picture you want for contact. You will need to link muliple contacts together as one.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, MMS ONLY works over ATT, NO WIFI.
I normally have my phone go to WiFi when I'm home, so I wont be able to get MMS's while on WiFi.
Another step backwards IMO.
Every phone I know can be on WiFi and still get MMS
But aren't texts/MMS sent via the network? It would make sense to retrieve the MMS from the network as well.

I use a N8, with an AT&T sim, and retrieve MMS from the network (none of my data allowance is used for the retrieval). I get charged the standard MMS text rate. It takes a while to download, depending on the size.

bothfly737

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
So you can send a MMS Picture when connected to WiFi??
I do not think so, I tried several times then found where someone said it was a limitation.

But after reading everyones responses, maybe I just have a bad unit.
As for Headset, put your ringing on 30/30, plug in a headset and start the music and be ready to be blown out. There is no separate media volume, I even called Nokia today about this.

kicknik

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
"Battery life is pretty good. Not as good as iPhone"

Wait, what?

I have used most phones including an iPhone 4 and 4s, and having used the 4s more recently, I can easily say the battery on the lumia is much better. I always get at least full days use with heavy browsing while my 4s would always die at about 5pm...

Another understated thing about this phone is the radio. I thought the iPhone radio wss good at getting signal but the 900 blows even that away, not to mention any android phones I've had like the galaxy nexus. This always grabs at least one or two more bars with faster data speed regardless of LTE or not.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
So you can send a MMS Picture when connected to WiFi??
I do not think so, I tried several times then found where someone said it was a limitation.

But after reading everyones responses, maybe I just have a bad unit.
As for Headset, put your ringing on 30/30, plug in a headset and start the music and be ready to be blown out. There is no separate media volume, I even called Nokia today about this.
Sounds like you do have a bad unit, mine behaves just like as the others described.

I just sent myself a test MMS while on WiFi and received it fine on my Lumia.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not experiencing the bluetooth or MMS issues the OP has found. The phone reads text messages through my speakers in my car while connected to bluetooth. Haven't tried the turn by turn yet. As far as the MMS issues others seem to be having, my girlfriend went on a rampage and send me 10 pictures of pugs earlier today. Now I wish I had these problems!

turn by turn worked on garmin and navigon for me, not really a fan of nokia drive its a little basic but i am sure the voice would come on through bluetooth as the others do.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
To recieve MMS, you have to be on AT&T network, Lumia or not. Whether your WiFi is ON or OFF shouldn't matter. The message is routed through the AT&T MMS gateway. I am not aware of any phone which sends/receives MMS through any other means. If it exists, you shouldn't be calling it MMS, as MMS is part of GSM standard. Either you follow the standard, or you don't.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Another "I switched to Lumia and here's what I don't like about it" thread.

Yeah man enough is enough. Moderators either need to merge these threads or delete them all together. Anyone not happy with their device, return it, be done with it and move on..

fuunkychicken

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
To recieve MMS, you have to be on AT&T network, Lumia or not. Whether your WiFi is ON or OFF shouldn't matter. The message is routed through the AT&T MMS gateway. I am not aware of any phone which sends/receives MMS through any other means. If it exists, you shouldn't be calling it MMS, as MMS is part of GSM standard. Either you follow the standard, or you don't.

Agreed. I always have WiFi on and connected and my MMS has been flawless. Ensure you're in a strong data coverage area as MMS relies on HSPA 3G or any of their 4G technologies to receive.

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Bad:
1. Weird Bluetooth, can't be connected to your car and use Voice Turn By Turn.
Also no tones, text or email work when connected to BT.

2. Headset volume when listening to music is the same settings for the Ringtones, so if your ringer is set high, like 25 or higher and you plug into a headset and start your music, be prepared to blow out your ear drums. No separate media volume.

3. No Video MMS, and No Picture MMS when on WiFi. MMS ONLY works on ATT Network.

4. No 1080 video recording. Camera takes ok shots, has some strange pink spot when you look at a all white background thru the camera lens.

5. No Vibration for Text or eMail

6. Vibration has some weird rattle when it starts

7. No real multi tasking, when you leave an app, you sometimes have to restart it. Like if your using Nokia Drive, it will not run in the background. So if you get a phone call, it looses the GPS signal.

8. Phone is kinda heavy. weighs more than the iPhone 4S.

9. Limited number of Apps.

10. If you have a Contact picture set for someone, no matter where you get the picture, when that person calls you and you get a Caller ID, he picture is blurry. I've tried using the camera to take the shot, from my computer, doesn't matter.

Good:

1. Phone is basically FREE

2. The UI is fresh and better than IOS and Android.

3. Phone is nice to hold but a little heavy. Great design

4. Has LTE

5. Call quality is very good and clear.

6. Speaker is very loud and clear, no Android tin like speaker sounds.

7. Has great Mac iTunes sync software.

8. Has enough apps to get you by, no great amount but it has the ones you want.

9. Battery life is pretty good. Not as good as iPhone, but better than Android.

10. Is totally different than anything out there right now.

I really want to like this phone, I've been posting about issues I've listed above.
I don't want to return to the iPhone, but I just don't see keeping this thing.
If your new to smartphones, then nothing on my list will most likely matter.
But it seems that this phone is a step backwards in tech. Sure the UI is fresh and nice to look at but everything else is not.
IMO of course:confused:

Its a good honest attempt to like this phone. I can't blame you. iPhone might be better for you. Just as iPhone isn't for everyone, either is Lumia 900. This phone isn't meant to lure former iPhone users--its meant to take marketshare from Android and from people who don't yet have smartphones. At least, that's mango's goal.

If you want to wait, upcoming enhancements to the OS will resolve many of these issues and likely add many more features. However, the wait will be another half year.

Do return to iOS, but think about us next time!

raidel00

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So I can send a MMS Picture message fine to my Wifes iPhone but I can't get one from it.
I get some text link saying Get media content now, but when I click on it nothing happens. I sent a test MMS pic, but no luck.

Did you used to have an iPhone? If you did....and you didn't turn off iMessages before you activated your Lumia 900 then your phone number is still tied to iMessages on the Apple servers. This will cause ANYONE with an iPhone and iMessage on to not being to able to send you messages (I had this issue). So take your sim card and put it into the iPhone 4 and then turn off iMessage with that sim card in. After you have turned off iMessage on the iPhone with your sim card in it...it will unregister your number from Apple servers for iMessage. Then you can pop the sim card back in the Lumia 900, if you have data issues with it...you're going to have to call AT&T to get them to "refresh your profile" I had to do it, but it could have been because of the data bug at the time.
After you do that go to this link...https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do and unregister your iPhone 4 and if your phone number is anywhere on that site...delete it. I did all that and it worked for me...I'm able to receive messages from iPhone users who still had me showing as having iMessage.

This link explains a little more the the use of the link I posted.
http://articles.businessinsider.com..._1_iphone-android-phone-phone-or-other-device

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah man enough is enough. Moderators either need to merge these threads or delete them all together. Anyone not happy with their device, return it, be done with it and move on..

Why is it people aren't allowed to post their frustrations with the device? I didn't realize that the forum was only meant for people who think it's the best device out there.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

Why? OP is listing valid criticisms and doing so in a civil manner. He's listing differences from his previous platform and asking the community if he's doing something wrong or if these are limitations of the OS.

Silencing valid criticisms and turning this forum into an echo chamber isn't good for anyone.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
People are so spoiled by small features of iOS and Android is sounds. I am so used to windows phone, none of these things bother me, but going away from 4g, live tiles, skydrive, zune pass, and the lumia design would stink!

Pros and Cons people... WP is an OS that has intangibles that grow on you, it is hard to explain!

capus5

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth works great for me on my 900,MMS also except video MMS. As I am typing this just got a vibration for a text coming in! Phone works great now that my data connection update has picked in! That was a pain! Love this phone and when I look at my wife's iPhone everything looks small and moves slow!

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Why? OP is listing valid criticisms and doing so in a civil manner. He's listing differences from his previous platform and asking the community if he's doing something wrong or if these are limitations of the OS.

Silencing valid criticisms and turning this forum into an echo chamber isn't good for anyone.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say it's alright to voice concerns/issues/suggestions/etc, but there are already threads and areas of the forums where this can be done. Do we really need 235345786 threads all talking about the same thing?

I remember hopping on the site to find different threads about different topics, not a flood of threads all talking about the same thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb